Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 12:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu JItsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Am I Going to a Mcdojo?

I am new to M.M.A. etc. just barely getting into jiu jitsu, Got recommended to a school in colorado (im from New Mexico), Heard that the instructor was a fighter in the U.F.C., Unparalleled Ground Work, "Unbeatable Philly Shell Defense", Was a Master of Filipino Striking, Ceritified Jeet Kune do, Produces and Runs Steel City Rumble (mma Competition) etc...The guys were really recommended him, so i decided to check him out. His school was inside a World Gym, i quietly lifted weights and stretched in attempt to observe what their class was like (My buddy told me id be blown away). Anyway, they were covering boxing then jiu jitsu, dont know much about boxing but the jiu jitsu seemed weird. The instructor (Gabe Charboneau) began to teach but i didnt understand what he was trying to get across. He seemed to only focus on position with very minimal submissions training, and the students looked frustrated (many making jokes as he walked by). He kept stressing what it takes to be a champion. Another instructor he had there was midget short and full of steam. anyway i looked him up : http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/8C...be-Charboneau/ and found his record for fights etc. Then looked up his instructors (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/C3.../Haven-Torres/ etc. He seems to be in a head position for promotions and fight teams so im confused on what to do. his you tube as strange stuff too.

(http://www.youtube.com/user/haumana2000#p/u

I cant find any evidence of his claims or Lineage. Is this guy for real or is this a Mcdojo. My Bud said this was the place to ask.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:17am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNewGuy View Post
    I am new to M.M.A. etc. just barely getting into jiu jitsu, Got recommended to a school in colorado (im from New Mexico), Heard that the instructor was a fighter in the U.F.C., Unparalleled Ground Work, "Unbeatable Philly Shell Defense", Was a Master of Filipino Striking, Ceritified Jeet Kune do, Produces and Runs Steel City Rumble (mma Competition) etc...The guys were really recommended him, so i decided to check him out. His school was inside a World Gym, i quietly lifted weights and stretched in attempt to observe what their class was like (My buddy told me id be blown away). Anyway, they were covering boxing then jiu jitsu, dont know much about boxing but the jiu jitsu seemed weird. The instructor (Gabe Charboneau) began to teach but i didnt understand what he was trying to get across. He seemed to only focus on position with very minimal submissions training, and the students looked frustrated (many making jokes as he walked by). He kept stressing what it takes to be a champion. Another instructor he had there was midget short and full of steam. anyway i looked him up : http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/8C...be-Charboneau/ and found his record for fights etc. Then looked up his instructors (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/C3.../Haven-Torres/ etc. He seems to be in a head position for promotions and fight teams so im confused on what to do. his you tube as strange stuff too.

(http://www.youtube.com/user/haumana2000#p/u

I cant find any evidence of his claims or Lineage. Is this guy for real or is this a Mcdojo. My Bud said this was the place to ask.
    First of all, noob, you should go and introduce yourself in newbietown: Newbietown - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

As for the claims:

1) well, as far as i know, its mostly position before submission in jiujitsu.
    And if its mma, hell i think its even more important.

2) the students were frustrated and they made jokes? well i also often get frustrated,bored even sleepy and i make jokes. But its mostly because i m a dick and the instructor is a very nice brazilian guy and not someone that wants us to worship him or something.

3) He doesnt seem like an ufc fighter though. Does he make this claim himself?

Also, what is your jiujitsu experience and knowledge level? Because you can easily say some moves are "weird".

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have absolutely no experience in Jiu Jitsu, just started looking at vid and books by royler gracie and machado, just getting into it, looking to learn, and i want to learn from a credible guy. He does claim that he was a ufc fighter and trained many world champions, but everyone says that, however he seems to be legit in promoting his Steel City Rumble. He has a huge following, but i dont wana be another burger in the mcdojo. As for position, i understand your logic that position sets up submission (first thing book taught me) so ill definetely keep that in mind..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 7:03am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have absolutely no experience in Jiu Jitsu, just started looking at vid and books by royler gracie and machado, just getting into it, looking to learn, and i want to learn from a credible guy. He does claim that he was a ufc fighter and trained many world champions, but everyone says that, however he seems to be legit in promoting his Steel City Rumble. He has a huge following, but i dont wana be another burger in the mcdojo. As for position, i understand your logic that position sets up submission (first thing book taught me) so ill definetely keep that in mind..
    According to that link you provided he hasn't fought in the UFC but maybe when he said he was a UFC fighter he meant MMA fighter as some people dont know what MMA stands for.
    His MMA record and his instrcutors MMA record isnt the best though is it with 0 wins and 7 defeats:ninjadanc

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found out he was knocked out in 1994 in the first qualifying matches for u.f.c. 1...Thats how he backs his claims up....
    i know im new to this but i thought this vid was kinda funny
    YouTube - team pueblo mma

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:00pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found out he was knocked out in 1994 in the first qualifying matches for u.f.c. 1...Thats how he backs his claims up....
    i know im new to this but i thought this vid was kinda funny
    YouTube - team pueblo mma
    Yeah, but you see, you told us he claims that he is a UFC fighter.

Not that he fought in UFC.

These two are not the same imho.

P.S. Why dont you go to newbietown and introduce yourself by the way???????

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should i be practicing this to prepare for striking in mma? What is the 52 Blocks?

YouTube - ILL-a-Pino boxing flava
    Last edited by ThatNewGuy; 12/24/2010 2:09pm at .

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:53pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should i be practicing this to prepare for striking in mma? What is the 52 Blocks?

YouTube - ILL-a-Pino boxing flava
    You should be training MMA with a qualified instructor to prepare for striking in MMA, not watching youtube videos.

Anything using the spelling "flava" pisses me off and most likely sucks.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 3:11pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    place doesn't look like a waste of time, but you might have "better" options around. I'd keep shopping with this place as a "maybe"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 3:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I'm reasonably close to your local area. Hit me up for advice on a PM or something as I know most of the players and options around.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast