Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 3:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I just reposted this because there are a lot of new people and I see them argue about Bruce Lee sometimes. I had been looking for this article for a while. I was glad to see it again.

Anyway, this is the best I could do for the guy. All the other documentaries (including John Little's) just repeat this stuff. What you have here are actual people who knew Bruce Lee or worked with him right on film telling you their version of what they saw. That's pretty much all Curse of The Dragon (still the best documentary on Mr. Lee) is. The article by Will Cheung was a testimony he wrote. You guys don't have to believe these guys. I'm just saying that the man did get into some fights according to the people who knew him. (I also recommend Top Fighters because of the cool interview with Joe Lewis.)

If this stuff doesn't hold water then blame those guys. I didn't do it. I wasn't even alive back then.

p.s.

This belongs here as well. It's the guy who Bruce beat in his most famous challenge match telling his version of the story.

http://www.lakungfu.com/sifujackmanwong.html
    Last edited by 9chambers; 10/06/2004 3:18am at .

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 3:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    surely more elaborate accounts must exist?
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 3:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, obviously I didn't write out the entire quotes. I just wanted to point to what was included. Bob Wall says a lot about Bruce on that tape. Kareem Abdul Jabbar is on there quite a bit. James Coburn talks about his relationship with Steve McQueen. It's a pretty cool tape.

I've never seen or read anything more detailed on the guy's fights than what I listed above. If you find anything, feel free to add it. Try google.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 6:06am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although i respect elements of what Bruce lee did, I tend to take all this `fight` info with a pinch of salt. Mainly because its in a lot of people’s interest to `bolster` his legend, and also attach their name to his. Also, the Hong Kong `roof top` WC fights, that i`ve seen on video, look pretty sloppy too (IMHO)
    If you want to SEE a Bruce lee fight get the `long beach` footage (not officially available). In that you see Bruce spar against a Karate guy (don’t know the style), and he`s beaten(not a KO, but a decision). Although Bruce tends to get the first `FAST` punch in(not always) AS they close, after the first punch hits and they close, the fight becomes very equal. In fact, during the fight, Bruce gets side kicked right off camera a few times by the karate guy ..actually its the same side kick you later see Bruce glorify in his films (which makes me wonder if this is where it came from).
    In Bruce`s defence he was wearing gloves and head protection (which would, i guess, limit his WC skills) ...the same protection you see him wearing in the official footage, that you`ve seen in martial documentaries, when he`s demo`s JKD

If you want to buy the unofficial long beach footage (no sound and the picture is quite bad because its ported straight from `cine` film, but still watchable) check the link below. i should also say this is not the version later remastered by the Bruce lee estate (seen in many martial documentaries) ..who also edited the footage, missing this fight, by the way :)

http://www.katoman.com/video%20folder/videos.htm

PS: the site says the footage is `good quality`, if its the same version he sold me on video 3 years ago (his own version), it ain`t ..but its still watchable :)
    Last edited by Cannonfodder; 10/06/2004 6:10am at .

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 8:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I´ve heard that Jerry Lewis (the karate champion, not the comedy actor) taught the step-in sidekick to Bruce Lee.

I still beleive he could fight.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Bruce Lee is so far over-rated he makes Rickson look like the world's best fighter.

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Lights Out
    I´ve heard that Jerry Lewis (the karate champion, not the comedy actor) taught the step-in sidekick to Bruce Lee.

I still beleive he could fight.

Ahem, JOE lewis :o

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long Beach Footage
    several places to buy this footage from, I have spent years putting together the best of what is out there, several fights, Norris, Lewis, Danny doing stick demo, plus Bruce for several minutes doing what got him the Kato part. quality is very good

That one?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:42pm

Style: BJJ/SW/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with testimonies from these co-actors and whatnot is that none of them know anything about martial arts, so they can't really assess the quality of Bruce's opponents. Furthermore, the persons who make those kind of challenges usually have little if any martial arts skill. I don't doubt that Bruce has sparred with some skilled guys, but most of these so called "challenge fights" were propably just Bruce spanking some bullies and they got glorified because it looked somewhat brutal to the untrained eye.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/07/2004 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Cannonfodder
    Although i respect elements of what Bruce lee did, I tend to take all this `fight` info with a pinch of salt. Mainly because its in a lot of people’s interest to `bolster` his legend, and also attach their name to his. Also, the Hong Kong `roof top` WC fights, that i`ve seen on video, look pretty sloppy too (IMHO)
    If you want to SEE a Bruce lee fight get the `long beach` footage (not officially available). In that you see Bruce spar against a Karate guy (don’t know the style), and he`s beaten(not a KO, but a decision). Although Bruce tends to get the first `FAST` punch in(not always) AS they close, after the first punch hits and they close, the fight becomes very equal. In fact, during the fight, Bruce gets side kicked right off camera a few times by the karate guy ..actually its the same side kick you later see Bruce glorify in his films (which makes me wonder if this is where it came from).
    In Bruce`s defence he was wearing gloves and head protection (which would, i guess, limit his WC skills) ...the same protection you see him wearing in the official footage, that you`ve seen in martial documentaries, when he`s demo`s JKD

If you want to buy the unofficial long beach footage (no sound and the picture is quite bad because its ported straight from `cine` film, but still watchable) check the link below. i should also say this is not the version later remastered by the Bruce lee estate (seen in many martial documentaries) ..who also edited the footage, missing this fight, by the way :)

http://www.katoman.com/video%20folder/videos.htm

PS: the site says the footage is `good quality`, if its the same version he sold me on video 3 years ago (his own version), it ain`t ..but its still watchable :)

I sent an email asking about availability to the guy. That video sounds cool and so I'm going to try and order it.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast