Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That book pimps. That is one of my top Judo books. Depending on how you like to fight, there is a decent Ashi waza book and Neil Adams Armlock book is also very good.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 1:12pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The uchimata book is a thing of beauty. Yamashita's O-Soto-Gari book is pretty good ... and Kashiwazaki's Shimewaza book is worth buying just for uke's facial expressions.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 4:20pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the equivalent of judo bukkake, I imagine.

Can someone tell me what kumi-kata means? I can't find it defined anywhere online.

aahhh...the colors

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i) To intentionally avoid taking hold in order to prevent action in the contest. (Kumi-kata gesture)

v) In a standing position, to continually hold the opponent's sleeve end(s) for a defensive purpose (Generally within 3 to 5 seconds) or to grasp by "screwing up" the sleeve. (Kumi-kata gesture)

vi) In a standing position, to continually keep the opponent's fingers of one or both hands interlocked, in order to prevent action in the contest. (Generally within 3 to 5 seconds). (Kumi-kata gesture)

x) In a standing position to take any grip other than a "normal" grip without attacking. (Generally within 3 to 5 seconds). (Kumi-kata gesture)

Taking a "pistol grip at the bottom of the sleeve" and "folding over the bottom of the sleeve end over" is a direct SHIDO. (Kumi-kata gesture).
    Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that kickboxing is commonly known as fighting while grappling simply isn't. - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 5:22pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kumi Kata is gripping in general. Those are illegal grips.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 6:37pm

Style: Sambo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what little I know, you don't do Sambo or Judo in Russia, you do Sambo and Judo. My Sambo coach was also a 2nd Dan in Judo and all the Russians guys we trained with knew Russian and Japanese terms and Techs. From most of the guys I've talked to and what I've seen, Russian Judo tends more towards more unorthodox grips, especially the belt grip, which was used a lot by my coach, which also led to some techs I haven't seen in other Judo, like the "Georgian Pickup".

And like Asia said arm bars were a big thing, flying armbars were seen as being a basic tech, and I learned how to do one at about the same tiem I leanred to do a shoulder throw, also more sacrifice throws.

As far as losing on the ground goes, that's true, there was definitly a bigger focus on groundfighting in Sambo than in any Judo class I took, and I remember my coach telling us that since the creation of Sambo no Russian Judoka has ever lost by armbar in the Olympics.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 7:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's illegal grips in judo? what's up with that?

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 7:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenfucius
    there's illegal grips in judo? what's up with that?
    Gripping with fingers inside and thumb outside a sleeve or pantleg is known as "pistol gripping" and not allowed because your hand can become trapped and bad things will happen. I think that's illegal in BJJ too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 7:59pm

Style: Sambo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also think anything other than collar and elbow is considered unorthodox and can only be held for 5 seconds or something. Depending on who you talk to you get different reasons why. I heard it was because the Russians were destroying the Japanese by using belt grip and such, but then again, I trained with Russians so consider the source.

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been told something similar to the Russia/Japan thing too. I think there are other wierd rules like you can hold the same side of the back as long as you want but once you cross the spine it's 5sec. maximum.

My view is that it's a gi sport, so unless a grip puts the competitors at personal risk then it should be legal.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast