Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Chemist

Posted On:
    9/10/2004 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used my ki to hit Matt W. in the head with my padded sword...... When he hit me in the head with his padded sword, I think he used his arms.........
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2004 4:55pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was actually a pretty interesting read, though speaking on the cutting versatility of a double-edges blade, an important skill in kenjutsu is quick rotation of the blade in your grip for sneaking in such cuts. The back corner of the sword can be used for hard blocking and bashing.

Also, I'm a little suprised that while he pointed out the earlier samurai would be using primarily tachi (a longer, heavier battlefield sword used by samurai), spears, and archery, the comparison seemed to be largely drawn using the more recent katana design. Many of the advantages of the medieval great sword's reach and strength would be reduced against a tachi. Even then, from what I know the tachi was more or less a backup weapon next to the polearm, which if we are talking in the context of a battlefield would be a far more likely weapon the European would be up against.

And personally, I'd put one of these against a plate-armored knight with a longsword/shield any day :-D
    [IMG]

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    9/10/2004 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the obvious bias and reactionary nature of the essay, who would win between Mike Tyson and Mohammed Ali in their respective primes?
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 4:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee via 3 inch punch to Ali's bundle of hiss stopping his heart ala "D34TH T0UCH"
    Scaring Tyson back to prison.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 5:33am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And personally, I'd put one of these against a plate-armored knight with a longsword/shield any day :-D
    Yeah, but for the knight the sword was also a secondary weapon for close combat; his main armament was a FUCKIN ENORMOUS lance, according to the history of the crusades

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 6:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used my ki to hit Matt W. in the head with my padded sword...... When he hit me in the head with his padded sword, I think he used his arms.........
    Man, that cracked me up!

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 7:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Little Idea
    Aside from the obvious bias and reactionary nature of the essay, who would win between Mike Tyson and Mohammed Ali in their respective primes?
    Too bad I cannot find the link. Ive read, maybe a year ago, an article written by some expert in boxing. It described how a fight between the best Tyson and the best Ali would have gone. If I remmember correclty, Tyson landed Ali in the fourth, but Ali won by corner stoppage at sixth or so...
    You may argument agains such claims, but it was fun to read.

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 8:32am

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason it was Longsword and Board versus Katana is because the romantic image involves these.

Realistically NEITHER opponent would be using a sword as a primary weapon.

Samurai would tend to have a bow and a Nagi or Yari or other such polearm, maybe a Tetsubo.
    (And the Tetsubo would even work against the armor).

The Knight would have a Lance if mounted. If on foot he'd have Bow and a Polearm of some sort, or if he kept shield, he'd probably have a hammer, mace, or flail. Flails in the hands of someone good with them are just scary.

Honestly, the report's not the best it could be, and Clements is a fighter not a scholar, no doubt there. But it's fairly accurate when it comes to Katana versus sword and board. Which is what it was addressing primarily.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if we're going to be realistic here then we'd be talking about pesant armies battling it out.

I want to see a fully armored cage fight.

I'd bet on the knight though they've got metal armour. Its a huge technological advantage, you dont think the samuri would have been wearing bamboo if they had large iron mines do you?

Would horses fit in the octagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 12:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by SCO
    After analyzing a multitude of encounters, discussions, articles and threads I conclude: MA are just an excuse for role playing. Which is a prepubescent activity. Hence MA are part of an attempt to remain in a prepubescent state of personal development.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast