Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:03pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Zing!
    My school is 10% women at the most. I think that lot of this has to do with the way that people are raised. From a very young age, girls are not exposed to the degree of violence that boys are.
    Actually, I believe it has more to do with being exposed to COMPETITION than violence; that, and being socially sensitive to what girls and boys are supposed to like.

Since only a small percentage of girls play sports to any decent level, they don't get used to the idea of personal excellence and competing. In fact, our culture says thay girls aren't supposed to be competitive at all, just nice and friendly and helpful. So it's not "feminine" to like to play -- and win. It's the same reason there are very few excellent female chess players.

Face the facts, the combat arts are about WINNING, about improving your body, mind and technique to the end of defeating your opponent one-on-one and possibly doing them great physical harm in the process. This is not 'ladylike' and most women would rather not develop those skills, with teh subsequent withdrawal of social approval and opportunities to pair-bond with a male.

Lonely as I am, I would rather be alone than curtail my training for a man. There aren't many women who can/will make such a sacrifice. The TMA's are better for that (as most of them are taught), sicne they provide the illusion of being a fighter without actually haveing to compete at anything.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:03pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I completely agree. In the violent cartoons and movies that I mentioned, most of the violence is perpetrated by men. Kill Bill was not the first action movie with a strong female lead. But as you said, she wasn't objectified. In that, I feel that it was a serious innovation. I don't know when I saw an action movie with a female lead who wasn't presented as a sex object before Kill Bill. Hopefully, this is a trend. Could this mean more women seriously participating in martial arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:05pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agreed with Shumagorath in my last post, but JKDChick makes a very good point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The harder the knocks, the fewer the women.
    Big surprise.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing Judo MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by JKDChick

...opportunities to pair-bond with a male.

Well that pretty much managed to make it sound disagreably unpleasant

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:18pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lonely as I am, I would rather be alone than curtail my training for a man. There aren't many women who can/will make such a sacrifice. The TMA's are better for that (as most of them are taught), sicne they provide the illusion of being a fighter without actually haveing to compete at anything.
    Huh? Most guys in martial arts will SCRAMBLE for a woman who does martial arts.

If your classes are mostly men, why are you lonely?

Maybe there's another reason you're lonely than martial arts? You never get hit on by guys in your classes?

Then, again, I was up in Canada for a while, and would try to hit on Canadian women, and they were even worse than American women if you can believe it. They always had some reason they didn't want to go out with somebody. It was like they were in Anne of Avonlea and couldn't just go out with a guy, but had to obsess about it endlessly for months on end.

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [B]Lonely as I am, I would rather be alone than curtail my training for a man. There aren't many women who can/will make such a sacrifice.
    Seems like you were in a situation where you had to make a decision. I will not ask you for personal issues, but I think this is not the point to the matter at hand, althrough all your post was quite reasonable.

I don´t think most women has to chose between a relationship and a sport (the same could be told from men who do sports).

I beleive women are less confortable with activities that could lead to them harming another people, like MAs. If this is from education or have a biological basis, it´s another debate.

Of course, there are exceptions (take JKDchick as an example, or those women who join the army). But they are the exceptions, most of the time, not the rule. At least, in my country.

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by edward
    Huh? Most guys in martial arts will SCRAMBLE for a woman who does martial arts.
    I subscribe that, and the more ass they can kick, the more I like them.

Then, again, I was up in Canada for a while, and would try to hit on Canadian women, and they were even worse than American women if you can believe it. They always had some reason they didn't want to go out with somebody. It was like they were in Anne of Avonlea and couldn't just go out with a guy, but had to obsess about it endlessly for months on end.
    That pisses me off too. I´m tired of all those women who endlessly complain about the little to none booty they´re getting, but won´t get laid with me. If it´s just sex what they want, anybody would do, right?

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    apparently not.....
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Solid
    Well that pretty much managed to make it sound disagreably unpleasant
    funny... I thought it sounded rather hot.

EDIT: yeah, I am postwhoring to try to read the new message... but it was hot.
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast