Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:18am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by PizDoff
    Cool, for future reference, there already are threads about endurance and relaxing while doing groundwork on this forum.
    Just drop that pointy elbow on their face. :)
    Thanks for the advice. Although, I don't plan on getting rough yet. I want to make sure the higher-ranking guys take it easy on me until I get some of the fundamentals down.

Also, I didn't start this thread with the purpose of giving advice to others, but rather to just share my first BJJ experience with others. I know there have been many threads about this topic, but I didn't want to do any thread hijacking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by I Choke You
    Man...if I was in Japan, I wouldn't be doing BJJ...Shooto would be so much more fun IMO.
    Well, they also do Shooto at the gym I go to, but I wanted to work purely on my groundwork. Also, it's funny what you get interested in once you get over here. I guess it has a lot to do with what's in your area and what your work hours are. As for me, teaching English over here is great, but it has its drawbacks, namely the hours. Most gyms are closed by the time I get out of work.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh, I thought about doing the same thing, specifically so I could train there, anyway, it sounds like you're on the right track.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by I Choke You
    Huh, I thought about doing the same thing, specifically so I could train there, anyway, it sounds like you're on the right track.
    Unless you're tired up with a family or something, you should definitely come over here to be an English teacher. It's pretty easy. All you need is a basic understanding of English and a 4-year degree from any university. Besides, it's worth it for the martial arts aspect. One of my acquaintances, who's another English teacher here, got treated to Pride GP tickets by his students.

Also, if you're scared about speaking Japanese, don't be. Many of the teachers who come over here can't speak a lick of Japanese. Some of them eventually learn, but most of them go back home with only some basic greetings.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be there, if I had a degree...but I'll probably never have one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:44am

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff.

Keep at it and prepare to tap like a zillion times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Kidnemo
    Good stuff.

Well, during my four minutes with the instructor, I tapped to him about 4-5 times and I knew he was really taking it easy on me.

He kept putting me in his guard and just sat there until I made a move. I knew if he had wanted to, he couldn't went for anything and got it in less than a couple of seconds.

Anyway, by watching what he was doing, I learned a little bit about how to control someone from the guard. Now if only I can put it to practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:58am

Style: BJJ/SW/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the basic stuff doesn't seem to work because you have such a limited set of tools to work with. It's easy for the opponent to resist when he knows what's coming. If there were a technique that works every time, that's the only thing people would practice. As that's not the case, you just need to keep practicing until you know more moves and how to transition between them. It's really rewarding when things fall into place and you can play a game of action and reaction with the opponent.
  9. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Kidnemo
    Agreed, I've only been doing it for 3 weeks and I think that I'm already half way to a zillion. I think I can understand what a prison bitch must feel like the way these guys pass me around for their amusement.:)
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 10/06/2004 12:36pm at .

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like there would be more uproar coming from Japan about the "B" in BJJ.

"That's nothing but glorified Judo!" "That's not Brazilian, its Japanese!" "Ever heard of Kosen Judo, bitch?!!" etc.

Keep up the good work by the way. The guard is frustrating and suffocating. I went to a seminar and was dreaming about being between men's legs for awhile.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast