Chemist

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Adriano Lucio (BJJ)

Next week I'll be meeting and training under Adriano Lucio, Brazilian Top Team. He is the instructor of ur BJJ Blue belt that comes to our class on Wednesdays for ne waza class. Has anybody heard of him or trained with him? I'm just wondering since I don't know that much about the BJJ hierarchy. BTW I think I'm gradually getting better at ne waza. I've tapped all but two guys in my class (BJJ blue belt and another guy that trained BJJ in Hawaii). At least with the other two that usually ruin my ****, I can last longer and understand what's happening before it happens. I'm pretty excited to train with a Brazilian Top Team black belt, I really don't know what to expect.

In other news, Dave (our BJJ blue belt instructor) went to Atlanta a few weeks ago and got to train under Helio Gracie and said it was awesome. He said that Helio was actually getting on the ground and having guys try to the moves on him, and I know the guy's got to be in his 90's. He also said that two of his grandsons were there (don't remember their names), but apparently they're getting ready to fight Pride/UFC and should be watching out for them because he says they're awesome.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forget BJJ. Take ninjitsu instead.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Chemist

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 10:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, it's a Judo Club
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 12:52pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of him before, but Adriano Lucio is listed as a purple belt on BJJ.org on this page:

http://bjj.org/a/ranks.html

Reading through his site, I've figured out a few things:

BJJ.org is often out of date though, which might be the case here, since he says he's gotten his black belt already. From his About Me page:
    Two years and ten months after I started I got my purple belt. I was training twice a day and I became even more serious. Ten months after my purple belt I got my brown belt, and I was really happy with my accomplishments. Three more years after that I got my black belt .
    I've gathered that his instructors were José "Zé" Marcello and Murilo Rupp, who are both listed as black belts under Sergio de "Bolăo" Souza, who is a black belt under Carlson Gracie Sr.

I don't know what all this lineage and such means, but he can be traces back to some famous fellows, for what it's worth.

There is a purple belt at my school I met once when he visited. He now trains at a Carlson Gracie school in Chicago, and says they are very good, but the instruction and training was too "rough" for his liking, compared to the detail-oriented training he got at Gracie Barra. Carlson has a history of being a vale tudo fighter, and stressing lots of tough sparring. That's what the purple belt said about his new school at least. Obviously, I don't know if this applies to everyone on Carlson's line, but whudeva...
    Last edited by Aesopian; 10/07/2004 12:57pm at .

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chemist

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 1:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks, I checked out the website, but I just wandered if anybody had any personal experiences or had heard anything about him

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 10:13pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have actually had the pleasure of training with Adriano and have received my blue belt from him. I find him to be a very personable instructor as well as skilled with a little bit of humor thrown in behind his brazilian accent. I can assure you that he is definitely a black belt as I have seen him tap purples (my trainers) at will, two of which are highly competitive and well known in the south for their accomplishments in competitions.

While you will get a good workout training with him, he doesn't focus on fitness only; he is a very technique driver instructor with a watchful eye while he teaches so don't be too concerned with rough sparring or anything like that. Just be prepared to do a ton of techniques, drills, and a good amount of rolling with certain objectives.

Chemist

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 5:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool, thanks, I am really looking forward to it. Where do you train?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 5:47pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Memphis BJJ under David Ferguson and Joel Gingery. Muay Thai at the same facility with Will Whitlow.