Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 9:00am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you like the BJJ classes? and do you get to see the MT classes?
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The BJJ classes are good, all different skill levels and everyone's pretty laid back. The instructors are all really cool. Lots of guys train for tournaments and there are also a lot of beginners who join up every month, so you can train a good variety of people.

I haven't gotten around to any of the MT classes but they seem to be pretty popular. I think there are some hardcore guys who train there who fight in matches but I'm not sure.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to really join the gym :P I'll probably check it out.

I work though till 6:30 and I am abuot 20 to 25 minutes from coppell so I am wondering if the classes will be makeable for me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a Muay Thai boxing school in Coppell I was trying to go to which I am guessing is the one you are talking about.

I've been e-mailing them asking about it but no response.

Also the Guy Metzger one does sound good and all, but you can't train MMA until you have had experience in some grapplings and kickboxing for atleast a year in both and its pretty expensive :P So ;P I'd rather just go to a muay thai shcool or BJJ school for now.

Do you have the address's or numbers for those and the costs? I am really eager to start up Muay Thai.

If your talking about George's Muay Thai gym? He teaches at Mohler's place. He told me it was $85.00 a month and $250.00 for the equipment.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 9:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    250 for the equipment? Wow thats pretty steep :(

Well I guess not to bad if it was compared to Kendo's equipment but still 250? I thought all he said you needed was bag gloves, hand wraps, and thats basically it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I have a hard time making the classes sometimes (they start at 6:30 on weekdays). That's the one thing I would change, maybe make the classes start at 8:00 instead. The Vale Tudo classes (which are no Gi, sometimes with gloves) start at 8pm on Tues/Thurs. I actually haven't been to one yet but I'm going to try to go tomorrow, I've heard they're cool.

The main guy who runs the Muay Thai at Mohler's is named George Prevalesky like Travis X said. It looks like that may be a separate program from the BJJ or maybe you can sign up for both, I have no idea.

Let me know if you guys sign up, I'll be out of town the next 2 weeks but I've been going to class a bunch the past month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 10:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I talked to the Muay Thai instructor on Saturday, he said the equipment needed for the first class is gloves,hand wraps,mouth piece, etc cost about 125.00. Plus the other stuff you need later on for the class everything comes to the total of 250.00.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gosh, I'm so distrot between BJJ which I would really love to do and MT which I would also really love to do.

MT becuase I love to strike and have always been a huge fan but BJJ because I've wanted to learn chokes and ground work :(

I am most likely going to sign up for the BJJ class are they're any special like condition you have to be in?

I am not in very good shape :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The classes are 90 minutes and it's a pretty good workout. I was in pretty bad shape when I started and I had lost like 15# after about 3 months without dieting. I would just work on cardio a little but there's really nothing you have to do. If you never wrestled or did grappling before, they usually ease you into the sparring/grappling over the first 2 months so you don't get hurt, so that will give you a chance to improve your endurance. But there's really no way to prepare, you'll end up using muscles you've never used and be sore as **** the first few months.

Carbon, you definitely should check out the Tues/Thurs Vale Tudo classes, I think they incorporate striking with the grappling so it might give you a good taste of both.

Good luck!

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/29/2003 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just went tonight, which is Wednesday. Were you there?

I talked to Alan and signed up for BJJ and he talked to me for awhile, I think I might go to the competition at Winston Highschool in Dallas at 11:00 pm saturday.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast