Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:57am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

rant about perceived skill and subsequent pwnage

Ok, guys, no insult to anybody, but this is my observation:

Reading through Hedge's and other's posts, Antagony's website, etc, I would assume that you guys have MUCH more experience that you actually have. Some of my perception may be just cultural, Americans tend to be more vocal than Slavs.

Anyway

I've been reading Hedge's posts and advice (good advice) for about a year here and on RMA. Turns out he has 1 year of BJJ as of his Shaolin-do visit.
    Hedge, you must have started giving advice about BJJ to people at about the same time you started training.

I read Antagony's website: "my game here, my game there, I need to improve my game, my game is relaxed". Turns out he has 3 months of BJJ.
    Again, I like you guys, no grudge, I'm just ranting. Antagony, unless you are a freak, you don't have ANY game after 3 months of BJJ.

I started Judo in 1998 and BJJ in 1999. I don't have a BJJ rank, and I roll at low-mid blue level. I went to train at Matt Serra's place this summer. So I walk in, change into my gi and put my whitebelt on. A dude walks around in a rashguard, we stretch, talk about techniques, hes like: take it easy at the beginning, tap early, it's all about position etcetc. So I'm like: good, I'm gonna learn something. Then we do guard passes and he crawls into my triangle like 15 times in a row. Turns out he's been with the club for 3 months.
    Another day, a dude walks around the mat in a gi, patched head to toe, with a whitebelt. We are warming up, he rants about gis, atama is good, mizuno Ichiban sucks, this and that, he says he likes gi game better etc. I experienced some kickass whitebelts so I'm getting ready to be on the receiving end of some major ownage. We start rolling. It turns out it's his FIRST class.
    I mean first class I shut up and just look around in fear, don't I...!

So anyway: it is better to tone it down, especially if you plan on being owned.
    rant off...

Tomas
    :p

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: rant about perceived skill and subsequent pwnage

Originally posted by drummerboy
    Ok, guys, no insult to anybody, but this is my observation:

Reading through Hedge's and other's posts, Antagony's website, etc, I would assume that you guys have MUCH more experience that you actually have. Some of my perception may be just cultural, Americans tend to be more vocal than Slavs.

Anyway

I've been reading Hedge's posts and advice (good advice) for about a year here and on RMA. Turns out he has 1 year of BJJ as of his Shaolin-do visit.
    Hedge, you must have started giving advice about BJJ to people at about the same time you started training.

I read Antagony's website: "my game here, my game there, I need to improve my game, my game is relaxed". Turns out he has 3 months of BJJ.
    Again, I like you guys, no grudge, I'm just ranting. Antagony, unless you are a freak, you don't have ANY game after 3 months of BJJ.

I started Judo in 1998 and BJJ in 1999. I don't have a BJJ rank, and I roll at low-mid blue level. I went to train at Matt Serra's place this summer. So I walk in, change into my gi and put my whitebelt on. A dude walks around in a rashguard, we stretch, talk about techniques, hes like: take it easy at the beginning, tap early, it's all about position etcetc. So I'm like: good, I'm gonna learn something. Then we do guard passes and he crawls into my triangle like 15 times in a row. Turns out he's been with the club for 3 months.
    Another day, a dude walks around the mat in a gi, patched head to toe, with a whitebelt. We are warming up, he rants about gis, atama is good, mizuno Ichiban sucks, this and that, he says he likes gi game better etc. I experienced some kickass whitebelts so I'm getting ready to be on the receiving end of some major ownage. We start rolling. It turns out it's his FIRST class.
    I mean first class I shut up and just look around in fear, don't I...!

So anyway: it is better to tone it down, especially if you plan on being owned.
    rant off...

Tomas
    :p

So if I have 2 1/2 years of recent MA experience (I took 3 years of TKD when I was younger)...should I give out advice? Because for the most part I hate giving out advice when a million other people all ready have said the same thing.

Some advice is pretty obvious bro, you don't have to be an expert.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong on giving out common sense advise.
    Sure some people come off as being more expereinced than they are, sometimes from passing on advise they have heard, but of the advice is correct AND you didn't know about it and it taught you something, nothing wrong with that.

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:10pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ronin69:
    No problem, I agree. But it does not look good if you subsequently get heavily owned....that's all I'm saying...
    It's a face saving thing :)

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, physical skill and knowledge don't always go hand-in-hand.
    Heck, I can beat the crap out of my boxing coach and I still listen to the man.
    I now a few guys that can "out grapple" me, but I can still beat, and I listen to what they have to say about grappling.
    Everyone gets owned, doesn't change the truth in what they say ( if what this say is truth).

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to be pretty analytical and I help teach and have taught classes before. I am good enough to know what I know and what I don't know.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you know that you know?

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I believe the question should be 'How do you know what you don't know?'

And I would agree with Tomas more than Ronin. If you're just parrotting the advice of someone else without any real knowledge, you should say so. If you're passing it off like you do it all the time, and know what you're talking about, that's the beginning of bullshido. Even if it ends up being good advice.

I haven't been here long enough to have opinions on the people he mentioned, so I hope they don't feel it's an attack on them, because it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my book if your own instructor hasn't let you teach class or at least part of class you need to STFU.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    In my book if your own instructor hasn't let you teach class or at least part of class you need to STFU.
    I agree, but you realise that, if that was the case, there would be only half a dozen guys psting on this forum, if that.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast