Posted On:
    4/10/2005 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mick_
    i didn't find any thing when i searched, so here it goes:

which should i drink. Gatorade or water? my boxing coach preaches gatorade for hydration, and just general drinking. other places i have heard only use gatorade for hydration, and drink water for general health.

currently i drink about 1.5 gallons of water a day.

so what do you think?
    Both. Gatorade replaces things like Potassium, Sodium, Taurisine( Although I doubt Gatorade puts any signifigant amount in Gatorade), etc. It allows your body to have a weak fuel to use while you're going through strenous activities. Sort of like the stuff they sell that can give you a gallon or two of fuel if you run out of gas on the road. See the thing about gatorade though is that isn't the ultimate recharge bullshit they throw at you on tv. It's just a high glycemic beverage. Fast acting sugars in other words. You can match this by making up your own blend of fruit juices and water them down a little. You have your own blend of more efficient fuel that more than likely tastes better, is cheaper and contains a more well rounded amount of amino acids and vitamins that your body excretes and uses up while lifting.

Haha, I just read your posts Pizd about the mushrooms. What can I say, it's a reflex reaction anytime someone mentions the words "food, cook, how?" in a statement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 12:22am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And now for something completely different

I have seen some people on the forum bad mouthing yogurt because of lactose intolerance. Id just like to add that the bacteria that creates the yogurt break apart the lactose into lactic acid, hence the tang of yogurt. This means that even those lactose intolerant should be able to eat it no problem.

Im not an expert I just watch a lot of cooking shows
    Last edited by Robot Jesus; 6/22/2005 12:30am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 12:05pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    Now, everyone has a different nutrient profile. There are 5 basic nutrient profiles. What a nutrient profile is is what ratio of each macronutrient your body needs to perform optimally. For example, I am a profile 3, which means that my ideal range is 60% carbs, 20% fat, 20% protein.
    So how does one find out what his nutrient profile is?

Thanks for the Fit Day website. Apparently I haven't been making any strength gains because I don't eat enough. About more calories should be consumed than burned in order to build muscle?

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 7:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As many cals over maintainence as possible.
    I've heard for a slow bulk eat 200 cals over maintainence.

Don't forget to do some extreme rest.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 11:17pm

Style: Whatever I can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys,

This is my first post on this site, and I think it's awesome!! I've been really reviewing everything I think I know about exercise and nutrition over the last couple of weeks, and I've found some exceptional sites on both. I'll list some of these below (I've already seen some of them mentioned before), in no particular order:

www.dragondoor.com Excellent site for bodyweight style strength and conditioning, with some particularly good articles on gymnastics type exercises. (bit heavy on the ads though!)

www.trainforstrength.com Another bodyweight oriented site run by an ex US navy diver, emphasis is on hard circuit type training

www.crossfit.com This is a cracking site! The aim is develop the body on all front's with the empasis on a balanced approach. (Kinda reminds me of the training we used to do while I was in basic training with the Royal Marines)

Appologies at this point, I know it's a diet thread primarily and these are mainly conditioning websites, but there's some good diet info on there (bare with me)!

Over the course of my 'research' I've been more and more interested in diet and training when examined from an evolutionary point of view. The contention is (in a nutshell) that our genes haven't had time to adapt from paleolithic times and alot of modern foods aren't suitable for us. These include anything from the neolithic (agricultural) period forward, including sugar, wheat, dairy products etc... Essentially this means calorie dense, high GI foods, note that I don't think this is an Atkinsesque attempt to 'calorie bash'. Some sources:

www.paleodiet.com Good intro to the basic ideas.

www.tbkfitness.org Another good intro, not all that conviced with his exercise ideas though.

www.arthurdevany.com This one is the mutt's nuts in my view!! The site's not set out in a particularly easy to use way, but it's gold!

In brief, Art De Vany is an Economics Professor with an interest in chaos theory/complex systems and an impressive athletic background... There's an interview with him on the Clarence Bass website (which is incidentally another great source!): www.cbass.com/EvolutionaryFitness.htm which introduces the guy's ideas far better than I could. There's also a downloadable (free) pdf on his -de Vany's- website which outlines his ideas in more depth.

Before flaming me to a crisp for fad following, bandwagon jumping moron, please have a read and let me know what you think. I'd like to think that I'm noe some credulous idiot and I think these ideas have real merit!

P.S. Appologies if such a long 'first post' from a noob is considered poor etiquette :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 10:02am

Style: None Currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Both. Gatorade replaces things like Potassium, Sodium, Taurisine( Although I doubt Gatorade puts any signifigant amount in Gatorade), etc. It allows your body to have a weak fuel to use while you're going through strenous activities. Sort of like the stuff they sell that can give you a gallon or two of fuel if you run out of gas on the road. See the thing about gatorade though is that isn't the ultimate recharge bullshit they throw at you on tv. It's just a high glycemic beverage. Fast acting sugars in other words. You can match this by making up your own blend of fruit juices and water them down a little. You have your own blend of more efficient fuel that more than likely tastes better, is cheaper and contains a more well rounded amount of amino acids and vitamins that your body excretes and uses up while lifting.

Haha, I just read your posts Pizd about the mushrooms. What can I say, it's a reflex reaction anytime someone mentions the words "food, cook, how?" in a statement.
    Electrolytes are very important, but gatorade serves another purpose also. And making your own drink using fruit juice will not do that. The sugar found in fruits is Fructose. And Fructose alone cannot do what the glucose-syrup in gatorade does. That is Replenish Muscle Glycogen for fuel. Fructose has been shown to only replenish liver glycogen, which isn't what we are looking for when "refueling." So you won't have a good amount of Amino Acids as you states, nor will it be more efficient fuel, even if it does taste better. I'm not sure on the vitamin content however. I would say that the fruit juice would have more, but vitamins are not pertaining to this discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    As many cals over maintainence as possible.
    I've heard for a slow bulk eat 200 cals over maintainence.

Don't forget to do some extreme rest.

This will not work. While bulking your metabolism will speed up to compensate for the extra calories it is getting. And then your maintenance will have changed. In order to properly bulk you need to raise your daily caloric intake by 250-500 calories every 2-3 weeks so you can still build muscle and stay away from your metabolism. You will build much more muscle this way.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 11:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurada
    Electrolytes are very important, but gatorade serves another purpose also. And making your own drink using fruit juice will not do that. The sugar found in fruits is Fructose. And Fructose alone cannot do what the glucose-syrup in gatorade does. That is Replenish Muscle Glycogen for fuel. Fructose has been shown to only replenish liver glycogen, which isn't what we are looking for when "refueling." So you won't have a good amount of Amino Acids as you states, nor will it be more efficient fuel, even if it does taste better. I'm not sure on the vitamin content however. I would say that the fruit juice would have more, but vitamins are not pertaining to this discussion.

I agree about the Sucrose. I guess one would have to make a sugar syrup in some sort of beverage to replace the Glycogen. Hmmm... :XXknight:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 5:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since fructose replenishes liver glycogen I would suggest using little to no fruits in your home made mix. You do need a good source of electrolytes as well, and I do not know what to use to adequately replenish them all. Unless we used some fruits that had a few for the electrolytes along with some salt, then put in some maltodextrin or dextrose for muscle glycogen, and hey, we could even use kool-aid for flavor. Oh, wait, we could be breaching patent laws for the powedered gatorade recipe :-P

It would be awfully difficult to make a good "refueling" drink that tasted good.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 12:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taste is irrelevant. Drink it.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast