Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris,

He still may want to stick with body weight exercises because of joint issues, though that may neccesitate more repetitions.

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 8:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FingerorMoon,

Bolverk is correct, however I would disagree that structural support failure (most of the time) is a result of muscular ability to far exceeding structural ability. While this does happen it is usually a result of strength gains made to quickly (read : steroids or other supplements). While this does happen naturally it is usually less of a factor. Some people just have bad joints.

Here in California they say the joints are pretty damn good though.

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 9:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, sorry if my first post caused confusion.
    typed 'lifting lift weights' instead of 'lifting light weights'
    Or did people actually interpret my gibberish correctly? Have corrected it.

Dochter - I agree with you that the only way a muscle can be far bigger/stronger than its ligaments is through drug/supplements but when under heavy load, even small differences can cause injuries.

The ligaments may be slightly weaker for a variety of reasons - prior injury, genetics, etc.

Edited by - fingerormoon? on January 16 2003 20:47:49
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    1/17/2003 3:15pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CrimsonTiger, not all bodybuilders are juiceheads. They're common in the NPC & IFBB, but there are those of us who choose to do it the right way.

Dochter! You're on to me! LOL! Yes, I was describing an endurance workout. Most of it was based on the book "Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts." It's pretty good. Maybe it would answer a lot of the members' questions. Just my $.02.

"Strike first! Strike hard! No mercy, sir!"

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/17/2003 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bodybuilding is nonetheless rather akin to masturbation, the pay off sucks compared to the alternatives.

You have decreased strength in proportion to the amount of work required and your generally dehydrated or otherwise injuring your body.

As said lifting for muscular endurance seems to me to be, for the most part, a lot of wasted effort for the lack of efficiency. Lift to get stronger or maintain your strength, train otherwise for endurance.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan, I realize there are nonjuicers as well...I used to train with some MONSTERS who never touched the stuff.

But my point is that a vast majority of people who are into working their physique to that level aren't all that educated in how bad their technique may be in a general-use sense. They are specialized in looking good, building symmetry, nothing more.

Why do you think all the ripped guys suck in this Strongman competitions? It's always the football-build guys (and not always the biggest ones!) that prove the strongest.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"I would never, in my life, wear black silk underwear" -Classic JCVD
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 7:54pm

Style: escrima, wc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's some time ago that i've had this in school but if i remember correctly there are three types of strength to build:

- isotonic strength, the strength you need when you're holding weight at the same level, for example when you stand in horse stance
    - fast strength (? i only know the term in german: 'schnellkraft'), uses the 'fast' type of muscle mass
    - the strength you need to lift heavy weights but when the muscles work more slowly

i would say the second type of muscle use is the most important to a fighter. however i don't really know what i'm talking about :) i'd love to be corrected. what's the appropriate training for not slowing your muscles down?

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/19/2003 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Silentdog,

Your close!:
    1) Isometric strength
    2) Fast twitch muscle fibres
    3) Slow twich muscle fibres
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/20/2003 11:31am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I have to say is lifting can give you so many benefits. I mean come on you'll look great, you'll add strength.

Being a natural lifter and taking it slow at first if your injuried is the way to go, I mean doing pushups is great and all but increasing muscle stamina can easily be reproduced by doing bag work.

To increase strength and size then work with free weights, there is no substitution trust me your not going to get huge no one gets huge unless they go on bulking cycles and its mostly fat.

Thats why the strongest man in the world have alittle bit of fat.

Bodybuilding doesn't damage your body, yes on the cutting cycle before a competition they are at very low BF%'s that isn't great for them but its only for 1 day :P

Also body builders work every part of your body, and you can't "shape" your muscles by doing an excercise a certain way, everyone's arms and chests look different based on genetics and height/weight.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/20/2003 2:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't get huge working with free weights.

huh...that's an interesting assertion. You're probably not working out very hard (or maybe not correctly) or not eating enough protein to support growth then.

Otherwise I'd agree with what you said, with the addendum that body builders do work every part of the body, but not necessarily in a manner designed for maximal strength, instead its designed to maximize size and definition.

The cutting cycle could have other health drawbacks, the severe dehydration could cause kidney problems due to the amount of nitrogen such an individual would have to process and probably some others.

Personally I just think bodybuilding (not weight lifting) is a waste of time, but thatís just my bias.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast