Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 9:24am

Style: BAGUA - HSINGI - BOXING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sad clips. sweeps only worked cuz the other guy sucked too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 11:02am

Style: MT, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the double leg takedown(scissor take down?) was kinda neat. it was like the takedown someone showed at the boston mcthrowdown...to bad he didn't lockup the guys heel like at the throwdown though.

i love the video feeds on this forum! the more i learn, the more these "demo" clips (which used to impress me) make me see how outright lame some MA are.

quick question...why exactly, in training, do most TMAs assume the fight is over after a takedown? seriously...is it because TMA were meant for self-defense more and you were meant to run away after your opponent fell? now it just boggles my mind that the training stops there. just wondering.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, pretty crap but I've seen worse (live, sorry no clips).
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Goku
    the double leg takedown(scissor take down?) was kinda neat. it was like the takedown someone showed at the boston mcthrowdown...to bad he didn't lockup the guys heel like at the throwdown though.
    Wasn't that J-Lau's legendary flying heelhook submission at the Boston throwdown? I want to learn that one.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 12:32pm

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

quick question...why exactly, in training, do most TMAs assume the fight is over after a takedown? seriously...is it because TMA were meant for self-defense more and you were meant to run away after your opponent fell? now it just boggles my mind that the training stops there. just wondering.
    That's a very interesting question. If you didn't care about beating a guy up, just about ending a fight, then why not run away?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 4:20pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In addition to what grond wrote, once they're on the ground you can draw a weapon. When lot of the TMAs were created it was more common for people to have some kind of weapon on them. Also, submissions aren't a great idea when there are multiple opponents to deal with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 4:56pm

Style: MT, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would agree that you should leave if you can(who cares if you give the guy a black eye anyways), but what if you're taken down? i guess my real question is why don't TMAs train groundwork? was it more an "honour" thing back-in-the-day? the "don't kick 'em while they're down?"

it just seems groundwork would be an obvious thing to train yet TMAs don't...that i know of.

zing-didn't see that post before posting. the weapon makes sense though.
    Last edited by Goku; 10/11/2004 6:25pm at .

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 6:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    once they go to the ground they get trampled by horses

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/11/2004 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it just seems groundwork would be an obvious thing to train yet TMAs don't...that i know of.
    most TMAs in the last 50 years have not had much emphasis on groundwork, but in japanese TMA, judo and JJJ all have a lot of ground work (although as of late people have been spending less time training them.)

in chinese TMA many of the styles incorperated "dog boxing" which includes a good deal of ground work.

thanks to the MMA revolution, many people are re-examining the existing ground work in their styles and (hopefully) going and sparring BJJ people to test their techniques.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12