Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have removed the explanatory text for the sake of brevity, not to take DG's points out of context.

One, I am suspicious of online essays with sketchy citations and credentials. Maybe it is my overly-dissmissive, pointy-headed academic training, but so much online information is unreliable to makes it hard for me to take their points at face value.

That said, I'm starting to agree with DG on some of these points. Mrs. Afronaut is a lawyer and sees laws (gun and drug especially) applied unfairly to blacks and hispanics all the time. I.e. the penality for possession of the same amount of crack is A LOT higher than powered cocaine. Gun crimes can fall the same way. I am still a fan of much stricter gun control laws, but I can agree that what we have now disproportionally effects black, hispanics and the poor.

It's just that I think the laws should be rewritten and enforced differently, not scrapped or kneecapped (yes, yes, I know, a gun metaphor in a gun control argument."
    Last edited by afronaut; 11/03/2004 5:25pm at .
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by afronaut
    The points raised in the above citations are interesting, but I think ultimately uncompelling. I can agree that there were racist roots to gun control laws. But there WERE racist roots to election laws (poll taxes, banning blacks and women from voting ourtight, etc.) But that doesn't mean that all such regulations are automatically racist. Merely that they have a troubled past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Before I discuss how crazy that statement seems to me, I'm going to wait and see whether you actually meant to argue that since poll taxes and laws against black and female suffrage aren't so bad, gun laws aren't so bad, either. I can't shake the nagging feeling that you simply typed something that looked different from what you intended.

If not, I will await your explanation of the advantages of poll taxes and the disenfranchisement of blacks and women, but I really want to believe you didn't mean that.
    No, what I meant was that just because a certain type of law has had a bad past, does not mean that that kind of law is fundamentally flawed. Election laws in the past have been wrong and unconstitutional (the above poll taxes, banning women and blacks, etc.) but election laws like finance regulation and prohibiting campaigning too close to a polling place are good.

If gun control in the past (or even now) has been racist and / or ineffective, that doesn't mean it can't be fair effective now.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213