Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DeLahoya: liver KO

Did anybody see Oscar DeLehoya get KO'd by a liver punch the other night?

It was kind of cool to see a KO that wasn't to the head in boxing. The guy was on Jay Leno saying he had trained a lot in body punching because most fighters neglect that anymore and it's not something people expect.

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punch to the nose = Bloody nose, not much else
    Broken ribs = coughing up blood and hurts evertime you breath, for what seems like forever.

Anyone who things bodyshots are useless, should stop punching the stomach of condtioned athletes.

Kickboxing Coach

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 9:53am

Style: Jujitsu/Kickboxing/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw the fight. It was a good punch but Hopkins didnít seam to get full power, as his arm was a little straight for a good hook.
    God those shots hurt. I have been on the receiving end and the giving end. Itís not that it takes your wind the pain is unreal and your legs go kind of numb. You really want to get up but you just canít make it.
    I love a body KO. I have always told my fighters that Iím really not impressed with a head KO. If you want to show what youíve got, hurt the guys body so bad he goes to his knees and canít or wonít get up. The guy can always say on a head KO that you got a lucky shot in and they want a rematch. When you beat their body like that most of the time they never want to get in the ring with you again.

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's how Arturo Gatti won his last fight too. Then there's all those times I've seen CroCop kick people in the liver and they just sort of crumple up and die.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 10:27am

Style: hokka lu gee

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what you're saying, but I don't think there's such a thing as a lucky shot. If the guy makes a mistake and leaves himself open for a head shot, that's his error.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disciple: has landed a lucky shot before.. :D

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is a 'liver shot' exactly? Someone should set up a 'key body shot' diagram or something so I can see where to aim on the heavybag until I can find a training partner.

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    That's how Arturo Gatti won his last fight too. Then there's all those times I've seen CroCop kick people in the liver and they just sort of crumple up and die.
    I was talking to a guy who was in Gatti's corner for that fight and there was a fair amount of discussion about body shots leading up to the fight. Buddy McGirt didn't think Dorin had ever faced someone who delivered HARD body shots and they wanted Gatti to test him. This guy said you could hear the whoosh of air (and fight) leaving Dorin when Gatti connected. They instantly knew - before the 10 count - the fight was over.

Body shots work. Even against pros.

Kickboxing Coach

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 12:51pm

Style: Jujitsu/Kickboxing/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Traditional Tom
    Where is a 'liver shot' exactly? Someone should set up a 'key body shot' diagram or something so I can see where to aim on the heavybag until I can find a training partner.
    The liver is on the right side of the body under the ďfloatingĒ rib. You can shock it with a punch to the lower outer right side as it happened to Delahoya. The best shot is on the lower front right side of the body in a kind of upward direction. Like an uppercut. I worked with a fighter that was a south paw that would set up and throw a left uppercut to the liver that would just kill you. If fact he is the only one I have personally seen to have hit someone there and have the guy go down and pass out from the pain
    Last edited by oldshadow; 9/24/2004 4:35pm at .

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That.
    Is.
    Awesome.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast