RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peedee,

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately I'm not aware of many freestyle/contact/whatever competitions in my area of Canada. Ontario seems to have basically shut down "violent" MAs. Thinking about coming south of the border for some fights once I get my game tighter. My conditioning is still crap. But I KNOW my ground game is pretty good, simply because it's (relatively) unique. Although I've been told I'll get ripped apart by Sambo guys. LOL!

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 4:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Shin to thigh round kick
    2. Figure four armlock from any control position
    3. Armbar from side mount
    4. Armbar from Guard
    5. Head Butt
    6. Diag down elbow
    7. Knee from clinch
    8. Eye Flick
    9. Guillotine choke
    10. Rear Naked Choke

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 4:24pm

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In no particular order, techniques I like and use successfully:

1) beng chuan--a straight punch with your bodyweight behind it. What's not to like?

2) juji gatame--from many positions, it's easily my best technique

3) guillotine from the guard (not such a great standing technique), it's just plain instinctive

4) yoko tani otoshi--side valley drop. The kuzushi is pretty simple, people don't usually expect it, and the gi is irrelevant.

5) single lapel choke (I don't remember the Japanese name). Basically, your arm goes around the neck to grab their opposite lapel. It's primary downside: it needs something to anchor your grip on.

6) Cat washing blocks/strikes from Xingyi's mixed beating form. They're basically a downward knife hand, but Xingyi's body mechanics makes them (IMO) much more useful than the way a knife is usually taught.

7) Shoulder stroke. It's usually a surprise to whomever it hits. You're in close and you smash your shoulder into their chest.

Techniques I wanna be successful with someday:

1) any of the varieties of hip throw
    2) rear naked choke (I dunno why, but I have trouble with the arm positioning)
    3) piquan--a matter of pride since it's the centerpiece of xingyi
    4) knee bar, ankle lock, and heel hook. As others have noted, they're usually a nasty surprise to your compadre.
    5) Uki Otoshi--it's just looks sweet and it gives me a damn difficult goal to attain.
    6) Osoto Gari--easy to use against people who've never seen it. *Really* hard to use against someone experienced.

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crimeson, I'm not the person to ask, but there are others on here that could possible give u information to improve. I would just say do MMA/cross train in sport fighting systems, that' sjust my opnion though.

The guillotine is a really good standing technqiue! Infact I think most people in MMA events catch ppl in this choke when they're standing.

some nice emoves their fragbot.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever want to come south theres a GREAT freestlye tournament 2x per year in New Jersey. You wear pads and there is no contact to the head allowed. All strikes are to the legs and body, icluding low kicks, knees, punches, and grappling/submissions. There is one 3 minute round and a 2 mintue overtime if noone is clearly winning. You can also strike the body while grappling.

Its a really good tournament and if you've never fought freestlye thats a great tournament to check out. Its not pro or anything and its alot of fun.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Striking techniques:

1.)Elbow slash to the face
    2.)Clinch knee strike to face or groin
    3.)Side Kick to knee
    4.)Low roundhouse to thigh

Control and takedowns:

1.)finger locks - make someone your bitch
    2.)knee drop on side of the neck on the ground (pinning move and can potentially break neck bone in extreme situation)
    3.)slip to a blind side executing a palm slap to the eyes to take away his vision then tilt the head backward and dump his head down on the floor hard - work almost every time (often follow up with a knee drop to the side of the neck)

Submission holds:
    1.)Sleeper hold (stand-up or ground)
    2.)armbar from guard
    3.)This one is a technique I thought up based on a famous Japanese submission wrestling move slightly modified, I call it: STS - "Single ToeHold Sleeper" (done when opponent is faced down on the floor, apply a single leg toehold and fall flat on his back and apply a sleeper hold on his neck, crushing his calf muscles while putting him to sleep at the same time).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joint locks.

It doesn't matter from what position, for what purpose, or on which joints - they all good. Punching, kicking, or throwing the crap out of someone is good for the ego. But nothing feels as good as tossing out a seemingly effortless joint lock, and then watching those deer-in-the-headlight-eyes as the other person flails around impotently.

Plus you can safely (kind of) use them on anyone: friends, enemies, girlfriends, etc.. .

8t88

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 12:07am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8t88: Girlfriends...mmm...*memories of the one kickboxer ex-gf who used to LOVE when I taught her jujutsu the hard way*shiver*

Ok...back to business...Peedee, when/where is this tournament? Sounds like a great start. Any chance there's a website?

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 1:05am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Backfist (for sentimental reasons).
    Jab/Cross.
    Stomp kick.
    Anything in trapping range.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sweep followed by hand strikes+grab back of head following strike and pull face into knee

spinning back hand/elbow-good response to charger. Saw a kempo dude nail a Kyokushin champion with this. He still lost, but this technique really surprised his opponent.

low right roundhouse kick to forward left leg followed by high left, not nec. too high, just to above center of gravity-could use a sweep instead of low r.h., but for me the balance and hip movement comes off with more power from consecutive opposite leg round houses. (dumped sensei with this one and he told me that week to get ready for bb test)

Side kick, mule kick rather than chambered, to the face amd spinning back, spinning side, spinning hook, spinning heel, spinning crescent-i think you get the idea-set up by strike, hand or foot, depending on...., i'm a grey beard and sometimes get to score on youngsters (atleast once) cause they assume the old man can't kick high-ha ha! Hardlly anyone attacks with side kick to the face, but thrown mule (lifting in a slide move) most people respond blocking too low or too weak to stop it.

The "technique" that i really have followed is to work out hard and dilligently and learn to some how automatically respond with out thought in self defense situations. To be in the "zone" with out effort-Jeff Hornacheck, the great three point shooter when asked how it felt when he got into the shooting groove, said it all got quiet and everyone else seemed to move in slow motion-this is by the way i know trad karate works because it has worked for me and the good news was no one got hurt much, no maiming or death.

Oh, to be honest, groin kicks, from front snap to reverse outward roundhouse to inward upward crescent to reach from behind heel hook, so many are so open-i guess so many systems tend to not score or practice much to groin, Kajukenbo did, though in sparring those that went too often low were called "nut hunters."

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast