Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 7:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xango - I believe (don't quote me on this) that the carbs in milk were sugars, so that is likely where the classification of 'simple carbs' comes in. Regardless milk and yogurt have been removed from that list.

Hawkeye - Works for what? Trying to shed a lot of weight? :)
    Those Ramen noodles got the sodium like nuts!
    My diet guidlines are for everyone maintaining, bulking or cutting.

philby909090 - Thank you for your PM, I'm glad the information has helpd you.
    Regardless of who cooks in your family, request that they attempt to include more mushrooms, peppers and those healthier foods I mentioned. That will help, as I've influenced my parents to eat healthier since they cook.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't recommend soy as it doesn't have enough soluble protein - maybe only the soy protein shakes which taste vulgar imo (I either had to take them or stop being Vegan, so I stopped being Vegan.)

I find that soy doesn't keep you goign either - i.e. you're hungry 45 minutes later which is no good for training. That's definitely what I found. Being hungry before and during training isn't much fun.
    Last edited by Blad3; 10/06/2004 1:55am at .
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good thread, lots of info.

Diet is probably the most underrated part of training.
    Wither its about getting big or trimming down, food is the key.
    So many people are worried about how much ST they do to get big and the forget that, you get big when you eat to get big.
    Diet is the key to changing/improving your looks, or your performance.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 10:55am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor stresses diet heavily. His three rules to good jiu-jitsu: Eat well. Train hard. Sleep well.

He's big on fish oil, but is particular about the quality and the purity. I can get his sources for the information, since he reads about this stuff all the time. He also stresses eating natural, unprocessed foods, and avoiding crappy carbs and fats, like those is fast food.

I'll see what references I can gather from him, since I know he'll gladly talk to me about this endlessly.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by philby909090
    That cant be good! Do you feel weak or anything? I spose its not as bad as my brothers ex who used to smoke ciggaretes when she was hungry.

Anyway, heres my diet:

For breakfast I have 2 pieces of wholebread but no spreads because I like the taste.
    During the day I'll snack on fruit like bananas etc. and I have a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice everyday.
    For lunch I might have a tuna salad or a sandwhich with lettuce, tomato, cheese and salami from the deli

For dinner I'll have a steak with vegetables and potatoes, or pasta with eggplant, or sugo, etc. I really have no control over this because its my dad who cooks.
    Holy damnation, how can you live off that little food? Do you not exercise much?
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:12pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ronin69 - That's one of the major reasons I created this writeup. :)

Aesopian - Great to have an instructor knowledgeable in nutrition! Can you request he come here, read my thread, and give me some input?

Originally posted by Blad3
    I find that soy doesn't keep you goign either - i.e. you're hungry 45 minutes later which is no good for training. That's definitely what I found. Being hungry before and during training isn't much fun.
    And you have experimented with this using other types of protein shakes so you could compare them?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I should add, this is an awesome diet. I'll see about getting my instructor to read and comment on it.

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:37pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also got an email back from someone I sent this to:

i didn't have time to read it all yet, but i have 3 comments so far:
    1) fruits and veggies are a source of simple sugars but they DO contain many vitamins and minerals.
    2)saturated fat intake should not be equal to mono and poly. In fact, you should have more poly than anything else. There are 2 essential fatty acids, omega 3 and omega 6. They are both polyunsaturated. Every other type of fat can be made from these. Therefore you dont need to eat saturated or mono (although mono is healthier than sat).
    3) fish oil extracts are NOT recommended (in fact, i think you need a prescription). Too much omega 3 can result in thin blood. Eskimos dont die of heart attack, but they die of bleeding to death because of their high fish intake.
    I do agree with the first point.

Second point, I don't really bother remembering or paying attention to types of fats anymore.
    Due to me not personally am not at risk for heart attack, and avoiding certain foods like fries I will already have less intake of the 'bad' fats. And I exercise regularly too! :)

Third point, never heard of it before. Turns out fish oils DO indeed thin the blood.
    But my counterpoint to this is that, some of us living in an North American culture do not eat enough fish, and eat too much red meat, which has more artery clogging fats. I know people on Tylenol to help keep their blood thin and avoid heart attacks. An easy sign of blood being too thin would be frequent bleeding noses...

I uncovered some interesting information with a quick search.

dietary fish oil supplements unquestionably can extend the lives of subjects with heart disease
    Also at high doses (10 grams per day or higher), the fish oils had adverse effects„increased bleeding time and gastrointestinal side effects were common, and immune system competence was threatened. Results from other controlled trials suggest that low doses of fish oils can effectively save lives, and with minimal adverse effects.
    Cell Membranes, Endothelia, and Atherosclerosis
    The Importance of Dietary Fatty Acid Balance

Further reading and reference:
    Catch of the Day: Fish Oils

Thoughts?

My friend says that only 3 grams daily of fish oil fats are sufficient, the higher doses are generally for those who have had heart attacks. I have no dissension, so unless anyone else has anything to add in that matter, I'll go with that.
    Last edited by PizDoff; 10/06/2004 11:12pm at .

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:46pm

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, why not eat it as "filler" when you're still hungry?

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 2:09pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by CaptShady
    If iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, why not eat it as "filler" when you're still hungry?
    I said ALMOST! "Stuff like iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value; Romaine is much more nutritional. "

As filler it is great, I usually ask for a large stack on my burgers to get some more moisture and fibre in me, also great for filler is celery. (Another appetite suppresent I've found is brushing your teeth)

Celery has about 6 calories per 8-inch stalk
    http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast