What do the words Ba Ji mean?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Geez, this still sounds like mystic CRAP. I'm sure the techniques are effective, but you can't tell me they take 10 years to learn.

Mainly because teachers of yore made you work on a few things at at time. Like I said before you may work on ONE sequence for 3 months!!! Granted you will build technique, strength and conditioning but you just did ONE sequence, quite frustrating. That is one reason BAJI hasn't been heard of much in the west until recently pple didn't want to stick around that long for the training. Other systems give you much quicker results. Modern training isn't as strenous anymore but some teachers still stick to the basic premisis so instead of doing ONE sequence you may do TWO.

The BAJIQUAN done as conteperary wushu is another matter all together.

>What do the words Ba Ji mean?
    BA/ HA = EIGHT JI /Kyoku = EXTREME or POLAR

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a video clip on CK. Look very...kung fu ;)
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting article!

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 7:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know where the 10 years came from. Is it in the CK article? I must have missed it. I was always kinda curious why my Sifu chose to teach me Baji, since the vast majority of his students only learn taiji. He himself has stated explicitly that Baji isn't as good as taiji. The only explanation he's given me so far (aside from the implied 'why do you give a ****? Baji is good stuff) is :

"With Baji you can make the most progress in the least time."

That seems to run counter to the 10 years idea. He's also said if you trained like a professional, 3 years was plenty.

BAH ! Puny Humans !
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar,

Sorry if my comment came across as harsh...I simply don't believe in this "sinking Qi", etc...and any skill that takes 3 years to learn is something I question.

I got 10 from the article: "...The first stage usually takes one to three years. After finishing the first stage, it can be said that the Ba Ji student has a small completion....

...[The Second] stage takes three more
    years. After this stage, one's external strength, internal feeling, and Qi Gung power should be great.

No person can claim that he has completed the highest level [Stage Three]. But there is a common saying: "After ten years of serious training, people can claim to have a big completion." "

If it took me 10 years for me to train my guards in a single art?!? I'm not saying the art itself is crap, I just get frustrated with some of this mystic/qi/"train ten years as a day" stuff. A friend of mine suggested I try Baji if I wanted to go into a Chinese art. May still give it a shot, but I'll probably do it when I'm a bit older and not as into the "active" fighting styles.

So you train it there? Do YOU enjoy it? Do you feel it's a good style for fighting/sparring/etc?

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know if this is true or not. I hear some of the Baji practitioners have to go on special diets because of the hight intensity of their exercises. Eating alot of meat and pork fat.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 3:15pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, apparently Liu Yun Chiao (sp?) recommended eating a serving of beef fat every day in order to help keep the joints lubricated.

It's the poster who's hotter than an erection that shows no affection.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/15/2003 8:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crimson,

If you question anything that takes 3 years to learn . . .? Violin? Medicine? Another language? Come on, your exagerating. I know the 10 years thing is in the article. I still don't know where it comes from. I disagree. If you train like a pro, and that's a big 'if', 3 years is plenty.

I'll go with 10 years if you want to know EVERYTHING there is to know about Baji. Sword forms, other weapons, various special training methods developed by various Sifu's etc., but to just learn the core of the style and be able to fight fight like the tazmanian devil on steroids - - >3 years is enough.

>probably do it when I'm a bit older and not as into the "active" fighting styles.

That would be a mistake. Baji is generally recommended for younger students as it IS an "active" fighting style and if your not in decent shape it can be a bit rough. At 32 my Sifu says I'm already starting kind of late. He says it's best started by the 16-25 set.

Freddy,
    I don't know about special diets. I think it's more of a general attitude that this is not a peacenik flower power vegetarian style. Baji people should eat meat. Preferably done rare and with lot's of tendons and sinews and fat in the meat. Sirloin steaks and raw eggs and that sort of thing.

One of the strengths of BAJI ! is not only the techniques but the general attitude that accompanies training. It's actually closer to a lot of western fighter psychological style. We don't sit in lotus. We don't like tofu. We aren't afraid to eat dead animals, especially the organs.

My Sifu kinda likes Wing Chun a bit. He admits they have a bit of nei-gong or internal power but compares the spirit to Baji. Wing Chun is still a bit of a namby pamby scholars style but BAJI ! is a MIGHTY GENERAL on the battlefield. It's not made for intelectuals, it's made for soldiers.

BAH ! Puny Humans !
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me rephrase: Any SINGLE skill. If it took you 3 years to learn how to perform surgery in your field, I'd say you're either learning impaired, an idiot or you're not practicing it enough. Especially physical skills.

(LANGUAGES?! Dude, if you can't learn proficiency in most languages with GOOD practice in less than 3 years, you need help.)

But I understand your point, and my larger concern was addressed by your "3 years of hard training should get you the core of the art"...that sounds more reasonable. Thank you for the reply.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"I would never, in my life, wear black silk underwear" -Classic JCVD
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast