Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I could only take one art, it would be Judo. It has throwing and a name for every takedown in wrestling, and the core of BJJ's ground work.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 10/05/2004 10:07am at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judo can help you with the clinch/standing grappling and positional control/dominance on the ground. both are important parts of the game. in general the judo you practice will differ from what you would use in comps due to some of the silly stalling rules (if BJJ encourages overly long ground matches, judo seems to do the opposite in comps). look for a place where randori is an integral part of training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 11:31am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learning a MA for self defense will, at worst, teach you to do SOMETHING in the event of a fight, as opposed to nothing. People learn through repetition and so punching pads (LOTS), doing katas (LOTS) or applying an armbar (LOTS) will mean that in the event of a fight you will react instinctively, before you have to actually 'think'. Judo is great for self defense, be aware that many people on this forum are focussed on the MA sports side of things which has been pointed out is very different to fighting for self defense. My brother has just taken it up and is enjoying it alot.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MuayThai,Igo Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    If I could only take one art, it would be Judo. It has throwing and a name for every takedown in wrestling, and the core of BJJ's ground work.

EXACTLY!:D

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/08/2004 7:46pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is an excellent place to start self-defence/Comabt-oriented training. You will learn leverage, control, takedowns, groundwork,and submissions. Not to mention your pain threshold will go through the roof (or you'll quit!) I recommend that before long you studiy some kind of striking tho. I did Judo for about two years and got into a fistfight...I won by taking the guy down, but he punched the **** out of me before I could choke him out. Found myself a good boxing gym shortly afterwards. I stuck with Judo for ten years tho and I still consider it a great combat art.

definately try it!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12