Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in an area where there are few good MA schools. I was lucky to find my BJJ school. I can grapple, but I feel like I should be able to strike well, the only other schools in the area are TKD. Any Suggestions?

"How Long Do You Think It Would Take Me To Beat Her, 5 Seconds?" - Shoot Figher Alex Keenan Reffering to a TKD 2nd Degree BB Who Thought She Could Take Him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 3:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Muay Thai!!!!!!!!!!

2. Boxing

if you **** find these, the rest is shite, just becum a good grappler, and strike from the mount, you don't need to learn jabs, crosses, and hooks to pummel someone from the top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IGBJJ, what striking do you do?

"How Long Do You Think It Would Take Me To Beat Her, 5 Seconds?" - Shoot Figher Alex Keenan Reffering to a TKD 2nd Degree BB Who Thought She Could Take Him.

Edited by - BJJ Grappler on January 11 2003 15:32:45

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    guess you big stud muffin

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a difference between boxing punches and Muay Thai punches?

who are you other than some PEA in a POD! go take a karate class you DYKE!

--Jamoke
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the actual hand movements are basically the same, the big difference is how the feet and hips work.

boxers have more of a closed stance, because they don't have to worry about their legs being kicked. Thai-boxers use an open stance in order to get their shield up quicker.

IMO, the open stance allows more for quicker and more thorough hip rotation. The closed stance, however, can generate a lot of power from the back hand, and the jab is closer to its target already.......pick your poison.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    1/11/2003 8:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of Muay Thai fighters cross-train boxing, mostly to work on their punching skills. It helps with footwork too.

You may need to modify your stance a bit further if you do MMA. Takedown defence and a good position for tie-ups and throws are important. Your fighting style is also determines what stance you use, as does how you are built.

One other thing to remember, if you take a stance in a clinch to avoid strikes, you can get thrown easy. If you try to avoid throws in a clinch, you're gonna eat a few strikes. (This is mainly from watching how a sanshou guy and a muay thai guy would fight MMA) You also need to learn how to sprawl fast.

Oh, finally, if you transition from a striking stance to one in preparation for a shoot for a takedown, don't telegraph it too much.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 7:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could also do Kyokushin (sport fighting karate, practically identical to Muay Thai.) San Shou is also another good alternative: basically kickboxing with some throws - if you can find one that does elbow and knee strikes then go, but only if you can;t fine a MT or Boxing place. Kyokushin would be better than san shou without elbows/knees imo - you already know the grappling part :)

Also there is full contact kickboxing if you can't find a Muay Thai, Boxing or Kyokushin place.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 7:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin doesn't allow head strikes with the fists...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast