230800 Bullies, 4234 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Leglocks allowed at your school?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • All leglocks are taught and practiced at all belts.

50 47.17%
  • All leglocks are taught, but restricted to higher belts.

24 22.64%
  • Only straight leglocks are taught and practiced at all belts.

5 4.72%
  • Only straight leglocks are taught, but restricted to higher belts.

1 0.94%
  • Leglock are not taught.

9 8.49%
  • Additional leglocks allowed at different levels until all are allowed.

12 11.32%
  • I take SAMBO

5 4.72%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 11:35pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    :iamwithst :pottytrai

Your kung-fu is weak then. I took a crap this morning that looked like your kung-fu. Your kung-fu is so bad I'm going to start referring to it as the ATA of chinese martial arts.

That is all

bwahaahhaahhaha....

:eusa_doh:
    *shrug*

My kung fu's definitely pretty weak, since I've only been at it for a year. The kempo's worked most of the time I've had to use it (including, incidentally, applying one of those four leglocks).

When I have time open for it I'll probably add some submission grappling to what I 'm working on. But since I'm coming back from fairly serious illness, combat effectiveness is not the first priority in my training. I'm not about to ignore it, either, but i've found the kung fu has mixed well with the cardio/weight routine I'm up to, and in my 30s I'm loathe to work through an injury until I've got a better fitness base.

I'm a n00b here, but if you take the time to scan my posts you'll see that I'm not promoting any weaselly anti-grappling at all. You need grappling and full contact experience to be the most effective fighter and neither I nor my school disagrees with that.

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 1:53am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    :eusa_danc

Hello, my name is eyebeams and I have no sense of humor because my kung-fu doesn't allow it.
    I'm pretending to be above it all until my post count gets higher.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As dumb as those jokes were, I kinda laughed a little bit because I have never heard them.

MORE !

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    3/23/2005 11:03pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoogejitsu
    Every type of leg lock is allowed at our school; tap early and tap often is the motto. I find it amazing that some schools don't allow certain types of leg locks, safety concerns aside, you are being deprived of a huge part of your grappling game without them.
    Leg locks do not take a particularly long time to learn. As to why you shouldnt teach it to beginners, have you ever seen them attempt to do any type of footlock? Its a hazard waiting to happen its such a clusterfuck.

Once you're experienced enough with submissions, I believe you can easily move on to twisting footlocks and kneelocks because you've got the experience to know when to tap and to recognize when you're in a bad position.

If I armbar a beginner and pop his elbow because he was unaware he was caught in a submission, he'll be back at it in a couple of weeks. If I throw a heel hook on that same person, I could possibly cripple him for life, let alone put him out of the game for at least 6-7 months.

Elbow joints are not nearly as complex as knees are- knees are obviously much more crucial because they're weight bearing joints.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 12:19pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All leglocks taught and allowed.
    We're careful when it comes to heelhooks, and I wasn't taught it until I had a couple of months' experience, but we use them when we roll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678