Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 1:29pm

Style: Tai-Chi, Judo, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, and please let me know how I was doing!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 1:42pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Matt. I agree that I need to be more aggressive. The fighting strategy of xing yi is to mow down your opponent. But I found myself backing up pretty often. I need to practice staying on the offensive more.

Psi Vampire Bane

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Samurai_Steve, by all means, I'm interested in hearing some feedback.
    Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OneWing, I've been working on my hands since the Throwdown actually, come to the conclusion that I'm a little bit crimped back. This time, I was focusing on: not reinjuring my shoulder, closing the distance, and getting into Judo range. Next time I'd like to work on closing with you without using kicks on either side...my one note for you is that you're going to have to figure out how to get your balance back when someone jams your kicks. Also, your strength and technique have clearly refined since last time; good job.

keinhaar, if you have any insight as to why you get my back so easily, I'd appreciate it. I look forward to having mats again...I have these really nifty diagrams of technical-tactical throwing combinations I want to work on.

Hayt: Remember when you were doing the 'Frankenstein' choke on me? The thing I used to counter it is called a cross face: you put your weight on the face with the forearm and then push it to the side to twist their head away. Watch for that, and armbars, in fact, don't choke with the fingers, it's inefficient. Breathe when you're on the ground! As for the standup, I'll just echo Yogi Bear: be more aggressive and you'll get a lot better quick. Bagua is hard to work up to the point where it's scary, but rewarding it is also.

Zing! I'd love to work with you more on your form sometime. Main thing for you is just don't be afraid of contact: stepping back will get you hurt worse a lot of times anyway, when you have someone really aggressive.

Matt Bernius, I'd enjoy going a little harder with you sometime. Good attempt to roll out of that Guillotine, if you had been looking for my guard as I brought you down you probably could have pulled it off. We'll do more ground next time.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 2:46pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

From left: Jeice, keinhaar, April, justA black guy, Zing!, Vinay, Matt Bernius, One Winged Angel, samurai_steve, Xango, lama_xy, Hayt.

Alright. :)

===

JustA Black Guy: As I said before, you had wicked smooth form, and personally, I thought you put some oomph on those hooks, not to mention catching me off guard with leads to the lower body. However, as mentioned before, you telegraphed several of your high-quality kicks. I imagine that if you can conceal your ki/tells before a move, you'll be quite the contender. I imagine that under a more combative condition you'd be more capable. Regarding the clinch, I deliberately kept my blows at about half-power when striking you on the ground and in the thai clinch. You surprised me with knees, but I went along with it and had fun. I think that in the clinch, you should work for better position more, since I was able to nail you with hooks to the floating ribs that would have hurt more in a more combative setting.

====

lama: As I said before in the other thread, I didn't perceive any fault in your technique and capabilities. My grappling advantage on the ground came solely from weight, and you almost had me in a number of locks. I've never had a leg-lock applied to me before, so that was new.... and cool. :) You rocked me hard with the 4oz gloves, which is all good, cause we slowed it down a little afterwards.

===

OWA: I kept all of my kicks, especially the ones to the upper thigh, at about 60-70%. I had a hard time getting through the high guard due to the reach differences, but I managed to snake some shots in. You got me good a few times with punches, and as you said before, you were able to bear down on me and put me on the defensive. Your kicking ability is equal to mine, probably better, and I think you had a speed advantage on me.

In the clinch, as with JABG, I checked my punches at about half-power to the ribs. SInce you have the height advantage, you may want to consider "dropping" your weight on the other guy to make them work harder for position. You need to watch out for your lead leg, because had I been going harder, it could have been much more difficult for you to use it since I generally fight by breaking down a person's base (legs) to offset their game. You kept throwing the same 1-2-kick combo and I was able to anticipate at some point. It's a great combo, but also consider using a kick as a lead, such as lead-round - 1 - 2 - rear-round.

You had a good mix of high-low targets, but you prefer hitting the upper body.

===

Yogi Bear (aka vinay???)

As I said in the other thread, I'm not used to more circular styles and punches originating from where you pulled them from, so some of them did snake through prior to my contact against you. I kept my kicks at about 50%, especially the push kicks which snaked through to your midsection. You gotta watch out for those. You're about the same height as me, but as soon as I saw you closing, I threw it out there to check your advance, and most of the time, they connected. Try not lunging in from so far since you can't stop the momentum.

It's understandable that you had difficulty with my style (and gear) given your stated lack of experience with it. (Kick)Boxing is fairly linear except for hooks and uppercuts, so generally, what you see is what you get in terms of where the strikes will come from. I think that your suggestion of light sparring would be extremely helpful. I generally stick with several combos that have high effectiveness, and they're common to most (kick)boxers.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Xango
    Matt Bernius, I'd enjoy going a little harder with you sometime. Good attempt to roll out of that Guillotine, if you had been looking for my guard as I brought you down you probably could have pulled it off. We'll do more ground next time.
    Thanks, but actually with the Guillotine, I had thought you were going through with a full roll into a mount Guillotine.

I definitely want to go harder with a mat as I really dug the base attacks you were doing and I'd like to see where some of those were going (and if I was only able to negate them because of pace rather than positioning).

Steve: While I didn't get the chance to work with you this time around, I did watch a lot of what you were doing. One think you need to work on is that your guard tends to open to the corners when you kick (perhaps due to chest expansion / turtling the back). Basically your arms open up leaving you centerline open. Your kicks are solid, but if someone can slip them to the inside, and they're aware, they can own your centerline (I think this was what OWA was doing to you at times).

Yogi: Yeah I tend to go outside. Next time we work that lets build more offense into it to see what you would do in those situations. Off the top of my head I can't remember what my thoughts were on going to the outside line.

On a general throwdown suggestion, perhaps we could do two types of sparring. I think it is valuable to go to more of a competition based model at times. But perhaps that could occur at the end of the throwdown.

The other type is goal based sparring (a la Straight Blast among others). Basically have the participants have individual, but complimentary goals. For example with Zing, we would have you exclusively work offense and your partner exclusively work defense. There could also be a role reversal halfway through the session.

Basically we want to ensure an environment where everyone can work on their skills with a positive level of resistance. At the same time it makes sense to ensure that no one completely outclasses anyone else (at least for the goal based rounds) otherwise substantive learning really isn't possible.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 2:51pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve: While I didn't get the chance to work with you this time around, I did watch a lot of what you were doing. One think you need to work on is that your guard tends to open to the corners when you kick (perhaps due to chest expansion / turtling the back). Basically your arms open up leaving you centerline open. Your kicks are solid, but if someone can slip them to the inside, and they're aware, they can own your centerline (I think this was what OWA was doing to you at times).
    ....open to the corners?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve,

Oy... ummm, let see. It looks like normally you maintain a centerline boxing guard (or something close to it). Essentially both fists occupy your centerline as it projects towards you opponent. Basically they make sure that someone simply can't jab you in the face by going down that center line.

However on a lot of your front kicks the right fist tends to open/drift to the right and the left fist tends to open/drift to the left. Once the kick is done they return to center and back to guard. The overall effect, intended or not is that your guard opens outward leaving your centerline open. Also this type of motion can also act as a telegraph (though I can't remember if it typically went before or with the kick),

That make more sense? Again the net is the same. If someone slips the kick to the inside with a jab or cross they've got an open line to your face.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 3:43pm

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keinhaar,
    You brought up a good point and only the individual will know whether or not you were pulling punches, taking it easy, etc. I train mainly in a controlled sparring environment so that's what I was doing. But I tend to match the level of contact that was thrown at me. Regardless of the level of contact, I personally believe that if you were open and your opponent got to you....a light hit is the same as a powerful hit, ie had your opponent done the hit with power and proper intention you would be in a world of hurting.

Given the location of our throwdown (out in the corner of a public park on dirt and grass)...we cant really do MMA rules (we could...but no one even brought it up). However, if you want that format, I'll be your Huckleberry. :)

We need to roll alot more!!! If not @ Force, I will meet you half-way or something. BJJ is great, not because it's a complete system (striking techniques?), but it's great because of alot of drilling of the ground game itself. Considering that ppl would often say that same school, same style, you win by size, I think I did pretty well against you. Your strategy of tiring me out by having me roll against April kinda worked LOL as I couldn't sink in the RNC on you. :) How about some light sparring next time as I didn't see you in any stand-up matches.

Zing!,
    Hsing-I is NOT about mowing ppl over. It's about taking your opponent's center with the smallest angle possible, ie crushing fist = Wood = image of the grains of the wood is straight yet not straight...and that's the power in the structure of WOOD. You need to create your opportunities as your opponent will not stand still and let you attack. Don't be "hungry" and aggressive when attacking because you will create opportunities for your opponent. Controlled attacks with proper setup, ie Splitting, Drilling, follow by Crushing. You need to know when to give up your attacks and not force it, ie if it doesn't work...don't try to power it in (cuz I will have surprises for ya). Then again...this is my own interpretation based on my teacher's training methods and fighting experiences so let 'nature and science be your teacher' (ie creation/destruction cycle of the 5-elements have no place in martial arts).

Jeice,
    We had a brief exchange so I don't really know what to say. Learning how to control your distance is always good for anyone. Mix it up a little bit. You also scanned my body in order to try to predict whether or not I was coming in with kicks or punches. Just try looking at the outer frame of your opponent, 60% on the top and 40% on the bottom or whatever you are comfortable with. I could tell I kinda rattled you when I caught your kicks and put you down on the ground. If it was MMA rules...your opponent would have tried to jump on you instead of restarting. Try to mix it up a bit. Use your kicks to setup strikings and vice versa. I didn't see your other matches, but everyone raves about your kicks. Just don't commit to your attack up front, ie use kicks as fakes to close the distance. Ask yourself if you can handle someone smothering and pommeling you with close-distance attacks and whether or not you can effectively defend and/or counter. A wrestler/BJJ player will definitely close the distance and try to take you down. If you want to concentrate on standing....work on a few defensive moves on the ground (guard, half-guard, etc). I will gladly show you some ground stuff next time if you are interested.

Samurai Steve,
    I think I just caught you off guard by closing the distance and quickly changing your game plan with my flurries. Don't play your opponent's game, but rather try to play your game. When I was hooking you left and right, you brought up your hands to cover your head....but I simply changed the target and went downstairs. It's kinda counterintuitive, but if you are crowded and smothered....try covering your head and use your elbow while moving forward and toward your opponent. If he doesn't change the distance, you have effectively countered him and then you can start attacking or going back to your fighting position. I am usually the smallest guy so when it's on the ground....unless I throw you....I usually pull guard and let the guy tire himself out if he doesn't know what he is doing. We can work on some simple ground stuff next time if you are interested.

Everyone else,
    I would have love to have had the chance to go up against you. Xango and I go to the same CMA school. My teacher has alot of fighting experience and his training methodology has a steep learning curve so students don't readily see and/or believe what he teaches them. It was a good experience for me as I need to have validation of my training methodology and see what work or doesn't work.

til next time....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 3:56pm

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Xango
    Zing! I'd love to work with you more on your form sometime. Main thing for you is just don't be afraid of contact: stepping back will get you hurt worse a lot of times anyway, when you have someone really aggressive.
    Bwahaha. I am not mocking you, but I feel sorry for anyone thinking that Hsing-I is FORWARD-only attacking. :D Similar to sacrifice throws in judo...most styles will have techniques that you can use even though you are giving up your space/position.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast