Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 6:52am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hmmm.... there may be hope for my WC class yet

After my last grading in April, I pretty much lost faith in my WC class (Damn you bullshido, for removing the scales from my eyes! ;) ). The grading was a joke. Everyone passed, no matter how badly they performed, it was just a case of 'you pay your money, you get your belt (er... sash)'. After that, I couldn't face going back to the class, and I decided to switch something a bit more alive. Being a lazy sod, I never actually got around to finding a new class, and so for the last six months I've done nothing MA related at all.

My mum works in the leisure centre where one of our classes is held, and the sifu who takes the class got her to ask me if I'd come back. Apparently it was 'better' now. I decided to go see.

Last night, after changing my mind half-a-dozen times, I went down to the class. I got there early to have a chance to catch up on the latest NIWCKFA political developments (who had split from the association, who was planning a grab at the leadership, etc etc. :rolleyes: ) Sifu Danny arrived carrying a big duffle bag. When someone asked if he was leaving home, he said no, he'd brought some gear so that we could do some full contact fighting. Yeah right, full contact WC, I'll believe it when I see it.

We did a short warm with a run through the sui lim tau, and some arm conditioning. Then Danny tipped out his bag of goodies and asked who was up for some full contact sparring. Even to my untrained eye, the sparring equipment looked shitty, but I was mad keen to have a go anyway. It was some crappy dipped foam gloves that left part of the fingers free for grapping, and padded headgear with a plastic grill over the face. There were only six students at the class, and apart from a woman who had recently joined, everyone was happy to give it a go (they all had at least 2 years WC experience).

The brothers Darren and Ken suited up first, for two, one minute rounds. There wasn't much recognisable WC in their bout (it looked more like milling than anything else), but they seemed to enjoy themselves, merrily punching each other's heads off. The came back panting like dogs, with big stupid grins on their faces.

Next up, was me against Shaun. Shaun is a big bloke (about 6'3", 260 lbs. I'm 5'11", 225 lbs)) with a good few years WC experience. Things seemed to get off to a good start for me, when I caught him in the face with a sweet elbow strike. The headgear saved him from any real damage, but the sharp plastic grill (who the **** designed this ****?) gouged a big chunk out of my elbow. Shaun then switched from WC to boxing (he was originally a boxer) and basically punched the **** outta me for the rest of the round.

Round 2 wasn't much better, with him continuing to land bombs on my head and face. I did manage to land one nice punch with my signature move. Fake a punch to the nuts with my right, he brings both hands down to block it, and sticks out his butt to get away. This brings his unprotected head forwards and downwards, and onto a straight blast from my left. He quickly recovered and hit me with a really sweet right hook to the head, which made my ears ring and turned my legs to rubber, and finished with a right hook to my floating ribs which nearly put me down. We were both splattered with blood (from my cut elbow), and totally winded (I am so unfit :o ), but grinning like idiots.

I missed the next bout while I was getting cleaned up, but came back in time to see Danny fight Shaun. Danny is a farmer, strong, and heavyset, but only about 5'4" (think Gimli). Unlike the rest of us, he managed to stick to his WC form, and had the advantage over the much larger Shaun. It's nice to see that someone can make WC work properly.

After that, I was up against Kenny (6'1" 180 lbs). This was closer than my first bout, with both of us landing some good hits, but I still came off second best.

After that we did a bit of chi sau, which I really sucked at (my six month break did me no favours here), and called it a night.

All in all, it was the most enjoyable WC class I've ever had, and I'm glad that I decided to go back. I feel totally wrecked today. My elbow and fingers are cut from hitting the stupid mask, and my nose and face is all cut from being hit by it. I've got a nice bump on my eyebrow and my neck and back is aching. I can't wait to do it again. I'm not wearing the cheesegrater headgear again though, I'll go down to the local MA shop this weekend and get some decent gear for my head and hands.

BTW, boxers punch really fecking hard.

Jonny

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 6:57am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hard to remember your training after-slash-during the time the guy is beating you ugly, keep up the good work, cheesegrater!

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 7:52am

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, reflect on the sessions, and think of what you've learned thus far that could be applied next time.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 8:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey that's great. And not to sound negative, but, you know... If that's what you like, why not just do boxing or kickboxing? Why do something that you aren't sure about, don't seem to like very much and that only does the kind of stuff you do like every once and a while (and even then, doesn't do it well)? Before you make a decision about whether to sign up again or not, why don't you head on down to the boxing gym and give it a go there first?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 8:37am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who's saying he didn't like it? He obviously disliked the fact that it was not being trained with aliveness (which makes you question the rest of the system), something which clearly is no longer the case.
    Besides which, if he tries to use his WC training during sparring, nobody is going to tell him to stop that ****, something which might and probably would happen in a Thai or boxing gym.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a fair point Matt W. The thing is though that I did enjoy WC, I just thought that we needed to train in a more alive fashion. I didn't like the way that some of the sifus maintained that WC was TEH D3ADLY!!11!, without ever putting it to the test. Watching Danny sparring with Shaun, showed me that WC can be effective... if done properly. As for last night's class, for most of us it was the first time we'd experienced full contact sparring. I think that with more practice we'll be able to use WC more effectively when sparring. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to my previous level fairly quickly, I certainly can't get any worse, I truly sucked (though my face to fist strikes were spot on).

Fortunately there is no contract or anything with our WC association, you just pay for any class that you attend (well there is an annual insurance premium, but that covers you for any MA activity). If it turns out I'm wrong about WC being 'viable', I can just switch to kickboxing or something instead.

Jonny

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who's saying he didn't like it?
    I got that impression from, you know, HIM QUITTING.

something which clearly is no longer the case.
    Because they sparred ONCE, that is "clearly no longer the case"?

Besides which, if he tries to use his WC training during sparring, nobody is going to tell him to stop that ****, something which might and probably would happen in a Thai or boxing gym.
    I don't think they'd need to. He'd probably give it up after he got hit enough! ;)

And Jonny, no problem, man. Do what you like. That was just my quick read off your one post. Though I'd still advocate giving boxing a try. Good luck, at any rate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 9:41am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Matt W.
    I got that impression from, you know, HIM QUITTING.
    I guess I focused more on the "decided to switch to something more alive" bit in the reason for quitting.

Because they sparred ONCE, that is "clearly no longer the case"?
    I admit I did a fair bit of assuming there...sounds like the sparring equipment (even though shitty) is club-owned , as opposed to all owned by the members, something which makes me think "they'll want to do this more often, if only because they don't want the money spent on (shitty) equipment to go to waste. :D

I don't think they'd need to. He'd probably give it up after he got hit enough! ;)
    Well, as they have a boxer in their club, that'll happen anyway. ;-)

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 9:56am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quote:
    "Shaun then switched from WC to boxing (he was originally a boxer) and basically punched the **** outta me for the rest of the round."

You just bong-saoed the nail on the head.
    You take WC, cut the bull and end up doing shitty kickboxing. Exactly my experience.

I used to be a WC/WT guy. Something like 5 years on and off.
    I was out-boxed by a boxer.
    I started training with him.
    Now I out-box all my WC buddies.
    Not even mentioning clinch & grapple.
    There's a value in WC, but you got to work to find it under all the bull.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 10:17am

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by drummerboy
    quote:
    "Shaun then switched from WC to boxing (he was originally a boxer) and basically punched the **** outta me for the rest of the round."

You just bong-saoed the nail on the head.
    You take WC, cut the bull and end up doing shitty kickboxing. Exactly my experience.

I used to be a WC/WT guy. Something like 5 years on and off.
    I was out-boxed by a boxer.
    I started training with him.
    Now I out-box all my WC buddies.
    Not even mentioning clinch & grapple.
    There's a value in WC, but you got to work to find it under all the bull.

Tomas
    this is SO true...

WC is NOT alternative boxing.. you will not outbox a boxer with WC punches standing toe to toe and trading blows

if the guy is kick boxing then undermine that premise.. you need to move away from the cross..

changing relative body position with trapping NOT trying to enter with a trap to outbox the guy..

pressurise him... not react to jabs which are difficult to trap (pak sao or not)..

Boris
    London
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast