Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Working out with mouthpiece in

I recently started training for boxing, and I was getting to the point where I could do the exercises with ease, meaning not passing out. Then the coach had me start doing the exercises with the mouthpiece in. It was like I started all over again. Trying to breath out my nose while doing cardio is like breathing through a straw. If I try to breath out my mouth I wind up choking on the mouthpiece or the gallon of saliva that somehow winds up collecting in there. Basically does anyone else train this way? Do only boxers do this or is it a univesal thing? And how long did it take you to adapt to it?

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 10:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you have a mouthpiece with a hole in the middle?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I have the cheap 2 dollar one right now, I'm looking for a better one but I'm such a geek I have to research them first. I'm thinking about just buying a bunch of different ones

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 10:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everlast, it's $20

and you can breate!!!!

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my gym we only train with the mouthpice while sparring. I t took me a while to get confortable with it, and to breath properly, but it happened.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 6:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The purpose is to get you used to weaing the mouthpiece come competition time. It also offers some protection. Thus, the best way to go for it is to train using the mouthpiece you plan to use in the maqtch you're preparing for. Like has been said previously, it's worth a try to use a quality type that you're comfortble with.

Here, it's hard to obtain the Everlast mouthpiece they describe, so I asked my relatives in the States to buy one for me and send it here soon. Meanwhile, I have a dental laboratory manufacture a custom one for me, based on specifications made by my dentist after an examination. Just not sure how well it can protect against concussion compared to the Everlast, but I find it better than the off-the-shelf cheap type. It's more expensive, but it's more than worth it if it gives you superior protection and helps performance.
    Last edited by X_plosion; 9/09/2004 6:38am at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i use a shock doctor 3.0

wear it all the time during san da/grappling (i wear my cup during all MA training, especially when working with new students.)

you know the drill, you're holding a kicking shield for a newbie and they kick too low and get you right in the nuts. or you're holding punching mits and they miss the pad and punch you in the face.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
    you know the drill, you're holding a kicking shield for a newbie and they kick too low and get you right in the nuts. or you're holding punching mits and they miss the pad and punch you in the face.
    You wear a cup on your face? :p

I've never caught the "self defense" kick while holding a shield, but I've been kicked in the elbows (from those darn inaccurate kickers) and punched in the face, but I do know what you mean.

The mouthpiece I use is the ShockDoctor Power Ultra. It's a single side mouthpiece (probably better to use a double for boxing, though), but it's got an extra "bridge" in the back for your molars (with a hole for breathing). It keeps my jaw aligned and stable during the rough housing that we do.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Jaguar Wong
    You wear a cup on your face? :p

I've never caught the "self defense" kick while holding a shield, but I've been kicked in the elbows (from those darn inaccurate kickers) and punched in the face, but I do know what you mean.

The mouthpiece I use is the ShockDoctor Power Ultra. It's a single side mouthpiece (probably better to use a double for boxing, though), but it's got an extra "bridge" in the back for your molars (with a hole for breathing). It keeps my jaw aligned and stable during the rough housing that we do.
    my shock doctor is the same design basicly. works great, highly recommended.

no cup on the face... just saying that the 2 protective devices i think should be worn at all times are the mouthguard and cup. you never know when you'll catch an accidental shot and you should get used to wearing them for competition.

i been holding the kicking shield for a newbie doing roundhouse kicks and WHAM she aimed low and caught me in the nuts. glad i was wearing the cup.

then just last week, was doing a front kick drill with another newbie (we do push kicks to each other's stomachs, light to medium force back and forth.) lo and behold he isn't flexible to kick at stomach level and delivers a few right to my nuts. also glad i was wearing the cup.

a while back we were doing armbar drills (from the guard) and i got kicked in the face when my partner was swinging her leg around... VERY glad i was wearing a mouthguard. but hey it doesn't help all the time, i accidentally did the same thing back to her a week later but clocked her in the temple with my shin (ouch! damn i felt really bad about that, must be my jewish guilt kicking in.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj