Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 3:27pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an odd story. I was on vacation in Florida once, a couple of my buddies from Colorado talked me into going. So I got up and decided to explore a little bit on my own. I was going to gradually head for the beach, so I had just grabbed my gym bag, which also contained a pair of wrestling shoes and headgear (as it still does to this day). Well as I'm walking around, I happened upon a place that advertised on the window that they taught grappling. In giant letters. Ray Charles could have seen it. I'm thinking "This is great! I can get a tough workout in while I'm here!" So I go in, and ask if I can join in for a workout.

The head instructor comes out and begins walking me around telling me about his school. The buzzwords come out about how tough it is. Truly tough martial arts schools don't brag about how tough they are. They let you find out for yourself. So I told him I was'd like to just get some work in. He agrees and says they train with the gi top only since it's "more realistic". He loans me a gi top and says we're going to begin in about 10 minutes. So I quickly change, and come out and start to stretch out. I find maybe a half dozen other guys, none of them doing any stretching, most look kind of soft (although I probably did/do too haha). So we start the warmup and it was about as challenging as walking around the block.

So after a few basic holds and drilling we get to go live. The instruction wasn't anything you'd find out of place in a typical judo class. The live rolling was awful. These guys knew nothing and the only thing they'd try was a half assed kimura once in a while. Meanwhile I'm happily plugging away using some leg turks, stuff like that. They're freely giving their back, so I made them pay for it. It was a one sided beatdown basically everytime.

The instructor sees this and figures I'm tired from thumping on his guys. Wrong. I made him look quite foolish in front of his students. It seems as if these guys were not well versed in anything that had to do with wrestling. I really didn't need to know much else, since most of the techniques I used were straight from any collegiate or high school wrestling syllabus. After this was over, the instructor was upset and tried to challenge me to a no rules fight. I told him no thanks and left. I would have probably hurt him worse had it been NHB and I was actually allowed to hit him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 12:30am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was training a week ago with a new guy at my bjj academy. we were just fucking around drilling to get gi grips, but when it was my turn to defend he'd start karate punching me. it was seriously funny but i didn't know how to politely tell him he was retarded so i just went with it. he's actually a nice guy and signed up for classes, so there's definitely hope for him. he also has a black and white checkered gi, i think he told me he did hapkido or kenpo or something like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 10:34am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were entertaining experiences in 2004.

There were entertaining experiences in 2005.

Sadly, there were none in 2006. :(

But now, in 2007, there are entertaining experiences again!

I'm happy!

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 12:02pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan6
    I was sparring a BJJ/JJ guy who thought that grappling was the be all end all.

He came in to take me down and i 'almost' broke his fingers ( i didn't want to go all the way and ruin his MA career). Needless to say he wasn't interested in sparring with me anymore.

Then i explained to him the difference between sport and real fighting and that the things you see in Boxing Rings/ Octagons are just entertainment.
    i call bullshit. how the **** did you almost break his fingers from a fucking shot jackass?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 12:13pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on. It IS Jankenjutsu.

Done right, no can defend. Right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 1:02pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was around 14-15 there was this one guy that that two of my friends used to hang out with from time to time. A BB in either Karate or TKD with a **** load of trophies and plaques on a wall in his room with a pair of crossed sai and a $50 flea market katana hung up for good measure. He agreed to spar with them after they bugged the **** out of him, giving the "but I must warn you" esque speech before hand.
    Watching two guys that had absolutly no training what so ever take turns use head locks, chicken wings, half ass slams, and just generally rape a black belt with little to no effort was one of the first things to put things into perspective for me. And I'm still good friends with one of those guys to this day. We still laugh about it from time to time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had a guy who joined the club a few years back. Scrappy little fella ,,anyways he didn't quite realize that , generally speaking, experienced members had been going pretty easy on him in sparring and started to get a bit high on himself.
    So, my own two -year grading comes around ( the first and last grading we have until you are ready for a black sash grading) and this guy pops me one in the mouth and it ticks me off (Not so much for hitting me but just because his attitude is a bit cocky). So I decided to school him a bit and show him how much he needed to learn..
    Sometimes you have to put the noobs in their place. Anyhow, he was always really respectful towards me after that. I didn't hurt him , just embarrassed him a little and worked his body enough that he would feel it the next day.
    He ended up quitting about a year later anyways...
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 8:31pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan6
    Jankenjutsu = fast hands, faster then a striking cobra
    Jankenjutsu = load of bullshit.

Post a video or some proof and then we'll take you seriously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 8:38pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 11:28pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha.