225327 Bullies, 4093 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: How much can you bench in relation to your body weight?

Voters
349. You may not vote on this poll
  • <half

15 4.30%
  • half to all body weight

118 33.81%
  • body weight to bodyweight X 1.5

160 45.85%
  • body weight X 1.5 to 2 x Bodyweight

48 13.75%
  • 2 x Bodyweight to 2.5 x Body weight

5 1.43%
  • >2.5 X body weight

3 0.86%
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/17/2007 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509
    Damn, I don't know whether or not I should be impressed by the 1RM:BW ratio or if I should be horrified that you are a scrawny little fucker.
    Or you can be like me and believe about 5% of what I read in this thread.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we need new powerlifting thread, you need video or post is deleted. Might be good to give credibility to posters in here.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll show you! I'll use helium balloon weights!

I'm pretty sure credibility can be found by people knowing what the **** they're talking about, regardless of numbers in all honesty. I know kids that can bench a shitload (poorly) and don't know squat about lifting, and kids that are still growing but know a ton of stuff.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 1:52am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Been curious about this myself. I'm an ubernoob to lifting... What's the difference (benefit-wise) between dumbbells, bar, and a chest press machine?
    Some people like dumbells for a press because you can lower them down further, i.e. no bar to hit your chest.
    An added benefit is that with dumbells you have to exert more control and focus since they aren't fixed to each other in a plane, like the bar is. In other words, with the bar you mainly have to worry about it moving forwards or backwards (assuming you can lift it), with dumbells they can move in any direction.
    Now, with a chest press machine the weight can't wiggle or move at all, so you don't have to work to stabilize it. People are pretty down on nautilus type machines these days for this reason. When you can max out on the limited weight stack on the machine, you'll still be nowhere near lifting that amount on with a bar.
    I use a bar, mainly because I can't stand the mount and dismount with heavy dumbells.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 11:56am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I only do incline dumbells. I used to sit back with 110's on flat bench and listen to my back pop...until common sense eventually reared it's ugly head. With inclines, you can kick up with your knee.

It is possible to use heavy dumbells on flat bench either with a worthwhile spotter or the little handles that fit on a barbell - put the dumbell on the handle, lay down, then pick them off the rack. Since neither of those two options work for me, I just do inclines.

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509
    That's why I only do incline dumbells. I used to sit back with 110's on flat bench and listen to my back pop...until common sense eventually reared it's ugly head. With inclines, you can kick up with your knee.

It is possible to use heavy dumbells on flat bench either with a worthwhile spotter or the little handles that fit on a barbell - put the dumbell on the handle, lay down, then pick them off the rack. Since neither of those two options work for me, I just do inclines.
    Honestly, I'd probably still manage to kill myself.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are the other relative benefits/losses to only doing benching with dumbbells? It is all I ever use because I often work out alone. I know I must be missing something by not benching with a bar..
    I know a bit about pumping iron, but not much. I know this much though, I don't like machines (except for cables).
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    What are the other relative benefits/losses to only doing benching with dumbbells? It is all I ever use because I often work out alone. I know I must be missing something by not benching with a bar..
    I know a bit about pumping iron, but not much. I know this much though, I don't like machines (except for cables).
    Dumbbell presses allow for a greater range of motion. Depending on who you read, range of motion isn't crucial for people focused on bodybuilding, but I'd think using the one with a greater range could be better for athletes. It's more realistic, basically.
    Also, I can't remember the source right now, so it will have to remain apocryphal but I remember reading that using the dumbbells puts less stress on your shoulders.

Some people are starting to de-emphasize bench pressing as the be-all end-all that it is for so many. I love it, I think it's important, but in American culture young guys especially can get obsessed with it. Pavel talks about how you'll notice the body of the athlete in classical art doesn't have humongous pecs, and you can see this trend down through Michelangelo's David. This is a ancient greek statue of a wrestler: http://www.wrestlingsbest.com/gifs/xgreekolympia2.jpg

This is strongman Thomas Inch, famous for his 172 pound, four inch thick handle dumbbells. At age 68 he could deadlift 540 pounds (he also invented barbell + plates system) http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/Galler...Inch-Young.JPG
    Not the biggest pecs.
    This is Edward Aston: http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/Gallery/EdwardAston.JPG

So, like with everything else, train for what your specific goal is, and don't get obsessed or sucked into the mindset of some of the loosers out there you'll run into in a gym. Every day in the gym I see these guys with bloated pecs, biceps and delts and legs that would make an anorexic marathon runner look like Ronnie Coleman.:sad3:
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627