Whats TTT mean?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 10:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like anty says above, one thing that has saved me so far with heavier people is having paid greater attention to detail when learning technique. I've seen a lot of big guys who can get by learning the technique "okay" then making up for any missing parts with muscle, weight and force. (I've also seen a lot of big guys who pay special attention to technique, and then they just eat everyone alive.)

If I tried to do this, I'd just gas in a minute since I don't have the muscle and weight to force anything on bigger guys. I have to rely on other attributes like speed, flexibility, and endurance, and most of all, making sure I do the right technique the right way at the right time.

With regards to BJJ and grappling bigger guys, my success has come from being evasive, always moving and avoiding their weight. I never want to be stuck under their weight, even if I'm playing from the guard.

It's the most basics of basics, but the hip escape (aka shrimping) and good hip movement is what has really saved me when I'm on the bottom with heavier guys. At white belt level, a lot of heavier guys don't know how to use their weight properly, and it's rather easy to scoot out from under it and dump the weight to the side. They often don't realize that they aren't really pinning you like they think they are.

Here's a specific example to illustrate my point:

A 225 lbs. white belt gets me in side mount. At first, he has his chest and weight centered on mine, and he feels like he weighs a ton. Flat on my back under him, I have no mobility and probably a hard time breathing if he really lays it on. I never want to be flat on your back ever, especially under sidemount. I escape my hip away from him, turning on my side more and pushing him to the side with my elbows, dumping most of his weight off me. He doesn't think to regain his position, so he now leaves me with a lot more breathing room and space to work my legs, such as returning to guard.

With regards to ronin's question, I imagine that the lighter fellows learn to fight bigger guys through necessity, so weight disadvantages lose a lot of their importance. But A moose man might never have to train against anyone bigger than himself, until some fateful day when someone even bigger than him shows up and he's unfamiliar with what to do when he's the one with the disadvantage.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 9/23/2004 10:52am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 12:56pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Traditional Tom
    Whats TTT mean?
    It's the dumb version of "bump".

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 2:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :p

***ned

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight and strength are just two attributes out of many. Sensitivity, timing, speed, flexibility, etc. all play a part in your game. You'll never hear me say "Oh, he only got me because he has flexible legs" because that's a bullshit answer. If anyone says, "You only got me because you're big" I say "If you were any good, you would've found a way around it."

***ned

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just sick of big guy's having to adopt an apologetic attitude in regards to their size, weight, and/or strength.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To an extent. Strength and size both allow for more compensation of poor technique than would, say, flexible legs though.

***ned

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 6:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question is this, so what?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing more than the realization that my technique sucks more than it probably would if I were smaller and weaker.

***ned

Posted On:
    9/23/2004 7:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dochter,

You should be at a level where you're able to tell when you're muscling something that wouldn't work otherwise.

You play the game that best suits you. If you're big and strong, you should play the big and strong game because you know that you can pull some things off that other people can't. Making someone feel bad because they use what they have is ridiculous to me.

Personally, I can't hit the triangle. It's pretty much physically impossible for me to put someone in a triangle unless they are a lot smaller than I am. Am I supposed to feel bad about it? No. I just approach things a different way. And on the reverse side of the coin, I'm not going to make someone feel bad about being able to hit a triangle.

The truth of the matter is that I think many people have inferiority issues especially when they learn that even if they have a certain level of skill, someone who's bigger, stronger, and less skilled can still beat them. It's just one of those hard pills to swallow. Just like the fact that even if you train your ass off, if that purple belt keeps training along side you, you'll probably never be able to reach his level, because as you're getting better, so is he.

It takes skill to use your size correctly.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast