Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 2:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of weight training do you find enhances your martial skills? What do you stay away from? Do you go heavy on your leg work to help ground and strengthen your stances? Do you use heavy weights and few reps or light weights and high reps? For upper body, do you do primarily bag work, pushups, dips? I read you need to be careful not to add to much bulk that could be restrictive. Your thoughts?

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 2:37pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well from my experince, I would says do A LOT of free weight work out (push up, sit up, pull up, etc...) and cardio work out. Those two are proably the best thing for you. However if you REALLY want to do weight training then only do VERY light weight and high reps and stretch a lot. For my legs, I simply go for a run in mountain, rock climbing, and swimming. For my arms, I rock climb and swim in river. That is pretty much what I do and my body is not over musclar but slender and buffy. However I am not strongest one around but I am fast and have high endurance level.

"I would rather to admit I am a lousy student instead of saying I am the best student because once you thinks you are the best, you see no reason to continue learning"
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 2:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dead Lizard - Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines. My problem is I am old. 48. Feeling it more and more everyday.

Reading FD cause cancer

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I am so old" That is SO PATHETIC! There are some 90 years old man out there who still can run a marathon and practice martial arts and rip people apart. Such as Massaki Hatasumi, Stephen Hayes, Jin Kim Pal, Toddy, and other people. So get off your rocking chair and go get some fresh air.

"I would rather to admit I am a lousy student instead of saying I am the best student because once you thinks you are the best, you see no reason to continue learning"
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FatalityDragon,
    That was pathetic. You don't have any idea what it is to age. Some people are lucky enough to avoid persistent injury, but I'll bet Justme has more than a few knee, shoulder and maybe back problems related to his time in the infantry. Some may have the luxury of husbanding their bodies carefully in support of their sport or their leisure time, but tell me how you think you'd feel after five years of jumping out of airplanes, humping a 100lb ruck, or carrying a rifle at the ready for months at a time (sounds easy, right?).

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 3:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "That is SO PATHETIC" - Yeh, I know. Two kids, job and wife keep getting in the way of my training. I should adjust my values! How dare I put them before pushups! Heading out the door for a walk...no I mean run.

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 3:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel - Thanks. No jumping out of airplanes though. Rapelled out of helicopters, fell off of a deucin half, humped a 60.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body-weight calistenics. I find body-weight calistenics are better than weight-training for MA. There's less stress on the joints than weights, but admittedly fewer pretty results. Add in cardio and stretching. If you want all three, then I find any kind of wrestling is great for all the above as well as developing technique.

The other critical aspect I think is conditioning. This includes cardio, but I'm also thinking impact training. It's nice to have a lightning-quick, incredibly-accurate haymaker that comes out of nowhere; but if the first time to throw it at someone, you also manage to break your knuckles on his chin, then it's not going to help you too much. I just practice hitting stuff with whatever part of my body I expect to use as a bludgeon in the near future. Heavy bags, dummies, trees, puppies, etc... .

8t88

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hah, I was all legs too, but I tried hard for Air Assault. I never fell off of a deuce, but I did have to jump onto a driverless 5 ton rolling down a hill into rice paddy. 60? Must have been nice. Actually only maybe 1 or 2 guys on my squad had to hump 100.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Reading FD cause cancer

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok then you could have explained me your situtation and let me know. How about run a mile every morning before going to work? How about take your family to hike or something one time every week or two? How about do something like that?

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast