223818 Bullies, 4220 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 21
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. ThatNewGuy is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 12:09am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu JItsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Am I Going to a Mcdojo?

    I am new to M.M.A. etc. just barely getting into jiu jitsu, Got recommended to a school in colorado (im from New Mexico), Heard that the instructor was a fighter in the U.F.C., Unparalleled Ground Work, "Unbeatable Philly Shell Defense", Was a Master of Filipino Striking, Ceritified Jeet Kune do, Produces and Runs Steel City Rumble (mma Competition) etc...The guys were really recommended him, so i decided to check him out. His school was inside a World Gym, i quietly lifted weights and stretched in attempt to observe what their class was like (My buddy told me id be blown away). Anyway, they were covering boxing then jiu jitsu, dont know much about boxing but the jiu jitsu seemed weird. The instructor (Gabe Charboneau) began to teach but i didnt understand what he was trying to get across. He seemed to only focus on position with very minimal submissions training, and the students looked frustrated (many making jokes as he walked by). He kept stressing what it takes to be a champion. Another instructor he had there was midget short and full of steam. anyway i looked him up : http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/8C...be-Charboneau/ and found his record for fights etc. Then looked up his instructors (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/C3.../Haven-Torres/ etc. He seems to be in a head position for promotions and fight teams so im confused on what to do. his you tube as strange stuff too.

    (http://www.youtube.com/user/haumana2000#p/u

    I cant find any evidence of his claims or Lineage. Is this guy for real or is this a Mcdojo. My Bud said this was the place to ask.
  2. Necroyunus is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    908

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:17am


     Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNewGuy View Post
    I am new to M.M.A. etc. just barely getting into jiu jitsu, Got recommended to a school in colorado (im from New Mexico), Heard that the instructor was a fighter in the U.F.C., Unparalleled Ground Work, "Unbeatable Philly Shell Defense", Was a Master of Filipino Striking, Ceritified Jeet Kune do, Produces and Runs Steel City Rumble (mma Competition) etc...The guys were really recommended him, so i decided to check him out. His school was inside a World Gym, i quietly lifted weights and stretched in attempt to observe what their class was like (My buddy told me id be blown away). Anyway, they were covering boxing then jiu jitsu, dont know much about boxing but the jiu jitsu seemed weird. The instructor (Gabe Charboneau) began to teach but i didnt understand what he was trying to get across. He seemed to only focus on position with very minimal submissions training, and the students looked frustrated (many making jokes as he walked by). He kept stressing what it takes to be a champion. Another instructor he had there was midget short and full of steam. anyway i looked him up : http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/8C...be-Charboneau/ and found his record for fights etc. Then looked up his instructors (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/C3.../Haven-Torres/ etc. He seems to be in a head position for promotions and fight teams so im confused on what to do. his you tube as strange stuff too.

    (http://www.youtube.com/user/haumana2000#p/u

    I cant find any evidence of his claims or Lineage. Is this guy for real or is this a Mcdojo. My Bud said this was the place to ask.
    First of all, noob, you should go and introduce yourself in newbietown: Newbietown - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

    As for the claims:

    1) well, as far as i know, its mostly position before submission in jiujitsu.
    And if its mma, hell i think its even more important.

    2) the students were frustrated and they made jokes? well i also often get frustrated,bored even sleepy and i make jokes. But its mostly because i m a dick and the instructor is a very nice brazilian guy and not someone that wants us to worship him or something.

    3) He doesnt seem like an ufc fighter though. Does he make this claim himself?


    Also, what is your jiujitsu experience and knowledge level? Because you can easily say some moves are "weird".
  3. ThatNewGuy is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:50am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu JItsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have absolutely no experience in Jiu Jitsu, just started looking at vid and books by royler gracie and machado, just getting into it, looking to learn, and i want to learn from a credible guy. He does claim that he was a ufc fighter and trained many world champions, but everyone says that, however he seems to be legit in promoting his Steel City Rumble. He has a huge following, but i dont wana be another burger in the mcdojo. As for position, i understand your logic that position sets up submission (first thing book taught me) so ill definetely keep that in mind..
  4. bigstu31s is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    478

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 7:03am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNewGuy View Post
    I have absolutely no experience in Jiu Jitsu, just started looking at vid and books by royler gracie and machado, just getting into it, looking to learn, and i want to learn from a credible guy. He does claim that he was a ufc fighter and trained many world champions, but everyone says that, however he seems to be legit in promoting his Steel City Rumble. He has a huge following, but i dont wana be another burger in the mcdojo. As for position, i understand your logic that position sets up submission (first thing book taught me) so ill definetely keep that in mind..
    According to that link you provided he hasn't fought in the UFC but maybe when he said he was a UFC fighter he meant MMA fighter as some people dont know what MMA stands for.
    His MMA record and his instrcutors MMA record isnt the best though is it with 0 wins and 7 defeats:ninjadanc
  5. ThatNewGuy is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 1:57pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu JItsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found out he was knocked out in 1994 in the first qualifying matches for u.f.c. 1...Thats how he backs his claims up....
    i know im new to this but i thought this vid was kinda funny
    YouTube - team pueblo mma
  6. Necroyunus is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    908

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:00pm


     Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNewGuy View Post
    Found out he was knocked out in 1994 in the first qualifying matches for u.f.c. 1...Thats how he backs his claims up....
    i know im new to this but i thought this vid was kinda funny
    YouTube - team pueblo mma
    Yeah, but you see, you told us he claims that he is a UFC fighter.

    Not that he fought in UFC.

    These two are not the same imho.


    P.S. Why dont you go to newbietown and introduce yourself by the way???????
  7. ThatNewGuy is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:02pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu JItsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should i be practicing this to prepare for striking in mma? What is the 52 Blocks?

    YouTube - ILL-a-Pino boxing flava
    Last edited by ThatNewGuy; 12/24/2010 2:09pm at .
  8. jspeedy is offline
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,626

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:53pm


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNewGuy View Post
    Should i be practicing this to prepare for striking in mma? What is the 52 Blocks?

    YouTube - ILL-a-Pino boxing flava
    You should be training MMA with a qualified instructor to prepare for striking in MMA, not watching youtube videos.

    Anything using the spelling "flava" pisses me off and most likely sucks.
  9. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,471

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 3:11pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    place doesn't look like a waste of time, but you might have "better" options around. I'd keep shopping with this place as a "maybe"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  10. chingythingy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,166

    Posted On:
    12/24/2010 3:19pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I'm reasonably close to your local area. Hit me up for advice on a PM or something as I know most of the players and options around.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.