Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 11:46am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread sucks! (mostly because no one has ever tried an Omo plata against me)

I need more grappling practice. Wish I could find some time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 1:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WhiteShark, If it's any consolation, you could kick me 10 times in the face before I could omoplata you.

I know this thread is about counters to the omoplata, but Te No Kage! said he just learned this move, so I want to load him up with some more info about it in general, presented in a completely random order:

Warning: I'm a white belt, so much of what I say is probably wrong.

Make sure you make them lay as flat as possible before you try to crank their arm. If they are still on their knees, the pressure on the shoulder is much harder to get, and you'll have to crank it much farther than normal to get the submission.

Drill transitioning between omoplatas, triangles and armbars. You can often get from any one of those submissions to another. My success has come from turning failed triangles into omoplatas, and failed omoplatas into armbars.

You can also use the omoplata as a sweep, and a setup for other submissions and sweeps. The Triangle by Rigan Machado has a bunch of triangle chokes that are setup using the omoplata, since the move has you swing out and capture one arm, making it ideal for swinging back in again for the triangle.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 10/18/2004 1:04pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 1:29pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the reverse omoplata, I'm trying to dig up info on it so it makes sense to you people. From an interview with Antonio “Nino” Schembri about his fight with Fernando “Margarida” Pontes:

Nino- I got him in a Standing Reverse Shoulder lock (reverse omoplata), and blah blah blah.
    They are laying on their back for it, but I'm not sure how the arm and legs are intertwined. Attempting to stand up (which you cannot do without tearing their arm off) and bringing your legs back effects the submission. I'll get some pictures so I don't keep trying to describe something I saw when I was a 2 month white belt.

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 2:11pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    You're welcome. There's a purple belt at my school who omoplatas the **** out of me (and everyone else), so I've gotten to work on my counters to it more than my attacks with it.

You'll also be interested to know that there is also a reverse omoplata. I'm trying to find some pictures of it for you, since I suck at it too much to give a worthy explanation. I'll see if I can get my instructor to let me take some pictures of him teaching one, since I learned a fun one to do against a turtling opponent.

man i really want to bring my digital video recorder to class you think he'd let us.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 2:16pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think he'd want us giving out entire classes for free, but I don't think he'd mind showing a couple quick things. I'd just ask him about it. The worst that'll happen is he says no.

Oh, and I think you can guess who the purple belt is that I'm talking about.

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 2:33pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    umm no
    but maybe luke i dont really no any off the other purple but hes the best purple ive seen he taps the browns although he is huge
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 12:55pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your opponent is attacking your right arm, extend your right leg all the way back (after grabbing your own belt with your right hand). Place your left knee under your right leg (very close to him) and grab his leg with your left hand. You will then be able to roll to your left and end up on top of your opponent. It is not as tricky as it sounds
    Taken from Gustavo Dantas' Advanced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Omoplata.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2004 10:41am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this on my school's site. I'm pretty sure this is a reverse omoplata.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reverse_omoplata.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	2525  

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one set-up for the "Reverse Omoplata":
    Your opponent is on all fours, you're on his right side. Your right leg steps in between his hands and pulls his right arm away. Extend your right leg back so his arm slips off, then triangle your left ankle behind your right knee so his arm is caught, ready for the crucifix.
    Put your left shoulder on the floor, reach through your opponent's legs with your left hand and grab his pants at the left knee. Roll forward. If he doesn't roll his arm will rip off. When he rolls to release the pressure he will end up on his back. Post your left hand on the floor beneath his left armpit so he can't roll forward again to relieve the pressure. Lean your body forward like the picture Aesopian posted to finish the lock.

BTW, all of the DVD's from Stephan Kesting are excellent, the best instructionals I've ever seen.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/14/2004 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he has my right arm and his left arm is over my back, I extend my left leg and roll to my left.(I should add I have gotten a hand to hand grip if possible, or if failing that I've grabbed my pants at the waist).
    He tumbles over me, most of the time I wind up in side control after a scramble.I know a half dozen other escapes(many courtesy of Stephen Kestings sweet tape on the subject) but the above move which I was never taught, but just kinda stumbled onto is not only the highest percentage for me, but it's the one which leads to my gaining a positional advantage.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123