Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 1:53am

Style: Living Dummy Technique

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self-Taught Styles: Bullshido?

Before you all flame me into oblivion, I'm not claiming to have created anything from scratch.

I firmly believe there is nothing new under the sun, just a diffrent way of doing it.

However, I would like to know how you peeps feel about Self-Taught/Created styles.

From what I'm told, JKD is about the person, not any one particular style, so that's probably what I should be following...but....

just answer the fuggin question... :mad: :cool: :)

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 1:56am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A punch is a punch. I think it's been accepted now that certain principles are inherent to all martial arts. Modern science has quantified these principles with kinesiology, physics, etc. Unless there exists an unquantifiable force (ki, aura, etc) that has martial applications, every art will correspond with these ideas.

Fancy a milkshake?

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 1:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you claiming or really getting at?
    "Pussyhole"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 2:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now there's another question for another board:

Ki: Bullshido or Real Deal Energy?

I believe in Ki, but not like in DBZ (Die Funimation) or whatever...Its just your natural energy. Don't know if they can prove/unprove that.

I agree with you though. A punch is a punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 2:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Darting Fingers
    What are you claiming or really getting at?

.....sigh...

I'm not claiming anything. I'm asking a fucking question.

Did you not read the first post?

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you design your own car from books without any training or experience with a company that actually makes cars successfully? yes, is your car going to be a heap of ****? yes.
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 2:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright then, what is the best way to learn how to fight then? Certainly not from a book. You can gain a technique from a book, but the fighting itself is what gives you skill. Didn't they write/draw their techniques in the "olden" days?

I know they at least wrote down their thesis...(Miyamoto Musashi: The Book of Five Rings)

How do you know for sure something that somebody else put together works for you?

Again, I'm not claiming anything, nor am I putting anyone down.

Fancy a milkshake?

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 2:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't fucken sigh you cock monkey, you're just not that articulate are you....

According to your profile your style is various, self taught. What are these various and how have you gone about self teaching yourself?

Application is the important part, practice, fully resisting opposition, etc.

Are you teaching yourself or are you getting your info from a book teacher and practicing applying it yourself without instruction?

Often someone looking in also see's things you can't, thats why professionals have coaches along for numerous other reasons.

In future try and specify things a bit more or you may just get rounded off answers that don't get you very far.
    "Pussyhole"

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 2:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You learn to fight by fighting, you fight in the safety of a dojo or gym, this will allow you to develope techniques that work efficiently.

How do you know for sure something that somebody else put together works for you
    I have seen a bit of wing chun, I have never seen two practitioners do it exactly the same way, a style changes to fit you, its a very natural progression, just choose an art that you like the general idea of, and that trains right, and work from there.
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 2:14am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arts can be encapsulated into their constituent parts. One distinguising feature between CMAs is Northern vs. Southern styles, since they have differences in technique and stances. With Musashi's technique, someone who lacks appropriate ambidextrous qualities will not do well.

Techniques and methodologies evolve over time (or rather, they should). How golfers swing a club and how tennis players swing a racket have radically changed from the 20th to the 21st century in a combination of new materials and new understandings of the sport. A martial art which deals exclusively with sword-fighting is socially out of place with modern society from a view on "what threats can I expect and counter?"

As with many things in life, you determine the value and validity of something through a number of ways. You research it, you solicit the opinion of people who you trust, you consult those who you consider "experts", you try it out for yourself, etc. There's no "one way."
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast