Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2004 8:05pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the context of that response, explain how protocols such as Tabata/GXP/HIIT are creating the results that they are.

And try to not blur the lines of skill versus fitness again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2004 8:35pm

Style: Bjj/kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found intervals to be much more productive for endurance than any long distance running. I believe that harder is better, more is not!

In training with Frank Trigg, he said that he rarely does any additional endurance training outside of actual fighting (which includes grappling and striking training). Combat sports are interval training by nature. He also said that any time he does do any additional endurance training, he does intervals. You've never seen this guy gas.
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 4:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, some of us don't have sparring partners that are paid to train with us eight hours a day like Frank Trigg. We have to supplement our martial arts training with a some cardio that we can do on our own. I believe wrestling, kickboxing, and MMA sparring are among the best workout a man can get but that isn't available every single day to people who work for a living.

Also, specialization breeds weakness, you can have endurance for wrestling but gas out when you try to run a lap. I think being a well-rounded athlete is just as important as having endurance on the mat when it comes to self-defense or law enforcement or whatever. You may need to chase the guy down or climb a fence. Didn't you watch SWAT growing up? :P

Anyway, I've been focussed more on fitness than skill this summer because I'm trying to get my girlish figure back. *blush* The best stuff for losing weight seems to be time spent on my bike, distance running and basic calesthenics. I don't do Tae-bo or "aerobics", per se, but I do V-ups and stick crunches and hill climbers and what have you. I also add bag work, kick paces and combo drills into my cardio here and there so I have more time for sparring and serious curriculum during my martial arts training. I don't want to waist class time doing drills that I could do by myself.

The most intense training I do, to develop power, is as follows: I do sprints once a week, laps on a hurdle course now and then, and I just started doing 2 minute rounds on a jump rope (which is a lot more work than you might think). Out of all that, I think the sets of 50 yard dashes, 25 yard dashes and so on .. and the jump rope are the most valuable.

I lift weights once a week. I mostly do rows and presses, pull-ups and dips and what have you for arms and core training. I hate curls but I like hammer curls. I work in one or two leg exercises here and there but my legs get enough work doing sprints and cardio for the most part.

I figured out that my home gym leg press is worth something if I do the leg press one leg at a time. I've started working in one or two of the bigger leg exercises I can do at home, like hack squats, dumbbell squats and deadlifts but not every week. I doubt I'll ever do real squats, even though people say that's the only way to get huge. I am only 5'11 and 185-190#. I don't need legs that swish when I walk. I want to be well-proportioned and limber, not the hulk. No offense to huge guys, do your thing. There are linemen and there are linebackers, half-backs and wide recievers. Everyone has their personal goals.

I've been making a lot of progress this year and having a lot of fun. My martial arts training is twice a week which is fine for now. When I get cash I am joining this JKD/BJJ dojo downtown but I'm still strapped. *sigh* Things are coming together though. Anyway, um ... I wrote a lot. I'm going to stop now. Heh. Sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're saying that you need hours and hours of exercise to get any kind of conditioning? You need less than you think...

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 2:34am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KFR - You're not giving us anything new. STop pretending to be some guru.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You assume I'm not?

Unemployed

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do.

8=====D~~
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 1:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KentckyFriedRat
    You assume I'm not?
    Yep right under your name it says "Registered User" not "Fitness Guru". So, STFU :bduh:

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 10:32pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, this link tells you that WALKING is bad for your health...
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 4:31am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where does it say that?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast