228237 Bullies, 4288 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: How much can you bench in relation to your body weight?

Voters
349. You may not vote on this poll
  • <half

15 4.30%
  • half to all body weight

118 33.81%
  • body weight to bodyweight X 1.5

160 45.85%
  • body weight X 1.5 to 2 x Bodyweight

48 13.75%
  • 2 x Bodyweight to 2.5 x Body weight

5 1.43%
  • >2.5 X body weight

3 0.86%
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2004 10:56am

Style: MT, BJJ, VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note - I am 6'1 195, not 5'5 195... in which case, repping 245 would not be as good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2004 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    Also, how much difference do protein bars/shakes make to your strength? I've never taken any supplement, so I don't know if they're worth it.
    Protein is what fuels muscle growth. If you are serious about adding muscle mass. Start an intensive weight training schedule with shorter sets (think 10, 8, 6 and 4 reps) and more weight. Take at least 1x your body weight in protein if not more. Start out lower and then start increasing.

Mix the protein with supplements such as Glutamine, L-Arginine (Nitric Oxide support) and take all your vitamins + minerals. A few cycles of creatine while starting out will definatley help you out. Make sure you consume healthy amounts of water.

Stallowned!

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 4:54am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    210-215@170-175

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now my usual benching routine is 290x5 at 5'9", 180lbs. I use the Apollon's Axle from Ironmind.com with a shitload of duct tape on it to make it about 2 1/2" thick, so it's a lot tougher than the norm. With a regular bar, it's about 340. I mostly do it on a power rack unless I'm working out with a friend, then I'll usually do floor presses instead if they can handle the weight.

Nowadays, however, I'm more into kettlebell lifting.
    Last edited by VikingPower; 1/27/2005 5:01pm at .

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matsu, hold off on the No2 and the protein bars for a while. The same goes with the Glutamine. If you take vitamins, you shouldn't need supplementary Glutamine. If your joints hurt under pressure, then I'd suggest working on those specific joints to get the tendons stronger. I used to have the same problem with my left wrist and left shoulder. If you're starting a weight training program, then start off with 3x10 with a medium to medium light weight. You're going to need to build some minimal strength first and get your body used to the specific movements that'll you'll eventually be doing to increase your strength. once you achieve your base strength, after about five weeks, then start your heavier lifting at about 70-85% of your 1rm, 4x5. Work mainly on freeweights and avoid the machines.
    As for your protein intake, I'd suggest 1.2-1.5x your bodyweight in protein intake. However you're going to need a higher caloric intake aswell, depending on your weight. Try to keep the the carbohydrates and calories higher than your protein intake. Otherwise you'll end up feeling like snot all day. You'll be tired, sluggish, you can develop kidney stones like I did, and of course Ketosis. Water is also quite important, don't overload on it, You shouldn't have to piss like a race horse every hour. We do get alot of water from the food we consume. Avoid Soy at al costs. PM about supplements if you want info, I've done almost all of them. Wait to take them until you're about 2-3 months in, so you're dedicated to your program and you can make the most of the products enhancements. NO2 is great, but it will do nothing for you if you're just starting.

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 3:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AkiraMusashi again.

Sound advice, AM, though I'm not fond of supplements myself. Only thing I disagree on is why no soy? A chunk of my diet is eating tofu, which at first takes like **** then as you go on, still tastes like **** but it's not bad if mixed with other things.

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soy decreases your testosterone levels. It throws off the thyroid and create hypothyroidism. This entails weight gain, lethargy, depression, etc. Also if a woman is ingesting soy while she's pregnant it can create hypospadias in male infants. The hole at the tip of the penis can be anywhere from under the shaft to right above the testicles. People really overestimate the amount of soy that Asian people eat. They eat very very little of it, but it is present in their diet. The American trend of eating tofu, soy this, soy that is just a product of Soy being cheap, a plant derivitive and general false marketing. Soy also inhibits young boys from maturing and has shown to give them feminine features due to the phyto-estrogens in soy. This is why those Silk commercials only show women and young girls drinking it.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459516

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting.....never heard anything like that. I make my own because it tastes less like crap than store bought, but I never heard it was bad. Thanks AM.

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 4:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Akira --Supplementary Glutamine? Multi-vitamins do not contain even a fraction of the dosage of Glutamine that one would have to take in order for it to count in the least?

As for the water, I recommended it because of the Creatine. Also, I do not believe in 1rm's... they are a good way to get injured. Carbo's... he should only load up on if he needs to gain weight. Soy does kinda suck. Resistance machines for iso's are good, free-weights rock of course. good point on developing some strength first. I am/was assuming that matsu has some lifting experience.
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast