Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 12:40am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What are the history and mechanics of Drunken Fist style Kung Fu?

Suiken is the actual name for it, I think. Anyway, I've seen it in a few movies, and I've read some about it, and I know this: it's a very physically-demanding style that emphasizes staggering and quick movments to confuse your opponent and catch him off-guard, along with some rather creative angles of attack and dodging maneuvers. Could somone tell me more about the style, and how it works?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 12:56am

Style: JKD / Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    basically drunken fist is just a method of self defense that doesn't look like a method. It exists to be misleading and trick the opponent into thinking that you're not a threat, so you can end a fight quickly, and the staggering motion serves to make you harder to hit, especially the swaying of the waist. A target that's constantly at motion is a target that is seldom solidly hit, or at least that is the idea.

i'm not too sure where the idea came from, I've heard legends of drunken gods, but yeah..... take them with a grain of salt like any of the legends about the origins of a style. My teacher told me that the style was created in bar fights, and that's something I'm willing to believe. I'm not sure about specifics though. Drunken fist is probably the hardest style to accurately trace the origins of, due to the nature of the style and the teaching methods involved. I've tried to dig up research online, to little avail, so I'll echo the above, anyone that can tell me the roots of this style would recieve my gratitude. I'd like to know a bit more than legend and rumor, something more tangible would be nice.

Fancy a milkshake?

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 2:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.tiendaowushu.com/Articles2.html

Article from Karate illustrated in 1985, might tell you something.
    "Pussyhole"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 6:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As with many Chinese MA's the history is mixed in with a lot of legends. I haven't heared of a complete system per se, but there are styles that contain these "drunken" forms. Some are, Monkey and Pak Mei. The Northern Eagle Claw system's version of the "Eight Drunken Immortals" form has the most logical claims. It was said to have been created by Lau Fat Mon during the early 20th Century, in order to qualify for a military slot with the Chinese Armed Forces. AFAIK, his inspiration was from a popular Taoist legend. It seems to also have been the form that Jackie Chan's character learned in the movie "Drunken Master".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2004 1:00pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, "Eight Drunken Gods" was the style in Drunken Master. Anyway, thanks for the info so far. I hope I get some more responses, though...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2004 7:15pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Jackie Chan didn't invent it? lol. I read somewhere it was the "Eight Drunken Celestials." Bottom of this site has one definition: http://www.chi-lin.org/bober1.htm

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/29/2004 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was because of Jackie Chan that I went though all sorts of trouble to be able to drink Chinese rice wine. It tastes like weird sake. It's not as cool as I thought it was based on the drunken boxing films. :p

I also tried for a long time to learn about drunken styles but it was very hard to come up with any specific useful information. I did dig up one book full of drunken kata but that's all it was; just a drawing of things from some kata.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    9/29/2004 7:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a friend who trained at the Jackie Chan Stunt School in Hong Kong. His dad was a master of the drunken boxing style believe it or not.

Not wanting to tell tales, but he got in a lot of trouble for, literally, getting drunk and drunken boxing people to within an inch of their life. Couple of times, further than that. One attribute you have to develop is the strength of your wrist. By push ups on your wrist, punching with your wrist, (ie hitting with the back) and you also need to develop the pinching and grabbing strength of your fingers.

The guy did a ten year stint in a temple to learn it, and by the end of it, could crush bricks between his thumb and forefinger. Use that on somebody's throat and it's goodnight vienna.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/29/2004 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that was really something.

And I read it all the way to the end. Do you think that reflects poorly on me?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/29/2004 10:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mechanics

Drunken is one of those "exotic" Chinese styles. Which means that you really have to be a bad mother fucker to pull it off.

Drunken is physically demanding, for two reasons. The first as stated earlier here is developing the off balance one micro second, completely focused the next, which is really what it's all about. The second is that you are required to fall all over the place. There is lots of ground rolling, breakfalling, forwards, backwards, etc.

It's really cool to watch.

It's one thing I wanted to learn, but never did, and glad I didn't for the sake of the injuries I would have inevitably received.

history

For what its worth, I have the origins of Drunken emerging around 1430A.D. during the time of the Ming Dynasty with a man known as Kao Fu.

As with any Chinese martial arts history question, these things are up for debate, which I could care less about.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast