Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    How entrenched in his bullshit is he, really? If you call him on it, will he flip?
    "sigh" He is very, very entrenched in his bullshit, whether we talk about MA or not. I wont discuss this guys problems online, but he does have some very serious self esteem issues. Me and his other buddies sometimes call him on it, but when we do he just keeps quite and/or changes the subject...

I am mostly used to this guys problems, but I never faced the prospect of actually having to beat him before. We sparred when we did jujutsu, but that was very light contact - we did our best to avoid hurting each other.

Now I am a bit worried about what will happen next week. If he fights as he did last week, he will get seriously beaten. And I dont know how to pull punches, I fight with everything Ive got whenever I put the gloves on.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    Maybe you can just keep kicking him in the thigh so he has a temporarily incapacitating injury to keep his ass from getting even more hurt?
    That is a possibility. We do use shin guards, however, and last time he got kicked in the thighs he refused to admit he was beaten because he said he could stand it all day...and I am more of a boxer to begin with, he kicks better than I do. I will have to punch him in the head, his hand defenses are not so good.

Mind you, I do not intend to go easy on him - if he beats me, he beats me.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, putting a beatin on him MAY just save his bacon.
    If he boasts to the wrong guy, some "Wanderlei Silva" type guy, may just lay him out really bad...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should tell your girlfriend ahead of time what the situation is so that she knows the score should his girlfriend complain to your girlfriend about your beating him like a heavy bag.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, that just sucks... the g/f angle makes it worse. You have two choices. Ignore the B.S. and hope he figures it out on his own, or call him on it hardcore and crush the sad, fabricated shell that is his self-image. Either way, I respect that you won't pull punches on him. Indulging his fantasy will only make it worse.
    Incidentally, I have a friend exactly like the one you are describing...there is no clean way to fix it. I haven't figured out how to make him stop bullshitting either. But when we spar, I don't pull anything and he always loses pretty bad. He doesn't like it and will often make excuses...and the net day he is bullshitting all over again. If you figure this out, let me know how you did it!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:49pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, since you're boxing-centric, and you can't pull blows, you're definitely gonna put some kind of hurt on this guy. At least with kicks, there's "padded" areas down below that can take more of a beating than a jaw or a nose.

Maybe.... you can pull a "de la Hoya beater" approach and just slam him in the guts till he pukes or can't breathe? I'm not saying how to fight or nothin, just trying to figure out how you can fulfill all the presented conditions.

And definitely have your gf talk to his gf.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    You know, putting a beatin on him MAY just save his bacon.
    If he boasts to the wrong guy, some "Wanderlei Silva" type guy, may just lay him out really bad...
    He does not boast per se, but he exaggerates quite a bit and creates an image which does not exist. He is not stupid enough to challenge the high level guys, or say he can beat them. But he does not acknowledge his own defeats either, which is almost as bad.

Fortunately I do not worry about his safety, the psychos at the gym are actually very nice people who wouldnt hurt others except in self defense. About telling my g/f about the situation...she does not like the fact that I do MT to begin with, telling her that I intend to beat the crap out of a friend would not be such a good idea.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Dude, that just sucks... the g/f angle makes it worse. You have two choices. Ignore the B.S. and hope he figures it out on his own, or call him on it hardcore and crush the sad, fabricated shell that is his self-image. Either way, I respect that you won't pull punches on him. Indulging his fantasy will only make it worse.
    Incidentally, I have a friend exactly like the one you are describing...there is no clean way to fix it. I haven't figured out how to make him stop bullshitting either. But when we spar, I don't pull anything and he always loses pretty bad. He doesn't like it and will often make excuses...and the net day he is bullshitting all over again. If you figure this out, let me know how you did it!
    Its sad isnt it. People like this are a pain in the ass, specially when they are friends. I dont think I will call him on anything, I will just spar as I usually do - if he can take it and give me some back, fine, if he cant I will beat him just as bad as I beat anyone else.

Steve, as I said, I would rather keep the ladies out of this. The less I talk about it before, the easier it will be to say that I didnt hurt him on purpose (if it comes to that). And I am more of a headhunter to begin with (although I am developing some decent body shots).

Mind you, I do not intend to risk anything more serious than a nosebleed. As I said time and time again, I am an unskilled fighter at best, and I do not have many options to begin with.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

$1.50

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: golf club jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I agree your friend needs a wake up call

I don't know WCL, but it's probably a good thing for your buddy to get a wake up call, either with you being the catalyst or not. The problem is your friend needs to take the plunge himself. Unfortunately beating him up may have the opposite effect since he's already low on self-esteem. You might just put him down for good.

I have a couple of good friends, known since high school days, which fall into these categories. After trying many ways to change them, based on what I felt was good for them, I realize my own flaws in thinking that I know better. I probably do :D but I really can't use my own standards against them. It does tell me you care a lot about him and frustrated... I'm there too :cool:

I say just let up a little and encourage his good habits, that's what I do these days. I think you'll come to accept them better and may be see the brighter side of things...

OR you can show him the light on the floor. Like my sensei says, you're not helping your partner, if you're not sparring at your very best.
    zenbert
    Hold me... :3some:

I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your a good man WCL. Not every one would be so concerned when a friend is acting somewhat less than honorably. The thing is, in my opinion, to go easy on him would maybe spare his feelings, but at what cost? Your integrity is worth more. I'm not saying to beat him, even if maybe he needs it, but if you spar, spar as you would any other member of your gym. One of two things will probably happen. He will shut his mouth and get serious, or he will quit. If you are true to yourself you are blameless if he quits, and deserve applause if he changes his attitude. It's a tough situation no matter what happens.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast