223783 Bullies, 3585 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 12:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hand gets numb while rolling

I had this problem two days in a row now.
    After I gripped hard for a while with my left hand it gets numb and I can't close it any more. When this happens I have to rise it over my head and slightly cut the blood supply to the arm for a little because apparently the numbness is caused by a blood rush to the arm. Is there any way to prevent this or will this go away when my hand gets used to the extensive training? Any suggestions?
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 1:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mein freund, speaking from experience/NOT as a doctor, you're maxing-out your grip to the point where your tendons/ligaments are fatigued. They start swelling and this is why holding your hand above your heart relieves the pressure: less blood pressure=less pressure@wrist.

Actually, this can get worse so be very careful ok? Ice/cold is good because you maintain blood flow but decrease the swellling. Train your grip strength with pullups, rope climbing/rope-pullups, squeezy-ball things, even try jerking off alot like Lebell ;)

You're right handed, yes?

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 2:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I am right handed, my arms are almost equally strong though. I never had this problem before and I am usually a "grip beast". (I use a grip ball almost all the time to cope with my nervous habit)
    It is not the wrist causing the problem, it is the area next to the elbow (the muscles) filling up with blood. (I just thought about it and it happens when I work on chokes from the back mount or other stuff where the back flow of the blood is sort of blocked for a while, this might be the problem, I will check it, but maybe you are right too and it is both)

And yes I am careful, I take breaks when this happens, there is no use of getting injured at the first couple of days. Train hard but smart. :icon_lol:

I hope this gets better in a few days.

Thanks for the tip with the cooling, I might bring some ice pack or something to the training.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, it hurts@the elbow because that's where the extensor muscles for your hand inserts. I figured it would be your non-dominant hand because we're less coordinated there and its easier to injure in that way.

One issue may be that from back-mount you're too isolated, meaning the rest of your body is employed controlling your opp. so your hand is "on its own" so to speak.

Think of a barbell curl where you only use your wrist, you'll get the same sensation. Whereas a one-handed snatch recruits almost your whole body.

Try switching the choke left to right and see if your hands help you figure out what you're doing wrong.

Its not a bloodflow issue, that hardly changes (unless you put on a tourniquet) its the effort isolated to your extensors.

Another thought, don't use your thumb&forefinger, grip with the last three fingers, that muscle group is far stronger even though the pinky&ring fingers are weak. There are no incidences of Carpal Tunnel injuries to the last three fingers/anterior side of the arm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:28am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure a grip ball would make you a "grip beast."

If you're serious about grip training then you're better off levering, bending, performing exercises with a thick bar, FWs, CoC etc.

Might want to up your water/electrolyte uptake... I'm not really sure what you are describing, it could just be muscle fatigue or cramp.

If the problem persists then maybe a see a doc, it could be a nerve problem I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:42am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    doesn't this sound kind of like the symptoms of tendonitis? Or am I totally off-base?

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, you are teh correct, tendinitis/carpal-tunnel. F4 must be careful about it.

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 12:03pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hopefully not tendonosis either:

http://www.tendinosis.org/
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dude, you want to avoid any form of tendonitis @ the wrist or elbow like the freaking plage dude. That is one annoying **** to deal with. Ice is your friend.

4F should also look into working his hand extensors by using a bunch or rubber bands, going to 2-3 sets of 20 reps every other day

... followed by daily wrist stretches.

YouTube - Wrist Stretching Exercises

... better yet, dude, check the grip training threads in the sticky thread.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris