Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 5:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no kick boxing, kyokushin, muay thai, or boxing places in my town. Only TKD an one karate place. The karate place sucked, all they did was forms, not to mention I have spared with a couple of his sudents and they sucked. I've decided to join the HS westling team next year and continue in BJJ.

Since I am a huge mma guy, just wondering, are there any pure grapplers, or ground and pound guys who do well in mma?

"How Long Do You Think It Would Take Me To Beat Her, 5 Seconds?" - Shoot Figher Alex Keenan Reffering to a TKD 2nd Degree BB Who Thought She Could Take Him.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 6:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Kyokushin doesn't allow head strikes with the fists...

Depends on where you compete.

>Since I am a huge mma guy, just wondering, are there any pure grapplers, or ground and pound guys who do well in mma?

It almost impossible to be a pure stylist can compete in mixed venue. You HAVE to crosstrain.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJGrappler,
    From the sound of things you're probably much better off wrestling. One of the few things I regret in this life is that I didn't wrestle in high school.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can definitely do well with just your BJJ but in todays MMA you would be facing(most likely) opponents schooled in every area of the arts and that would give them an advantage over you.

Vitor Riberio choked the 4th ranked shootfighter unconscious in less than a minute without throwing a single strike. He then choked Lion's Den fighter and former King of the Cage fighter Joe Hurley unconscious after taking him down at will.

He uses his BJJ very well to avoid strikes and take fighters down. He doesn't try and strike because he knows his ground skills are far better than his striking. If he can't get a takedown then he will get a CLINCH and work in close from there, depriving the other fighter of the distance needed to deliver punishing blows.

He's undefeated right now.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/14/2003 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ Grappler: Tito Ortiz, current UFC Light-heavyweight champ (BAH!) is a Ground-n-Pound type of guy. There are a few others...I think if you check out www.sherdog.com (yeah yeah, I know many people think he's a fat-assed parasite...I don't care, his site has info.) and look up some of the bios you'll find it lists different strengths including the Ground-n-Pound types.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12