Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    9/22/2004 9:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NYC Throwdown Oct

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
    ok so got off the phone with fighthouse...

we are confirmed for oct 17th 12noon-3pm (if we are "nice" and there is anyone else there working out, we may be able to stay longer)

possible rates:

$20/head for the whole 3 hrs (this would only make sense if there are only 3 of us)

or

$25/hr for up to 8 people (so $75 divided by the number of people) if more than 8 people come it will be an additional $5/head

this going to be more money than i thought but it still seems worth it to me.

info about the space:

http://www.fighthouse.com

122 w.27th street 2nd floor (between 6th & 7th ave.) 212-807-9202 close to subway (A/C/E/F/N/R/1/9) and close to penn station

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/22/2004 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good job, the old thread was confusing.

really looking forward to this
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 2:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking forward to this too.

Should be fun.

Sounds like we've got a decent number of people showing up.

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 3:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what to bring:

(required)

clothes that you want to spar in (hint, loose clothing can get in the way when grappling, board shorts and basketball shorts work well)
    mouthguard
    cup (for men)
    open mind
    $20 (it may be less if enough of us come, but $20 each should cover us.)

(suggested) depending on what you want to do

gloves (either grappling gloves or boxing gloves or both)
    handwraps
    shinguards
    headgear
    jiu-jitsu/judo gi (a karate/tkd gi would get shredded on the ground)
    mat shoes (martial arts or wrestling shoes, NO street shoes on the mats!)

some people will be bringing extra gear to share, and i think there is a shop there that sells some equipment as well.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 3:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Fighthouse does sell gear (pricey) along with water/sports drinks and energy bars (slightly higher).

They do not have a shower so plan on leaving sweaty and smelly and plan accordingly. (Change of clothes, right guard, etc.)

And if your lurking but planning on attending please post something so a 'headcount' of some kind can be put together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 3:36pm

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far my plans are that I am going. That may change but I doubt that will happen.

I plan on bringing my Karate Gi. It is a heavy weight Pro-Force and has weathered through some rough and tumble practices. I am fairly confident that it will last through the grappling session but I am fully aware that I wear this at my own risk.

Unfortunately I do not own any wrestling shoes. Would bare feet be permitted?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may be down!

who is confirmed to be there? will it be videotaped? Is there an agenda? start and end times?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I reread the initial notice and see its from 12-3 so dont bother pointing that out

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 5:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Raul Perez
    Unfortunately I do not own any wrestling shoes. Would bare feet be permitted?
    of course, and we may even have a standup-only area where we spar on the hard floor with shoes on.

Originally posted by gojuJKDdude
    who is confirmed to be there? will it be videotaped? Is there an agenda? start and end times?
    well so far it looks like jay and i will definitely be there, my teacher is encouraging the seniors at my school to attend, so that will be 1-5 others. anyone else who confirms on here as well.

i will bring a video camera and still camera and tripod, i suggest someone else do so as well. it will be taped and it will be posted to bullshido (or at least the sparring and any interesting demos.)

the agenda is a loose one: meet and greet, a little talk, some sparring, more talk and lots more sparring. maybe we'll all go grab a meal after.

EDIT: to fix quote

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 8:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bare feet or wrestling shoes on the mats only.

There's going to be some Gi choke instruction/demo by 5 Fingaz, a BJJ Blue Belt.

I've mentioned the Throwndown to people I train with. No commitments yet but I'll know closer to the date of the event. Sounded like a couple of peeps were interested.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast