Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn it Boris, you are making me sad about my time at WC...but as I said, I went to another school, and they do the same thing there. And the videos we see here show similar training methods and fighting stances, presumptions, etc. So it seems we have to ask ourselves that old and stupid "who´s got the real wing chun" question again.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 2:34pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
    1) Yes, but that is what is taught. For long, long years, in at least two WC schools I know. So I think it is WC. And it is wrong, SPECIALLY if you must later invest time and effort to unlearn that stupid step in order to use advanced WC techniques. And in order to spar.
    well i have to agree if this is the way it is then the system is shite.. i was never taught that way and that was 18yrs ago. if this is the new reality then I didn't do WC! or you and everyone else is being ripped off!

2) Point is, we can turn both siu nin tao and biu jee inside out and find as many techniques as we want hidden there, but again, I spent two years doing WC and I was formally (and roughly) introduced to the hook only during my first MT class.
    thats wrong.. the reality of its exsistence should have been taught even if it wasn't a proscribed technique. a common problem with any fighting system being taught by people who haven't fought

WC people simply do not practice any punches other than the straight punch. This is stupid, but AFAIK it is a fact:
    I am sure this is probably true

even if the techniques are somewhere in the repertoire, the system presumes that they are not useful, that the straight punch is all you need. This is wrong.
    hmmm well i have never thrown a hook in a fight
    and i had a mean one... is that true? (...memory lane) yes i think it is but i could be wrong.. be careful about generalised statements about what you must have in your bag of tools there are loads of people here who fight exceedingly well with next to no special talents or skills in striking

i think your negative experience of wc is TOTALY justified as i have not seen anything remotley servicable or functional for a long time as far as WC is concerned..

is WC as it is now Bullshido?

Boris
    London
    Last edited by mididoctors; 10/08/2004 3:33pm at .

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "
    1) hmmm well i have never thrown a hook in a fight and i had a mean one... is that true? (...memory lane) yes i think it is but i could be wrong..

2) be careful about generalised statements about what you must have in your bag of tools there are loads of people here who fight exceedingly well with next to no special talents or skills in striking"

1) I use hooks whenever I spar, and I have a decent one. I haven´t actually fought someone since I was 11, though.

2) Grapplers have my utmost respect - hell, I did judo for 10 years. But WC is a system which is supposed to teach you how to strike. If it doesn´t, there is a problem.

"sigh" Back to the who has it point, I guess.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 2:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn it Boris, you are making me sad about my time at WC...but as I said, I went to another school, and they do the same thing there. And the videos we see here show similar training methods and fighting stances, presumptions, etc. So it seems we have to ask ourselves that old and stupid "who´s got the real wing chun" question again.
    i don't know... i don't consider myself good enough to teach but i be fucked if i am impressed by anything i have seen either

i am no master of kung fu but i have fought and I have seen the real thing..

it is sad

Boris
    London

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "

"sigh" Back to the who has it point, I guess.
    indeed..

ahhh that felt like a venting of the spleen with out the flame war..

excellent...

enjoyed that chat WCL

have fun with your MT

Boris
    London

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 3:26pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WCL wrote:
    ===========
    One thing that always pissed me off about WC was the way the development stages of the system interferred with footwork. I heard that WC footwork is supposed to be agile, not shuffling your feet: but if you take two years to finish the siu nin tao, and all the footwork you do during that time is shuffling footwork, you will indeed move that way.

The stages of development of WC always seemed a pain in the ass. I want to know how that thing is supposed to work NOW, I don´t want to be spoon fed like a baby.
    ================================

Me wrote:
    The SLT I learned has no footwork. There's some limited shuffling footwork in WT ChumKiu, and much more footwork in WC ChumKiu.
    But I agree with you. The structure sucks. Never in my WT/WC career have I seen ANYBODY move in ANY different way. And I went to Leung Ting seminars and whatnot, I've seen high level people.

The spoonfeeding had/has one big reason: marketing.

I hear there are some unorthodocs WC people in GB. That's good.

But I still think the classical WC/WT as thought by YipMan and his sons, Leung Ting, William Cheung etc has a lousy footwork.

And yes I am willing to fight anyone of the above, especially the dead ones:)))))

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123