Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My sad, sad friend.

I have a very good friend who did jujutsu for some time. He is a skinny guy who has asthma and is a chain smoker: he did about one and a half year of jujutsu (a mixed style of judo, BJJ and kyokushin).

The style he did was pretty cool (I did it with him for about six months), and we did spar with varying intensities of contact, although the level of contact was not usually too hard - and no punches to the head were allowed.

My friend also went to some championships, but he never won any.

In short, the guy can kick quite a bit, but overall he is a mediocre fighter at best, specially considering he was out of practice for about a year - and he was never a champion to begin with. The fact that he gets out of breath terribly easily doesnīt help either.

In short, I am pretty much sure I could beat the crap out of him now, considering the progress Iīve been making in MT and the base and techniques I got from WC, not counting my judo background. And I consider myself a pretty pathetic fighter, and I am being honest here.

The guy talks too much. He loves to give advice on everything (not just martial arts), even when he should just STFU and train like everybody else is doing - he went to one lousy WC class with me, and tried to correct my straight punches.

The problem is, he just started MT with me, and he brought his girlfriend along.

The first time he sparred against a pretty good fighter, he did OK - nothing exceptional, but the guy was going easy on him, so he did manage to keep the MT dude at bay with kicks.

But last time he sparred, he just stayed there (maybe because his g/f was watching this time, who knows). He just stayed there and got beaten. His opponent didnīt even have the courage to beat him up seriously since he wasnīt reacting at all. It was the most pathetic excuse for a fight I have ever seen, the most he did was to hold his hands close to his face.

When I asked him what happened there, he just made a bunch of excuses.

So yesterday I got there earlier, and my coach talked to me about him. Apparently the guy has been talking quite a bit of crap - not exactly lies, but exaggerations: accoridng to him we sparred very hard every class when we did jujutsu, the jujutsu guys were all bad ass mofos, he did incredibly well in the championships, etc. The coach confessed me he expected the guy to be excellent from what he said, but, as he put it, all he got was damaged goods.

I told him all I knew about my friendīs training, or lack thereof, and it was obvious to me my buddies big mouth was working again.

I donīt really know why I started this thread, I do not intend to do anything about the situation. The guys at the MT gym are very cool people, and I do like my friend, but I feel like I should tell him to shut up and start training more and talking less - althought I believe he wonīt listen to me. I certainly donīt want to end up in a bad situation as the guy whoīs a friend of the big mouth.

Damn, just wanted to get this off my chest.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 11:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    keep beating him up in front of his gf. and then make passes at her. that shud shut him up.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His g/f knows my g/f, and anyway she is chubby and I am not interested. But the coach did say he will pit me against him next time we spar, to see if he will loosen up a bit (the guy is quite tense when fighting). In that case, I will have to beat the crap out of him, or he will beat the crap out of me - the coach pointed out that he wants no dancing when we spar, he wants the real deal.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ruin his ****, brother.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Ruin his ****, brother.
    I am afraid I will.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:20pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing you can do for him is give him a category 5 Ass-whupping. He needs to know that everybody knows he is bullshitting. Don't kill him, but make it very clear exactly where he is and what he can (and can't) do. It is sad that you have to help him with his low self-esteem by exposing it, but hopefully he will be able to develop some legitimate self-esteem later.

Hopefully he won't hate you for it.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knock him out, nothing is more enlightening than unconciousness.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    The best thing you can do for him is give him a category 5 Ass-whupping. He needs to know that everybody knows he is bullshitting. Don't kill him, but make it very clear exactly where he is and what he can (and can't) do. It is sad that you have to help him with his low self-esteem by exposing it, but hopefully he will be able to develop some legitimate self-esteem later.

Hopefully he won't hate you for it.
    The guy has serious self esteem problems alright, but I donīt think a category 5 ass whupping will do much for him - most likely he will hide his head even deeper in the sand and pretend it didnīt happen. And he is my friend, I donīt want him to hate me for it, and I MOST CERTAINLY do not want her g/f to tell my g/f that I am a major asshole capable of hurting one of my best friends.

I certainly do not want to hurt him, but I am afraid his ego will probably get quite a bit bruised.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:30pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How entrenched in his bullshit is he, really? If you call him on it, will he flip?
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/15/2004 12:32pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you can just keep kicking him in the thigh so he has a temporarily incapacitating injury to keep his ass from getting even more hurt?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast