Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ROTFLMAO...
    Why does this always happen when people are reading MY posts? Maybe that's Kungfoolss' problem as well. FatalityDragon, I don't think that's dyslexia, I think it comes from reading this forum too often...

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 10:58pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LMAO.... That could be the reason.

"I would rather to admit I am a lousy student instead of saying I am the best student because once you thinks you are the best, you see no reason to continue learning"
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 1:48pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a total body workout 3 times a week. Use light weight, 3 sets of 12-15 reps. On ab exercises, do 15-25 reps per set.

"Strike first! Strike hard! No mercy, sir!"

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you already are actively training martial arts you probably aren't in need of too much of an increase in your muscular endurance (what DanDavis's suggestion would give you) so whatever schedule you work out your best route for increasing strength (not necessarily looks) is higher weight at lower repetitions.

If you have a lot of joint problems body weight exercises are probably the way to go though. It also will require less time and less equipment.

By the way Dan Davis has claimed to be an ex-Body Builder so take his advice with that grain of salt (aesthetics? vs. strength).

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dochter's right about the body-builder advice (if there are any here)...I've lost track of the number of knobs I've had to correct at my dojo in because some bodybuilder juicehead at the local gym told them to squat as much as they can handle all the way down until their heels touch their ass. OUCH! (Yes, it works "full" range of motion, but c'mon guys! You'll have no knees!)

Personally, I used to be big into the weights in general. I still do a bit for my vanity, but most of my exercises focus on my back and legs for power and snap/speed. I also use whatever I can to mix up my training and keep me interested. Sometimes I feel like throwing around hunks of metal, other days I do my plyometrics, other days I may simply do over-emphasized, slow kata or basic techniques/stances. The thing is, you have to do SOMETHING rather than give up and say "I'll make it up tomorrow."

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"I would never, in my life, wear black silk underwear" -Classic JCVD
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 6:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People should read Bolverk's post again.
    It tells you everything you need to know and corrects many misconceptions.

Your muscles get stronger and/or bigger by putting them under stress. Lifting light weights doesn't cause either.

Lifting light weights can build endurance but if this is your goal you should aim for extremely high reps of (eg) 100+, or another technique is do as many as possible with good form for (eg) 3 minutes.

For martial artists not concerned with the asthetic bodybuilder look, its best to stick to compound exercises such as dip, squat, standing press, deadlift, stiff legged deadlift.

Edited by - fingerormoon? on January 16 2003 20:36:20

Edited by - fingerormoon? on January 16 2003 20:37:12
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow!

"If attacked fight, and fight to kill"

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 7:23pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too tough for you, Jamoke? huh

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 8:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Err.. I never said don't lift weights, I do several times a week. However, there is a strong (teehee) difference between bodybuilders and weightlifters.

Bodybuilders often (not always) lift at lower weights with higher reps. IF you are looking to build strength, flat out, then it is much more effecient to lift heavier weights at lower reps.

When people dispute this with "new" fad fitness programs and start talking about different lifting methods providing better results in short amounts of times, think McLifting. You're never going to be able to lift/press/whatever something extremely heavy a few times, even if you can lift a much lighter thing a bizillion times.

As an example if you train for benchpressing and only work with 185 or 205 pounds, even with several sets with say 20 reps, you're not going to be able to hit 405, or even probably 365.

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

Edited by - Dochter on January 16 2003 19:26:13

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 8:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference between lifters and body builders can be exemplified if looked at strictly from working your chest. Bodybuilders will often focus on doing flies and doing lots of them. This is a good thing in a way as they offer some of the fastest growth of pecotral muscle. They additionally work the muscle fibers in a way that results in very squared growth (due to the direction in which exertion is being made). These are all very good things from an aesthetic perspective.

Those looking to build pectoral strength will often work primarily presses (think bench press pushups etc.). These exercises will cause the pectorals to grow and get stronger, however the two aren't always directly correlated so bodybuilders will often have bigger muscles with less strength.

Of course these two regimes are working different motions however its the same muscle group and both groups do both exercises so you can compare strength between them. Most (honest) body builders will tell you that what they do is completely different than strength training or power lifting.

Don't get me wrong bodybuilders are exceptionally strong (steroid use might be a component, nahh who would do that). However the comparable mass on someone training for strength would do a lot more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast