I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/08/2002 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Nature Documentary

The vast difference between the post-modern virtual concept of the big cat and the real
    thing was made obvious to television cameras at The Royal Melbourne Zoo, when a car
    company arranged as part of a publicity event to place a new model car in the lion enclosure.

However a collision between our hyper-real concept and the actuality of the lion occurred
    as the lions began to tear at the car, removing the bumper bar and puncturing the thin metal
    body of the car with their diamond sharp teeth. The image of a heavily damaged car complete
    with the feline perpetrators left us asking, “If that is what those creatures can do a car, then
    what damage could be done to the human anatomy?”

This was not the first time there had been such an impact between the hyper-real big cat
    and the reality of life in this lion enclosure. Several years ago a young man scaled the walls
    of the enclosure in an attempt to confront the lions in unarmed combat. The individual
    believed that he was a Ninja warrior, a member of the Japanese order of assassins which has
    taken on iconic standing in popular culture. The Ninja is an ancient emblem of the detached
    individual, operating on the dark periphery of society, and has gained a cultural resonance
    with some young detached individuals in the West. Here were two hyper-real concepts, the
    symbolism of the Ninja and the mighty lion synthesised in a tragic accident, which ended with
    the death of a marginalised and disturbed young man.

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists and the Dominate Prevailing Force in the martial arts political arena

http://forums.delphiforums.com/testing12345703/start
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 12:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A ghost story:

I did a lot of shadow-fighting as a kid, I use that term because it involved wrestling as well as strikes and kicks so it wasn't just shadow-boxing.
    Anyway, you know..

I'd go in short bursts and stop sometimes to examine the choreography and my position, options, etc. Other times it was slow choreography so I could concentrate on learning position and technique. I used tall tomato cages for markers and targets.

Sometimes, I would go at it with imaginary attackers at full-speed out in my back yard in broad daylight. My neighbors saw me do it. :P

Anyway, one day I had been out in the field behind my house doing this for a few hours. My Dad came out to tell me to come in for dinner. I was in high school, I think. Anyway, he asked me who I had been practicing with - he said he saw me fighting with people and wanted to know who they were. I told him I had been alone the whole time but he insisted that I wasn't.

Anyway, I decided never to really make a conclusion about what he saw. There are a lot of unexplained things out there so who knows what he saw. Many times while training I felt like I wasn't alone out there. In fact, I had names for my imaginary opponants. I even had them listed along with my real friends as members of a sparring club we had.

Anyway, I am not trying to sound like I am saying I was trained by demons. I sparred with my friends constantly during those years - not just shadows. Please don't think I am crazy now.

I am just saying, the line between reality and imagination can get blurry sometimes. Also, just because someone is nuts - that doesn't mean they can't fight. :P

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 12:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kungfoolss

(M/Sunny Hawaii) 12/30/01 4:32 pm

The following commentary is another stellar example of martial arts stupidity and amateurish
    ignorance -

Those of you with good memories will recall me mentioning previously a martial arts
    demonstration captured on video, played on national TV and how I used this as a perfect
    illustration of the moronism found in the stylistic arts. The incident involved two idiot
    martial artists playing with real swords, no doubt emulating the scenes from the movie
    Highlander, and after one stylist deflected an incoming strike from his training partner, he
    sliced off his own toes as he completed his weapons arc. Pure stupidity, nothing out of the
    ordinary or anything I haven't come to expect from the stylistic arts. Little had I known that
    this would not be the last time I would be witness to futher martial arts idiocy.

So, there I was yesterday surfing the cable networks as most loyal Americans should, when
    I happened to stumble upon a broadcast by the same individuals that brought us the
    aforementioned footage of martial arts excellence. In this instance they had titled this program
    appropriately, "Born to Lose." It was agglomeration of the most stupid people on the planet
    getting hurt for doing things incredibly dangerous and stupid, not to mention unwise. The
    potential Darwin Award recipients ranged from para-sailing by way of pickup trucks, to rigging
    a hand-glider to a stunt motorcycle to jump semi-trucks, but you know this program would
    never be complete if the producers were to exclude some of the more dumber members of the
    homo sapiens species, the martial artist.

Now before going into what occurred at this martial arts exhibition, let us freeze this
    moment in time. Picture if you will, an assistant martial arts instructor willingly on his back
    with a cucumber lying across his throat as the Iaido "MASTER" with sword in hand, posed
    in an overhead downward strike ready to cut the cucumber leaving his assistants throat
    unscathed. (Chuckling) Here is the 20 million dollar question my friends, what do you think
    happens? Take your time, ponder the consequences and would could POTENTIALLY
    occur should the masters strike penetrate too deeply.

Okay, if you guessed that the so-called stylistic "master" cut his assistants throat causing
    blood to start gushing everywhere, you were RIGHT! That is exactly what happened. First
    scene showed the PROWESS of the "master" as he successfully cleaved a cucumber on his
    idiot followers stomach leaving the skin intact, then in the next scene, the stupid assistant
    instructor places the cucumber on his own throat showing complete, however misguided
    faith in his "master." As his masters sword came down in arc and swiftly retracted, he
    successfully cleaved the cucumber as before, unfortunately for his assisant, he also cleaved
    his students throat. (Laughing) Blood immediately started spilling everywhere. The laido
    "master" looked dumbfounded as his student tried to staunch the blood flow and while he
    was carted off by stretcher to the nearest hospital.

The shows narrator actually made the comment to the effect, "Who here is the bigger loser,
    the assistant being carried off by stretcher to the hospital or the so-called master?"
    (Shaking head in mirth)

First of all gang, you never use a real weapon in practice, remember learn from the stupidity
    of martial artists, let's not let their sacrifice be in vain. (Smiling) Second, if you're the type of
    person that loves to show off as many stylistic amateurs have, you're going to get hurt or
    injure others in your charge. Don't do it, otherwise you deserve everything that happens to you.

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists and the Dominate Prevailing Force in the martial arts political arena

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 1:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kungfoolss

(M/Sunny Hawaii) 1/30/02 3:39 pm

The following is a detailed report that directly coincides with the previous commentary,

Man Cut, Hospitalized at Parker's Internationals

Long Beach, CA., Jose Pacheco won the men's amateur sparring grand championship, but
    the real showstopper - literally - was a demonstration gone awry that nearly cost a performer
    his life.

Keith Carlson was attempting to use a sword to slice a zucchini resting on the neck of his student,
    Daniel Stark, but instead cut both the vegetable and Starks's neck during the demonstration.
    Carlson, a San Carlos, California-based martial arts instructor, had just minutes earlier safely cut
    a zucchini on Starks bare stomach.

Medical personnel rushed to the stage to tend to Stark, who was bleeding profusely from the
    neck. According to the tournament physician, Dr. Joe Verna, Stark never lost consciousness
    and his vital signs were stable throughout the ordeal. "We were able to stop the bleeding right
    there on the stage," Verna said.

Stark, 31, was taken by ambulance to nearby St. Mary's Hospital and was held overnight for
    observation. Stark claimed that he thought the zucchini was slipping from his neck and
    therefore was raising up to adjust it when Carlson brought the sword down. "[Stark] had a
    small laceration midline on his neck, which was not very big and not very deep, but it did sever
    a vein," Verna said. "The emergency room doctor said the wound was potentially dangerous,
    [but Stark] lost less than a pint of blood." According to Sheri Parker-Kongaika, the tournament's
    associate producer, Carlson did not perform the demonstrations which had been approved by
    the event organizers.

"The normal process for demonstrations is that people submit a video of what they will do
    on stage," she said. "we met with one of Carlson's students, who showed us a video. We
    told him we didn't want anything potentially dangerous. The [zucchini] cutting on the video
    we viewed was only [performed over a students] stomach. We told [Carlson] we wanted no
    sword on stage."

Parker-Kongaika, daughter of the late American Kenpo grandmaster Ed Parker, added
    "[Carlson] was cooperative with us, but when he got on stage, he obviously had a different
    agenda." Parker-Kongaika praised Verna and his staff for their quick response to the situation.
    "The medical staff was excellent, " she said, "They knew what they were doing and how to
    handle a crisis situation. I don't think anyone else could have done a better job."

Stark, who required no stitches, SAID HE WOULD GLADLY PERFORM THE STUNT AGAIN.
    "It was very unfortunate that it happened." he said. "What we do is real, and I guess we proved
    that."

KFss - That last statement by Stark should be rephrased in light of what transpired -

Stark - "What we do is real STUPID, and I guess we proved that."

KFss - Idiot martial artists, such as Stark, I suppose, need to actually have their heads cut off
    before they learn a lesson in common sense. So not only did both the master and student
    DECEIVE the event organizers in effect LYING to them, they went ahead and placed each
    other at risk while at the same time no doubt traumatizing the participates watching the
    asinine exhibition. Well gee, where's all this garbage stylists always use to justify their
    positions of, respect, discipline and TRUTH?!?!

Additionally, I find it strange that many people give me a lot of flak for debunking the crap
    coming out of martial arts these days. How very odd.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/11/2002 3:52am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7 year old spoiled black belt

Dcourtenayt (39/M) 2/21/02 10:13 pm

Just looker over at the Elite Dragon Forum where they are discussing what to do with a
    7-year-old TKD blackbelt who is overconfident and doesnt want to train like he is told.
    Many of the members agree a 7-year-old shouldnt hold this status, but the parent says
    he shows the maturity of a 12-year-old. This situation is just pitiful.

I guess he could take on any Tae Bo practitioner.

Re: 7 year old spoiled black belt

Kungfoolss (M/Sunny Hawaii) 2/21/02 10:36 pm

When I was an ignorant stylist way back, even then, I had thought it was silly for schools
    to pass out belts as if they were gold stars on tests. I distinctly remember my friend that
    was a green belt in tkd (his kicks I will admit at the time were impressive and flashy) used to
    scoff and tell me of a much younger and smaller boy in his class that was blue belt, and
    when it came time for the sparring part of their class, the higher ranked boy refused to even
    participate in the activity.

On the other side of the coin, my former sparring partner an aikido/shotokan stylist, told
    me of an incident where an elderly aikido gentlemen who probably couldn't fight his way
    off a merry-go-round, was awarded a black belt because of his "spirit" and not because of
    his ability.

In both these cases, I see several faults, but to put it plainly, in my view this only serves
    to cheapen the rank and erode the strength of the style. If you don't get promoted because
    you didn't deserve it, you probably shouldn't get it. You'll most likely lose many students
    because of a lack of progress they see in themselves while attending your school. Which
    is another reason I have a distaste for the stylistic arts. The instructor has bills and rent
    he's got to pay to maintain the school, so it's practically suicide if an instructor were to
    adopt the requirements I advocate. It's simply not feasible.

Additionally, this is the reason kids are promoted to such ridiculous ranks in the first place,
    one, satisfy that narcissistic attitude all children have and two, to give them the "impression"
    of accomplishment. But clearly, if an 18 year-old white belt were to spar the preteen black belt,
    who would you place your bets on I wonder...

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/11/2002 3:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Superfoot supports Kungfoolss contention

Kungfoolss (M/Sunny Hawaii) 2/24/02 5:55 pm

Talk about fortune dear SCFF members, I was researching the martial arts (as I am given to
    perform as a daily ritual, some people pray to fictitious deities, I do this) and happened upon
    an article and commentary made by Bill Wallace in 1994 which supports a recent post made
    by Kungfoolss in 2002! Talk about a stylist of vision, a rare commodity in the ailing
    phenomena of martial arts these days. As a matter of fact, there are many articles of Bill
    Wallaces that actually support many positions of the SCFF which I will bring to you in the
    future. But let's stop talking about it and see how this stylists open-mindedness dares to
    affirm Kungfoolss accurate perspective on black belts some 8 years later -

Living the Black Belt Lie - by Bill Wallace (October 1994)

I believe the way the belt-ranking system is now, they should just disregard it entirely.
    When I first started training in karate, there were only four belts --- white, green, brown
    and black. Now there are so many different colors, because everyone wants to prove
    they're better than the next guy by having a different belt. Some people justify it by
    saying that it helps motivate kids, but I think it all just comes down to ego.

It has gotten to the point now where, if a student trains for two weeks longer than someone
    else, he wants to prove his superiority by having a different color belt. A black belt used to
    mean you were the best; now it doesn't mean anything. I've been in the martial arts for 30
    years, and according to my instructor, I'm a third-degree black belt. But rank is not important
    to me because I don't have a school. Still, I don't understand why there are people younger
    than me walking around wearing the red-and-white striped belts of a master, or better yet,
    a guy who is an eighth-, ninth-, or tenth-degree black belt who is supposedly a grandmaster,
    yet has less experience in the martial arts than me.

I think we've just glorified the ranking system to the point where, when someone gets a
    black belt, he automatically thinks he's learned everything. That's just not true.

One thing that really upsets me more than anything else is that you have these
    prepubescent kids who are first-, second- or third-degree black belts, but don't understand
    the application of the techniques they're performing. They may be able to do them well,
    but they have no idea why they are doing them.

I'm sure money has something to do with the decline in the belt-ranking system. If I had
    a karate school, my job would to be to keep students in that school. Now let's say you
    are 8 years old and have been practicing karate for three years. If I don't let you test for
    a black belt because I don't think you're ready, you will just quit and go somewhere else.
    I see this happening all the time. The kids want to be glorified and think they're tough.
    And I guess wearing that black belt gives them confidence they're lacking.

Personally, I can do just as well without a belt on as with one. But for some people, a
    belt is the first thing they have to put on. Why? To prove themselves? When I'm
    working out, I don't wear a belt. I can go into a karate school with a pair of sweatpants
    on and work out, and I bet you everybody there is going to know I'm a black belt just
    by the way I perform. I have never had to prove to anyone that I was a black belt.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 4:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bayonne woman loses left eye in bizarre stunt

10/29/01

By Steven Kalcanides
    Journal staff writer

An apparent stunt gone terribly wrong cost a Bayonne woman her left eye when she was
    hit with an arrow shot by a martial arts student. The woman, identified by sources as Aarti
    Rishi, a 20-year-old first-degree black belt in karate, is still recovering from the summertime
    accident that took place at Central Dojo on Broadway near 14th Street.

Rishi was in charge of the school in the absence of owner Sensei Chris Cherchio, according
    to police reports, and the stunt involved her trying to catch the arrow shot at her in midair;
    it deflected off her arm into her eye. Sources said she and the student attempted to remove
    the arrow themselves. H. Mickey McCabe, director of emergency medical services for
    McCabe Ambulance, said emergency medical technicians responded to the school Aug. 25.

"Initially, we had not been advised it had been an arrow. We had been advised it was a kick,"
    said McCabe, who added that once EMTs discovered what had truly happened, there was
    little they could do for the woman because the eye was out of its socket. "What I'm reading
    here is that the arrow went in the eye and then the arrow was pulled out. The arrow was not
    in the eye when we got there." McCabe said Rishi was conscious and alert when she was
    rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center. JCMC spokeswoman Lynn McFarlane could not
    release any information on the woman or what she was treated for when brought in.

Cherchio said had he been there, he never would have allowed such a stunt at his school.
    "That's not the kind of school we run," he said recently. He said he has been unable to
    reach the woman in recent days, and she could not be reached by a reporter checking into
    her condition. Bayonne Police Director Mark Smith said last week that officers responded to
    the scene the day of the accident, took photos and secured the bow and arrow as evidence.
    No charges have been filed, either against the school or the boy who fired the arrow, he said.

"He (the student) was basically following the instructions of his tutor," Smith said. "She was
    the instructor for this kid, telling him what to do. The state Consumer Affairs Office in Newark
    had no record of any complaints brought against the school, according to spokesman Ron George.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 9:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EXCELLENT articles, Kungfoolss! I wish that I had read this thread earlier. :)

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/16/2002 1:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking a Bite out of karate...

Ending a case that titilated Paris, French Foreign Legion veteran Stig Hoffner, now bouncer
    for a Danish nightclub, was fined $5,300 on June 8 and given a two-year suspended jail term
    for setting an attack-trained pit bull on karate teacher Raymond Gros last May, after finding
    Gros in bed with his girlfriend. The dog tore off Gros' right cheek.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/16/2002 1:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trained in martial arts, female anti-terrorist fighters ready to protect Pakistan's passenger jets

(Karachi, Pakistan-AP, Aug. 2, 2002 2:19 PM) _ An elite force of karate-kicking anti-terrorist fighters will begin riding on domestic Pakistani passenger jets this month. The new sky marshals are gaining attention in Pakistan's conservative Islamic society not only for their skills but because they include nine women. The first women sky marshals completed a 10-week course last month in hand-to-hand combat so grueling that some of their 49 male classmates dropped out. Only one woman failed to finish because she broke her wrist.

The women say they're ready to keep Pakistan safe from terrorist attacks. But they also see themselves as making inroads in a society where women are widely seen as separate-and inferior-to men. "Passing this tough training proves that Pakistani women have the potential to show their skills in all fields that are considered the domain of men," said one female graduate, Asma Khan, 22.

Part of the national airport police, Pakistan's first batch of sky marshals-all male-were sent into duty following the 1981 hijacking of a Pakistan International Airlines jet. Those first sky marshals were armed and eventually had to be taken off commercial jets after other countries protested. However, after the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States and fears that Pakistan would become a new terrorist battleground the sky marshals were revived, this time unarmed.

The first recruits finished a martial arts course taught by Pakistani army instructors July 22 and will begin flying in mid-August. Initially, they will be limited to domestic flights, but if the program is successful, officials say the sky marshals may start flying internationally as well. The instructors said Khan and the other women were held to the same rigorous standards as men during the training, which included martial arts skills developed in Japan and Korea.

"Our men and women who have been trained in unarmed combat will be able to deal with any terrorist in the air or on the ground," Sattar said.
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast