Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 6:54am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by supercrap
    punching with your wrist, (ie hitting with the back)
    Ouch. What a fucking stupid thing to do.

The guy did a ten year stint in a temple to learn it, and by the end of it, could crush bricks between his thumb and forefinger.
    Bullshit.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 7:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by supercrap
    The guy did a ten year stint in a temple to learn it, and by the end of it, could crush bricks between his thumb and forefinger. Use that on somebody's throat and it's goodnight vienna.
    Uh.... WHAT?!

You do realise how plausible this sounds, right?

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 7:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by wingchunnewbie
    If he was using the upper part, that's more or less the forearm. I have seen people doing pushups on flexed wrists, but that was meant more for wristlocking, etc. I have no idea how effective/injury prone it made them.

But yeah, smacking people with the wrist itself has always been a dubious thing to me.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 10:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by wingchunnewbie
    On striking with the wrist. Other styles do this besides drunken. Mantis and monkey do it.

There is supposedly training to develop the wrist for this use, though I have not seen it.

Without proper training, striking with the wrist could leave you in lots of pain. This once again demonstrates that not all techniques in whatever styles are good for everybody.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 4:22pm

Style: Sub Wrestling/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.angelfire.com/retro/drunken

The history is simple. When a kung fu master would get drunk he would be a drunken master, there is drunken monkey drunken tiger and drunken boxing which is the imitation on a master drunk.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wondered why the hell they hit people with their wrists bent like some romo... It looks like it hurts, and sounds incredibly retarded.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 5:14pm

Style: Extreme Ukemi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't Geoff from the about.com martial arts board have an account on here? A good "what's the deal with Drunken Kung Fu" from someone like that would probably be helpful.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: goju-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by chaosexmachina
    I always wondered why the hell they hit people with their wrists bent like some romo... It looks like it hurts, and sounds incredibly retarded.
    Striking with the wrist is good in blocks and against soft tissue areas. Substituting the wrist for a fist or elbow is (in my opinion) moronic. As far as I am aware wrist strikes are fairly common in the training curriculum of most Japanese/Okinawan TMA, but most definitely the focus is in blocking with some pain (to the aggressor) associated with it and not at all a direct striking method.

Another reason that approach makes sense is because most all of the blocks in the above styles are more general and sweeping, not going for the unrealistic "and then you catch their fist/arm" but more towards you just redirected their strike and kept it from hitting an important area, where as I have mentioned before the conditioning is to make the opponent get some amount of pain just in your blocking as well, etc.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by sherekahn
    Striking with the wrist is good in blocks and against soft tissue areas. Substituting the wrist for a fist or elbow is (in my opinion) moronic.
    Wrist stikes can be a valuable tool in any fighter's skillset. Bending your hand (toward the palm) at the wrist leaves a solid bony mass available to deliver strikes in any direction, with little movement. Mainly used for infighting (from trapping range in), it can also be used as a clubbing weapon from further distances.

Yes, many (primarily) Okinawan styles use this strike to soft tissue areas. That was not the original intent, but can be reproduced safely in sparring/training.

I have personally broken forearms, jaws, and a cheekbone with a short, quick, twist of my wrist from trapping, and clinching ranges.

(it also allows me to throw three strikes with one motion - punch, wrist strike, elbow.)

If any discount it's (wrist stikes) viability, usefulness, and/or effectiveness, Thank You! The less of us out there, the better.

`~/

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 9:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The area of impact with the wrist is on the radial aspect. It helps to go from extension to flexion with the strike. Gives it that extra snap.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast