Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by lama_xy
    Bwahaha. I am not mocking you, but I feel sorry for anyone thinking that Hsing-I is FORWARD-only attacking. :D Similar to sacrifice throws in judo...most styles will have techniques that you can use even though you are giving up your space/position.
    True... but ignoring the Hsing-I thing (or any style for that matter) as a general rule, never take more than two retreating steps on the same line. Otherwise there is most likely pain in your future if the attacker has any degree of experience.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 4:22pm

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt,

Yep. I have heard the same thing. However, if you are retreating and counter-attacking, then your opponent must be pretty good if he can still attack you after your counters :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Zing (Andrew), you know we're into the combat aspect of XingYi more than some people at the school, and we both need the experience. If you ever want to do some more combat oriented drills or sparring, just ask. It does get slightly boring at times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 4:38pm

Style: Tai-Chi, Judo, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve, yeah, lets do that light-spar thing next time. I think we've got a lot to learn about dealing with stuff the other has going on ;-)

Matt it'll be a riot cranking that game up a little!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, as a sideliner, Zing, you just need to spend some time hitting people and getting hit. It's not hard, and I think a couple of hours with boxing gloves screwing around with your buddies would put the whole game in a new context for you.

As for pulling, yeah, I did notice some of the hard-style vs. hard-style bouts got pretty active, but then that's kinda what I'd expect, and even there I'm sure force was cut a long, long, long, long, long way.

I think that's a Good Thing. If we did a lot of this and got to know eachother's approaches a bit better, I could see going significantly harder, but there are real problems with working with people who's styles you're totally unfamiliar with. Lots of potential for suddenly discovering something new as it crashes into your unsuspecting body!

Perhaps somebody should bring one of those whole-body focus pads next time and we can play the "call that hard? watch this!" game to see who's got the most power behind their blows!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by lama_xy
    However, if you are retreating and counter-attacking, then your opponent must be pretty good if he can still attack you after your counters :)
    Agreed again. But retreating and mounting a counter attack is a relatively advanced skill. Arugeably the retreat is really a feint in thses cases.

In general however, most aggressors can attack harder in a forward direction than someone can effectively retreat opposite said direction. Best strategy if you can't launch a counter attack is to break the line after one or two steps backward (which of course leads to Asia and Omega's trademarked Hsing-I joke).

Great dialog everyone! As far as I'm concerned: best throwdown evah!

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 6:24pm

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Matt Bernius
    Agreed again. But retreating and mounting a counter attack is a relatively advanced skill. Arugeably the retreat is really a feint in thses cases.

In general however, most aggressors can attack harder in a forward direction than someone can effectively retreat opposite said direction. Best strategy if you can't launch a counter attack is to break the line after one or two steps backward (which of course leads to Asia and Omega's trademarked Hsing-I joke).

Great dialog everyone! As far as I'm concerned: best throwdown evah!

- Matt
    Matt,
    I will make sure to try to convince you otherwise next time with some loopy Lama retreating attacks :) They won't be purely backward but there are more ways to break a line than a cat has lives. :P

If you were trying to imitate Phil Baroni...then that would be the best post evah!

Chuong

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 11:06pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Apostol
    Hey Zing (Andrew), you know we're into the combat aspect of XingYi more than some people at the school, and we both need the experience. If you ever want to do some more combat oriented drills or sparring, just ask. It does get slightly boring at times.
    Sounds good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 4:30pm

Style: shido/ streetfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Matt Bernius
    So onto the comments...

Just A Black Guy, you asked for feedback, here goes:

I think you're in a great place for how long you've been studying. Your techniques were pretty crisp overall and you were willing to throw everything and the kitchen sink at people.

On the improvement side, here are a few things to consider:

1. Distancing - Overall your technqiues were reaching maximum power and extension about an inch off of the person you were working with. I don't know if you were conciously pulling or not, but in general you need to get closer. Otherwise, people who can read distance are not going to react against your technqiues (so if it seemed like I wasn't respecting your techniques yesterday, that's why).

2. Telegraphing - You need to work on hiding your techniques (especially kicks). While they were all crisp, nine times out of ten your body told us that they were coming long before they actually made it to us. This is a tough thing to work on and comes with experience.

3. Arbitrary techniques - You threw everything and the kitchen sink which was great. However, there wasn't always a logic behind your attacks. So you sometimes threw techniques that just didn't fit the situation. Again this is an experience thing.

finally

4. Work on developing hooking power - this is something you might want to talk with One Winged Angel about (king of the hooks). You were good at slipping the low hook in. Unfortunately, the feeling that I got from being hit by your hooks is that you don't understand power generation for them. While I know you weren't going full on, I never felt that there was enough behind them to do any real damage if you were. That being said I think a few changes in how you're throwing them (shifting to a bit more of a western paradigm) and they'll have a much bigger impact.

Hope this helps. It was great working with you!

- Matt
    yeah i know. i'm so used to fighting bare knuckle thats why. you don't have to swing that hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JABG - yeah, the whole gloves thing is taking some getting used to here too - I'm **really** conditioned to bare hands, unpadded sparring where even a pretty light touch registers a hit and people are pretty open. I'm going to bring some gloves and a groin guard and mouth guard and stuff next time, but it's going to be thing which takes some adaptation.

I gotta work on this big kicks game. I should have stepped up and done a round with you and your friend ;-)

Next month, I guess.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast