232763 Bullies, 3621 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: How much can you bench in relation to your body weight?

Voters
349. You may not vote on this poll
  • <half

15 4.30%
  • half to all body weight

118 33.81%
  • body weight to bodyweight X 1.5

160 45.85%
  • body weight X 1.5 to 2 x Bodyweight

48 13.75%
  • 2 x Bodyweight to 2.5 x Body weight

5 1.43%
  • >2.5 X body weight

3 0.86%
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He should be getting enough Glutamine in his diet. It's present in every type of meat, present in many legumes and many dairy products aswell. It's also a non essential amino acid that the body can produce on it's own. A post workout meal of protein and carbohydrates should replace any Glutamine that was lost during the exercise he's participating it. Don't overcook your and their shouldn't be a problem. Spinach, Cabbage etc also have high amounts of Glutamine. Glutamine is essential for tissue recovery, immune system function, GABA function and loads of other things. I suggest Glutamine if you think your diet is lacking in functional foods as I mentioned, you've had surgery or you're constantly under stress. I do take Glutamine as I lift for 2-4 hours five days a week, along with the other training I do. Once he starts getting into it, Glutamine would be a good investment. This is important, the powdered Glutamine has to stay dry or it will turn into ammonia. Bad stuff as we all know. Also in many protein supplements there is generally at least 5-10g of Glutamine added into it.

Kre-Alkalyn is tons better than Creatine, and it's cheaper, more effective, has no potential side effects from Creatinine. There's no loading phase, and it stays stable within the stomach acids. With a 10g does of Creatine you end up using about 1g of it or so. Kre-Alkalyn also doesn't require any cycling off, doesn't taste like tires since it's a purple pill you just take down.

1rm's aren't an everyday, or weekly workout. If you want to build strength, you have to lift heavy. Lifting heavy stimulates hypertrophy which causes the CNS to recruit more fibers to increase your strength during specific activites. If someone is focused on gaining power, the 1rm's need to be tested once about every 5-6 weeks, depending on progress. This goes for the core lifts, can't really 1rm with db's or things of that nature. BP, Squat, careful on the deadlifts. Leg Press, Squat Press, etc. The 1rm can help you determine your subsequent workouts. Depending on your goals, you have to know what percentage of your 1rm to make progress and keep track of what you're doing.

The carbohydrates are VERY important. Without those, as I've said he'll force his body into a glycemic shock. This is why swing dieters never actually keep the weight off and end up generally gaining a few pounds after they start consuming mass quantities of food to gain their energy back. If someone wants to lose weight, they have to reconfigure their diet completely, cut back on fats, and on the calories. For starters someone should try a 250 cal decrease for 1-2 weeks, then they can up that that bit by bit to help them lose weight This is the best way to ween yourself off of the high cal diet many overweight people have. I'm definitely not saying load up on carbohydrates, but it has to be balanced. Atkins diets are complete and utter horse ****. There's no holy grail of instant weightloss and super Arnold physique. It takes time and a lot of work.

Iso's, well why bother? Why not use a group of muscles and get the core strength stronger? I could do the bench press on the smith machine, but I'd be neglecting my stabilizers and tendons involved in the bench press. Iso's to me are more of a body building thing than a power lifters thing. It just comes down to what a person wants. :walk:
    Last edited by Equipoise; 1/07/2005 12:46am at .

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 12:41am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long would it take to increase my bench press by 50% (55lbs), assuming a 2x a week lifting schedule? And what setxrep method would get me there?

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 1:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on when you started lifting. If you just started, you'll increase your lifts quite a bit. If you've been doing it for a while, then it's alot slower. 50% is alot. That'd put me at like 315 for a comparison. Do specific muscle groups once a week. If you lift twice a week and want to up your bench, focus on one day being your triceps and chest. The 2nd day being your shoulders and forearms/Wrist. Increased wrist strength will make a HUGE difference as to stabilizing the weight and getting past that half way point.

If your bp max is 110 now, and you want to get it up to around 165, I'd say 3-4 months of hard work.

Assuming you have a base strength set up and you've learned proper form, etc.

3x5 at 80%+ Take a gander at my training journal for the stuff I do. It's alot easier to read that then to type it all out here. You need a spotter. I can't stress this enough. Have a spotter. They can push you through those last reps when you can't get the weight up. They also prevent you from destroying yourself. There's a little bit of a debate about strength gaining between Ken and I regarding the volume of exercises that we do. I think he does fewer sets and focuses specifically upon core lifting (correct me if I'm wrong Ken.) I think what I do currently is okay with my usual 5-7 exercises for Chest/Tri/Shoulder/FA. I just have to monitor the amount of calories I'm taking in so I don't end up in a negative or stable nitrogen balance(In English, I need to eat alot so I don't end up losing mass or staying at the weight I am currently). Gotta keep growing!

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 1:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have base strength from martial arts, but I haven't maintained any serious lifting regiment in the last year.

I have the time now.

Thanks for the advice. I have a guy in mind for spotting.

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 1:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Base strength in MA /= Base strength in weight training. Different movements, different CNS responses.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm More Soy Evilness!

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like someone else google'd "Soy Thyroid".

Dude, I heard enough of it in my training journal. Tempeh and miso it is, but **** natto in its fermented ass.

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 1:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually googled "Soy Dr. Weil." :-D The extra soy link was for the other people on the thread I was was telling about the poision death known as soy.

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 1:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And as you can see at the bottom of that link, Dr. Weil has cautions regarding soy.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reading a little from that website where the book is from (http://www.wholesoystory.com) it looks mostly like they're talk about processed soy. If you're a person like me who makes his own soy products from soybeans, I don't see how it can be as harmful. I've had some good results with it, but then, just my $0.02 ;)

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate you people. I weight 145lbs and I usually do 2 sets of 5 reps of 95lbs at the max (not the entire workout though). I can probably lift more, but I don't have a spotter, so I want to be on the safe side.

PL
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast