Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 11:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The PizDoff diet thread

I'm kinda sick of repeating myself, so I'll just plunk a whole bunch of nutritional information down here, come back and add to it occasionally.

Your own information appreciated. Questions invited as well.

Several people have been PMing me, just post questions here and either myself or someone else will get to it! Likely someone else has the same question!!!

One more thing, I in no way claim to be an expert. Do your own research as well in anything you think is odd, then intelligently post your thoughts on things that may differ from my posts.

*Coming soon, in the process of being developed.
    I'd appreciate if no one posted until I was 'done'

**Now pretty much completed, though I have been consistently updating it with new information and small stuff I left out like mushrooms and grapefruits. :)
    Last edited by PizDoff; 12/27/2005 12:38pm at .
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 1:57am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of this is original work, some stuff modified off the net from various sources.
    I do not claim this as my own original work. Sources from books, internet, and magazines.

*This post will be updated as information follows.

PizDoff's Daily Eating Rules

Frequency of Meals and General Guidelines
    Eat 4-6 times a day. Eating more frequently improves energy level, promotes fat burning, and avoids catabolic state where body is in 'starvation' mode. Don't miss breakfast; your body does not like running on empty. There is NOTHING wrong with eating right before bedtime. Eat foods that are as natural as possible; whole, unrefined and unadulterated. Eat some raw or 'living' foods. If cooking is required, cook as little as possible to preserve enzymes and other nutrients. Eat food that is as 'poison-free ' as possible. Chemicals in your food, water and air harm your health. Don't take megadoses of vitamin or minerals. Try to stop eating before you are completely full.

-Track calories and nutritional breakdown at www.fitday.com
    No I never use it, haha.

-Make sure protein intake>fat intake.
    Carbs are generally inconsequential to me, but attempt mostly 'good' carbs. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.
    with your fat intake split between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

-Have a balanced diet.
    Adapted from: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=19

Protein is the building block of muscle. This does not mean protein will build muscle on it's own. When you exercise (i.e., weight training), your muscles become damaged. Your body uses protein to repair the muscles, making them stronger and eventually bigger. Examples include lean beef, chicken, fish, eggs, beans, cottage cheese, soy, etc.

Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for our bodies. There are two types of carbohydrates: simple and complex.

Simple carbohydrates are digested quickly. Many contain refined sugars and few essential vitamins and minerals. Examples include fruits, fruit juice, honey, molasses, maple syrup, and sugar.

Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest and are usually packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Examples include vegetables, breads, cereals, legumes, and pasta.

Fat is essential for body insulation, internal organ protection, nerve transmission and metabolising fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K). Remember - there is good fat and bad fat. Good fats, or Essential Fatty Acids, are found in flaxseed oil, safflower oil, natural peanut butter, nuts, and many types of fish. All saturated fat should be avoided as much as possible.

Liquids
    Drink water. Lots of it. When you are thirsty, drink. But when doing a higher level of strenuous level of activity, drink more pre-workout and try to get some in during workout.
    Pop, coffee, urine does not count and should be generally avoided.
    Green tea is good as well, powerful antioxidants and anti-carcinogenic properties.
    Most fruit drinks are mostly sugar carbs.
    More discussion below...

Cheat Meals
    Cheat meals, or 'unhealthies' are generally fine. But not too often, at most a couple times a week. 'Unhealthies' includes carbonated beverages (pop), candy, junk food, 95% of McDonald's foods, amazingly fatty Burger King fries, fries in general, anything soaked in saturated fat. Careful with pizza, microwave dinners and instant foods, their higher levels of sodium need to be balanced out by drinking more water.

Low-glycemic carbs throughout the day. Only time high-glycemic carbs are taken in on purpose are pre-,post-workout. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.
    Potatoes, yams, brown rice are examples of low-glycemic foods..

Avoid bleached flour products, nutrients destroyed/denatured by whitening process. Try to get mostly whole wheat bread, retains more nutrients, lower gylcemic-index as well.

Meats
    Salmon - Fresh or canned salmon is one of the best sources of the celebrated Omega-3 fatty acids, which can help prevent heart attacks. Try to get wild salmon more, lower level of PCBs and tastier.
    Tuna - Low fat, high protein. Some negatives discussed below.
    Chicken, turkey and apparently emu are all examples of low fat meat products.

Fruits and vegetables.
    Think colour, the more colourful one have the most nutritional benefit. Dark ones, and colourful ones! Stuff like iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value; Romaine is much more nutritional.
    Carrots - Beta carotene. Vitamin A
    Broccoli - Phytochemical sulforaphane, beta-carotene (good for the eyes and immune system, among other things), fibre and vitamin C.
    Blueberries, cranberries - antioxidative properties. vitamins
    Grapefruit - antioxidative properties, vitamins! Carcinogen inhibitor
    Banannas - Good source of quick carbs, post-workout. Has potassium which helps prevent cramping.
    Ground flaxseed - High in Omega-3 fatty acids.
    Garlic - Contains allicin, a phytochemical that may lower cholesterol and make blood platelets less sticky, cutting the risk of clots.
    Spinach - Iron and folate, a B vitamin.
    Tomatoes - Especially cooked or processed ones, can lower the risk of some cancers and heart disease. Experts attribute this to lycopene, a potent antioxidant and the pigment that makes tomatoes red. I particularly like to snack on cherry tomatoes and SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF THEM!!! BAHAHAAHAHH!!!
    Peppers - Antioxidants! Great snack to munch on raw as well.
    Mushrooms - Antioxidants again AND polysaccharids! Of particular fame is the Reishi Mushrooms. GO eat them!
    Green Onions - Vitamins...
    Ginger - More antioxidants I recall.
    Last edited by PizDoff; 11/30/2004 1:28pm at .
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 2:31am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One PM I just got, but felt it would be better responding here.

Mohawk wrote on 10-04-2004 03:20 AM:
    I was wondering what I could do about lunch? Since I'm trapped at school that time of the day I don't have many options (any at all) for healthy food.
    I got two main choices:
    Pizza
    or normal vending machine crap (chips and candy).

I was thinking that I might just stick with pizza and try to counter act all the sodium with drinking plenty of water.

I assume you MIGHT live in a city with a supermarket.
    Get whole wheat bread, cold cuts, maybe some cheese and lettuce for variety, some spread, low-fat mayo or whatever low-fat.
    Also for snack pick up some granola bars and fruit for carbs and vitamins.

Make the sandwhiches the night before, usually in the morning I have NO motivation for that.
    Refrigerate them, and bring them in your bag along with fruits and granola bars mentioned.

This way is much cheaper in the long run, and is also far healthier.
    Last edited by PizDoff; 10/04/2004 3:39pm at .

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 4:38am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zeddy wrote on 10-04-2004 05:15 AM:
    What about tuna? Are there dangers to eating too much of it? I've heard eating too much tuna can lead to a buildup of heavy metals.

Originally posted by accident in your thread. Deleted to send pm.
    Tuna is a good source of cheap low-fat protein.
    However there are some concerns.

As with salmon, PCBs will buildup in tuna.
    I don't think it is something to be concerned about yet, government regulations in most developed countries (correct me if I am wrong here) have legislated that companies only sell products that contain PCBs/other evil stuff under or at a set PPM level.

If you do want to avoid PCBs in fish, yet still get the benefits of omega-3 fatty oils then you can get a fish oil extract. Edit: New info in fish oil supplements here! I understand they filter PCBs and other crap out. Caveat emptor or whatever it is.
    Link here.

Additionally there is concern about histamine poisoning.
    A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association details the growing problem of histamine poisoning caused by tuna.
    Link here.

In conclusion, unless you have an allergy, I don't think it is a problem yet. It's 5:30 am here, my eyes aren't focusing, mind is malfunctioning, but here is another page about Fish and Wildlife Advisory News

http://map1.epa.gov/html/newsAugust03.htm

Edit: Forgot one thing last night, too much protein in a diet may be associated with

Osteoporsis
    Kidney stones
    Gout
    Colon Cancer
    3x the RDA is considered overconsumption

Discussed here.
    Last edited by PizDoff; 10/06/2004 1:40pm at .

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 5:24am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good info PizD, but could you elaborate on why you need more protein calories than fat calories?

I'm currently eating about a 2400 calorie a day diet that's about 55% carbs, 25% protein and 20 percent fat.

Also, is there any harm in drinking diet caffiene free soda?
    Last edited by Ka-Bar; 10/04/2004 5:29am at .

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 6:06am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers, can use some of that...

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 6:50am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread should be stickied like pizdoff's underwear after seeing McDojo Artist post pictures of himself. Oh that's right, I went there.

Seriously though, sticky sticky sticky!

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 12:07pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Ka-Bar
    Good info PizD, but could you elaborate on why you need more protein calories than fat calories?

I'm currently eating about a 2400 calorie a day diet that's about 55% carbs, 25% protein and 20 percent fat.
    Like I stated, these are MY diet rules. But I think all martial artists should be doing weights, and protein helps the muscles rebuild. Post workout you need some quick carbs, some slow carbs and protein. Additionally, when the body metabolises protein it has to raise the body temperature to do that, and that burns more calories. Another way to, coupled with smaller more frequent meals to burn more resting and stay lean. ;)

Originally posted by Ka-Bar
    Also, is there any harm in drinking diet caffiene free soda? [/B]
    Not really. Dangers from aspartame or whatever sweetner are really negligible. Though it has correlated with an incidence of producing cancer in rats. I think it says that on their little pink NutraSweet packages.
    [b]Edit: According to TBM and new research I've conducted, the NutraSweet crap is "saccharine" no aspartame.[b]
    *Shrugs* Google 'aspartame' if you want to read about all the angry people decrying aspartame.

Otherwise drinking sparkling water is fine for regular hydrating.
    Last edited by PizDoff; 11/22/2004 11:36pm at .

$1.50

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: golf club jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo Piz, looks like you covered the spectrum pretty well. Good stuff.

Here is what my routine looks like though I'm probably not as regimented on foot selection:

I eat breakfast everyday and usually 5 to 6 meals a day. I do fruits, protein shakes, or nuts between meals. I love sushi, the mercury is bad but I prefer raw fish over cooked and will have sushi about once a week sometimes two. I do consume quite a bit of prosciutto weekly, usually at night when I get 1/2 hour of news or imported drama before bedtime.

Getting a good amount of sleep is extremely important and will become ever apparent as you get older.

Every other day I take a dose of alfalfa pills in the morning for antitoxic. I take glucosamine in small dose twice a day, slightly below the recommended level. Daily after workout I take glutamine and liquid kre-akalyn (pure creatine). I also starting taking liquid IGF-1 growth hormone recently. There are potential side effects with growth hormone, so please do your studies first***

I stay from sugar and had always been like that, luckily for me I don't have a sweet tooth. I eat pasta and rice but no more than a small bowl size, and I usually will have them only once a day. No caffeine and minimal amount of alcohol, usually a sake or two during weekends.

I'm happy with the results. After 8 months of MA training and the diet as described, I went from 145lbs (5'7") at 32inches waist to 160lbs at 30inches waist. I also have a lot more energy.

I like to note that during the first week of getting into the workout and diet regiment, I was on natural high all week. It was like a continuous adrenaline rush.
    Last edited by zenbert; 10/04/2004 2:38pm at .
    zenbert
    Hold me... :3some:

I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 12:45pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Zenbert, sounds like you have a pretty good liftstyle.

Don't you take glutamine in smaller amounts? Why not a whey/creatine shake after WO like I do?

Edit: ok host removed pic, shall I post it again?
    Last edited by PizDoff; 10/04/2004 11:01pm at .
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast