Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 9:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a general rule, at our classes men are usually paired with men. I was told not to take women down in vale tudo. I agree in a way, I've seen people abuse their "knowledge" of groundwork before.

That said, there is the problem they're not fully testing their skills.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To hijack the thread yet again and add a post that has NOTHING to do with JKDChick's question (since it seems obvious there's not going to be much discussion on that point):

Someone noted the importance of knowing what it's like to be attacked by someone bigger and stronger than you. This does not just apply to women, but also to large men. I'm a very large guy, not gigantically tall but broad-shouldered and just all-around big. Now, that can be nice when you're playing football or digging ditches, but it does mean that for most of your life, especially if you live in a small town, you get used to being the biggest or close to it. In anything that involves direct physical competition, like football or fighting, this means you can get away with lapses in technique and conditioning that others can't, and that's dangerous. It essentially means that training can sometimes feel easier for you than for others, but we all know that's dangerous because training is not meant to be easy.

In my case, when I tried to transition to college football, there was a period of shock when I realized that there were guys who were both bigger and much quicker than I was. Then when I wrestled a friend who couldn't have weighed over 130 soaking wet and he cradled me as if I were a child, there was another epiphany.

It's too easy to think that being big and strong means you don't have to worry about the things other people do. It's actually true in a lot of ways, but the exceptions will kill you.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 9:44pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Totally. Like, are all you guys 260 and 6'3"? Because if you're not, you're in the same boat as me a lot. Now, a guy in my weight class is going to be stronger than I am (so my 'real' weight class is probably 20-30 pounds lighter than my actual weight) and that's not necessarily going to be the truth for a man, but there is ALWAYS someone out there bigger, stronger, faster, meaner and more skilled.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

When i say "Up your @ss", you say "Oh yes" AHAHAHA

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 9:51pm

Style: THE PEAK OF BAD TASTE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i used to be 6' 2" and 275
    yeah, it sucked

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    9/11/2004 11:26pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5'8" 161lbs and dropping ^_^

Yeah, I have to deal with a lot of big fuckers; I like to think of it as weight lifting.

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    9/12/2004 2:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just a young pup, still growing, heh. About 5'11'' 185, and with some of the monstrous pros down here, I would say that I am very much in your boat. Just as guys who are technically your size are stronger, I am no where near as strong or agile as the middle weights, even if they cut to 185.

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 1:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    edward, please only tell true stories. That was a fucking stupid troll attempt. How, pray tell, does one demonstrate such a technique?
    I realize this is ancient friggin' history but...

I studied with Jay Lale in the early/mid 90's. I never once heard him describe exactly that technique... But from Jay I wouldn't be surprised. He did often advocate things like jabbing your thumb through an eye and using the thumb grip on the inside of the head combined with splayed fingers on the outside of the temple as a way to get great leverage as you drove your opposing elbow through the skull.

He was an interesting guy. And a superb martial artist. Dunno where he is now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 5:51am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer the original question, (and hopefully like a fucking grownup) in kyokushin in the entire country I wouldn't say that we have ten practicing adult female karateka. One of which however is a third dan and a couple others are Sempais.

The rest would be high kyu grades or training either knockdown, or on our national clicker (our non-contact version of fighting), or national kata teams. In other words speaking strictly for my own style, in my own country, women generally either don't last or end up getting really good I don't know why this is I just find in general that they don't tend to be dabblers. Which is actually fine by me...

Speaking in general, there are no women MMA-ists in my hometown, a few in the capital. In the college where I study the Muai Thai and TKD classes tend to enroll most of the girls from what I can see but the TKD classes tend to have the most student retention.

However the TKD classes tend to revolve more around the social side of college life (i.e; getting Freshers drunk and laid) than actually practicing their martial art and I've had harder shites than some of the (occasional) spars I've had with their black belts.

The Muai Thai classes are actually pretty good generally starting sparring and hard conditioning by halfway through the first semester but as soon as the fighting starts the ladies tend to disappear for the most part.

We also have a local kickboxing gym which is actually fairly popular with women having a couple of female instructors.

I've two females (one girl about twelve one grown woman) in my own dojo and to be honest I tend to ignore the fact that they are women as much as possible within reason. (eg; in sparring no punches to the upper chest, separate changing rooms of course, etc.) I just treat the woman as I would a slightly smaller guy and adapt the fighting style I teach her accordingly and as for the girl, she kinda kicks ass...

I've taught women's self-defense classes of up to fifteen women/girls where I've ended up rolling around on the ground with all of them at one time or another during the class, either exhibiting various techniques or going through a specific scenario...I find most of them tend to enjoy the class and not get too weirded out and I get pretty good feedback, generally because I concentrate on teaching the technique or performing the exercise correctly rather than looking at their fucking thongs/cleavage...

For all that though, few stay for the karate class, the main reason simply being (so they tell me ) that they don't want a load of bruises on their arms and suchlike visible when they go out....

Oh I'm 6 2" 248lbs (112kg) and actually I kinda like fighting guys bigger than me... if you win it's more of an achievement:happy:

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 9:37am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer the original question I teach a mixed program (MMA, but with kung fu/Kaju as it's striking base), and I have about 20-30% women in my classes. Given that, I do notice a general preference (there are exceptions) among the women that they enjoy the striking and escrima we teach over the grappling. In particular, they don't have a strong like of judo and wrestling, though they do enjoy the submission wrestling once things click and they start tapping out larger opponents.

Mainly, I think it is the size issue, where most women are simply smaller than the men in class, and so grow frustrated when they free spar with grappling. Good technique makes everything better, and small people can of course throw bigger people with ease, but size helps compensate for skill and makes the initial learning easier, which makes the grappling simply less fun.

As an instructor, I try and instill confidence in people of smaller stature (of both sexes), that grappling is both doable and fundamentally important, and I have some success, but it is a hard task.

Just my thoughts...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 11:16am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    Yes, actually, I was. I mean, look at the pcitures on that stupid Abir webiste from Israel (from nutkicker's 'Fight This!' thread). No women. But is that cultural or art realted? Are there ANY women in Israel training in MA?
    Seeing as israel is the only culture in the world at the present that conscripts women into combat roles in the military, i'd say there isnt any stigma about chicks learning to fight there.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast