Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2004 3:38pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't some good MMA fighter just split the money with someone who owns a school in that area?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2004 5:26pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish someone would take on one of those such challenges and beat the people.

As for instruction, your education and how well you teach martial arts are too different things. My former instructors were only high-school grads, and they were some of the best I've ever seen in terms of no-nonsense martial arts. Yet, their instructor was a Phd guy, and he too was very very good.

I'd keep away from a school that talks about "humility" and all that yet then makes such a challenge, yet then also knocks on other owners of other schools. You should see the bullshit the "Shaolin Kung Fu Wu Su Academy" at my college here says on their website: "Kung-Fu is a martial art based on speed and agility that does not require physical strength." Uuuuh, HELLO< no animal or professional athlete out there can have speed or agility without physical strength!! A tiger, wolf, professional sprinter, basketball player, acrobat, fighter, whatever,...anything requiring speed and agility requires physical strength.

And then they have the damn nerve to say in regards to their sashes or belts or whatever it is they use, "It takes 4 years to achive black belt in our system. This is much longer then in karate and other systems that only require 2-3 years to obtain blackbelt." !!!?!?!?!?!?!? My former karate school took up to 6 years to obtain blackbelt on average, and most of the other karate schools around here take about 5 years to obtain blackbelt, or at the least, 4 years.

So I don't know what this school's owners are smoking.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/17/2004 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    And as for them having not lost a challenge, does it really matter if they're undefeated or if no one has had the balls to take it?

I can't imagine that no one has taken the challenge. I just can't even imagine it.
    I'd be beating down the door right now if I had the chance to collect.

BTW, I think that they're snobby assholes for suggesting that if you go to another MA school you'll be taught by a high school dropout. That's really something that reflects badly on the person who says it about himself and I'm sure that a lot of people find it offensive.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    10/17/2004 7:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    And as for them having not lost a challenge, does it really matter if they're undefeated or if no one has had the balls to take it?
    Reading again they actually say "no one has collected". That could me that they have lost, but never bothered to pay.

But seriously, if people had tried the challenge, why wouldn't they add that information too?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Os, where are the rules for the fight?

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 9:25am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you defending these guys so much Os? And I would walk through the door and ask about the challenge, if I felt like walking about 900 miles to do it. If the challenge was so legit wouldn't they at least have answered a polite inquiry about it?
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

game dog

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > They're defending their business and legitimacy on a
    > martial arts level as opposed to just talking ****. Why this
    > is catching them flak on bullshido, I don't know.
    Because it's not clear they're doing anything BUT talking ****, maybe?
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it taking flak? Because I'd say the rest of us don't see it as "defending their legitimacy" at all. I see it as a challenge that is nearly impossible for someone to take them up on, that they deliberately made that way so they wouldn't have to back it up. I see them not posting the nature of the challenge (what kind of fight, what kind of rules, etc.) as being part of overall bullshido of the challenge. I see them not posting anything about who has taken the challenge and what the results were as being evasive.

The fact that you are defending them when all of this seems to obvious to the rest of us is puzzling. You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I'm just expalining why you seem to be on the wrong side of this.

game dog

Posted On:
    10/18/2004 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > Whats unclear?
    For example, under what circumstances it is indeed a $100,000 challenge, as they claim in bold letters on their front page. In the details, it's "$10,000/ up to $100,000" - what the hell does that mean?

The rules of the challenge are not clear, as has been pointed out before. "Defeat" in what? A point-sparring match? Hell, even Ashida was more explicit in his challenge.

> Whether they honor this or not, can't be determined just by sending an email and looking at their website.
    True. But until they honor it, it doesn't signify much other than that they have a big mouth.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 10:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF Taekwondo & Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, I was a student at TTJC from 1986-1990 (before the introduction of the term Chunjido). Back then it was Taekwondo (which was WTF, Taegeuk forms, etc, but wasn't very tournament focused), Judo, Hapkido, and Kendo. You could take just one, or all of those styles. I haven't stepped foot in a TTJC in the past 16 years so I couldn't tell you what they're like now, so all the information I have is 16 years old.

The Grandmaster: P.K. Eun- He IS a very humble man, regardless of how that ad makes him appear, and he is a very accomplished martial artist and instructor. He was the Korean national champion in Judo at one time (his main bag really), and graduated from Young-In University with studies in martial arts. Oh yeah, he is bad-ass.

The stuff he was teaching back then was hard core old school judo, and the Taekwondo was not kickie-fu tournament crap. I was limited in my hapkido and kendo, but they seemed legit too.

There was a challenge once at my brown belt test. I don't know exactly how it happened because the young students were asked to step outside, but some guys in came in all cocky and argued with Master Eun for a few minutes and they started issuing challenges. Master Eun tried to talk them into sitting down like civilized humans and setting up a proper meeting, but they just kept talking trash. Finally one of those guys just flat started talking $h!7 and came at the judges table, and regardless of what he was going to do, it looked like he was jumping Master Eun. Mr. Fielden, one of the instructors came from behind the table, blocked a punch, threw the guy and choked him out. End of match, the guys left, no money collected on either side.

That's the only challenge I ever knew of, and I'm guessing no money exchanged hands because it was some a-holes being dickheads at a totally inappropriate time.

I can say this: back THEN it was a very good program with well trained instructors who cared about their students. The challenge thing always made my skin crawl because it really didn't seem humble to me, but I really believe AT THE TIME they could back those claims up. Like I said before, it's been 16 years, so I don't know what they're like now.

Bullshido? No, I don't think so. If you want to challenge them, play by their rules, get the challenge set up, and beat them. Don't email them, call them on the phone at least, or better yet, go in person. Go in respectfully, not like some ass-jockey roid-rage butthole and have a mature conversation to set up the challenge. You can imagine how many jokers email them about his who aren't serious. Trust me, if you go in there like an adult and calmly set up a challenge in person, they'll do it.

If they don't, THEN call it Bullshido. I really believe they're just trying to prove their stuff works. I would think a board like Bullshido would appreciate the fact that a school is willing to back their stuff up with action. But don't expect TTJC to respond to emails.

As far as the name goes, back then it was called "Tennessee Taekwondo Judo CENTER" and I think the name change occurred because someone else in Tennesee had copywritten that name and threatened a lawsuit, so Msr. Eun changed the last word from CENTER to COLLEGE to avoid litigation.

My very limited understanding of Chunjido is that it is that '70's-'80's style Taekwondo striking mixed with the grappling, throws, and chokes of Judo, mixed with the pressure points and joint manipulations of Hapkido. But I really don't know because it didn't exist when I was there. I think he's basically just put a name to what he was teaching us in class, which was a mixture of those 3 arts.

I'm not a TTJC supporter, in fact, I visited the Greeneville, TN school a couple of years ago, and I was very dissapointed in what I saw, and given the choice in the Knoxville area, I would go somewhere else. However, I don't think they are Bullshido as a whole, and I don't think their challenge is Bullshido, but hey, I could be wrong. I'm definately no expert martial artist, and I definately don't think I could win many challenges at all. I'm not in martial arts to be bad-ass, but rather to improve myself mentally and physically, plus as a physical artistic expression to compliment my profession as a musician.
    Last edited by NastyHaggis; 7/31/2006 10:39am at .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast