Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 11:37pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I'm way too good for this thread, and it's really really boring to read retarded information that's been borrowed from bodybuilding sites, so I haven't really read most of it. So forgive me if someone has already answered this question.

Good info PizD, but could you elaborate on why you need more protein calories than fat calories?
    Ok, the "optimal safe range" for the three macronutrients are as follows:

Carbs: 45-75%
    Fat: 10-30%
    Protein: 15-25%

Now, everyone has a different nutrient profile. There are 5 basic nutrient profiles. What a nutrient profile is is what ratio of each macronutrient your body needs to perform optimally. For example, I am a profile 3, which means that my ideal range is 60% carbs, 20% fat, 20% protein.

All of the profiles fit within the optimal safe range I posted above, it's just a matter of WHERE in those ranges you sit.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    11/27/2004 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBM or PizD-

In my free time, I've been mentoring a applicant to my department who will be starting the academy sometime soon, mid-January, I believe.

He's a really intelligent, kind-hearted and a hard-working kid from a rough area of town and I think he'll make a great cop. Thing is, he's about 50 pounds overweight and needs to lose a lot, but not all, to make it through the academy.

I told him that the more weight he lost, the easier the academy would be. You don't go there to get in shape, if you're in shape you have more time to do the important things like study laws and cases, you look better in uniform, etc.

I've been running with him 3 mornings a week and lifting 3 nights a week and giving him basic nutritional advice.

Basically, I'd like to know how much he can realistically and heathily lose between now and then or per month or whatever. I know lifters can suffer from overtraining, is there such a thing as too much cardio?

Thanks.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 3:03am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight loss is really not my area of strength at all. But I'll see what I can add to try and help. From now to mid Jan would give us six weeks to work with.

How much he weighs now exactly to target weight does factor into the solution here. I'm going to assume maybe 250lbs he is now, and wants to get to 200. I think 1-2 lbs a week should be reasonable weight loss without dropping too much muscle mass and assuming correct diet and training.

Weights are really a good thing for him, as it will increase his body's calorie consumption allowing him to burn off more calories faster. Don't think you can suffer from too much cardio.

Chicken, tuna, salmon, whole wheat bread, ear dark green veggies, fibre, drink water, no pop, no candy, no junk food, no cheating, I'm sure you've got all those covered right?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 3:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's about 210 now, and for his height and frame size, he'd ideally be about 160.

Like I said, I've got him lifting three nights a week, and was pondering upping his cardio to 5 or 6 mornings a week and doing more cardio on the nights he doesn't lift. I was simply worried that if I get him running too often or too hard, he's gonna suffer in some area, a la the "Muay Thai and Sleep" thread.

I've lectured him plenty of times on low-GI carbs, lean proteins and lots of veggies and water, but I can't watch him 24/7.

Thanks again.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 3:41am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar
    Like I said, I've got him lifting three nights a week, and was pondering upping his cardio to 5 or 6 mornings a week and doing more cardio on the nights he doesn't lift. I was simply worried that if I get him running too often or too hard, he's gonna suffer in some area, a la the "Muay Thai and Sleep" thread.
    Well that thread may be another issue, since I don't think all his symptoms are related to physical breakdown of his body.

The only complication I can forsee right now is possible shin splints, and knee problems from the impact. This can be remedied by researching for how to deal with shin splints (discussed multiples on this forum already), switching cardio to biking or swimming to get more exercise in.

Sounds like a smallish dude, hope he makes it.

Also try, keeping a workout journal, so you can see progress and times needed for the runs.
    Also record lifts to see progress.

Try to promote the idea that he has to do it for HIMSELF, if he wants his goals. That should give him more self-motivation when you are not around.

Trust me, those sneaky bastards know me well! They keep putting doritos and chips near the checkout counter. But I am quite proud of myself, I refused multiple times their siren's call this week and thumbed my nose at them, and cast them down with all the righteous fury of the heavens above!!! Then I proclaimed, 'Ye heathens, thy spell shall no longer diffuse my sight! " Then I got banned from the store.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 6:46am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2lbs of fat per week is about the average you can expect to lose with good methods.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    11/29/2004 1:18pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad this finally got restickied. Thanks mods/admin.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 4:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    2lbs of fat per week is about the average you can expect to lose with good methods.
    The average or the max?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 8:07am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well TBM DID say average there. I would contend there would be no real 'max' per se as it depends on the practitioner. Heh, I mean the person's metabolism, initial starting weight and body fat percentages. That is why I asked about your friend's weight at first, obviously with smaller people the same amount of weight lost as a larger person is a larger percentage of total body weight for the smaller person.

Strange, how could I forget this information? (Then again on review you didn't really ask it.)

-Eat multiple smaller meals per day. This promotes fat burning (discourages the body to retain fat) as the body gets the signal that a steady flow of nutrients will be coming, and the body will not go into starvation mode. 5-6 meals evenly spaced throughout the day is optimal.
    -Do not induce a sudden drop in the amount of calories taken daily, this will again cause a state of starvation in the body and the body will retain fat. Counter-productive to our desires and goals.
    -Eat more protein. Fibre is good too. More water to help process that. (Those with kidney or liver problems should probably not go on a high protein diet, consult your doctor.)
    -Do not yo-yo diet (not that case with you Ka-Bar) as a common result is a weakened immune system and yo-yoing weight to go along with that.

As of about last night, I've taken on a fellow student as a trainee. I plan to put her through full body conditioning using calisthenics and free weights, but the REAL challenge will come through changing her diet and dietary habits. (And now that I remember as I'm typing this....her liver or was it kidney problems? DAMNIT! I AM IN A CONUNDRUM!)

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 8:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    As of about last night, I've taken on a fellow student as a trainee. I plan to put her through full body conditioning using calisthenics and free weights, but the REAL challenge will come through changing her diet and dietary habits. (And now that I remember as I'm typing this....her liver or was it kidney problems? DAMNIT! I AM IN A CONUNDRUM!)
    Is the more accurate term "test subject"? :P

Good luck. :\
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast