Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 7:03pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Toronto Spring McThrowdown 2004 (Pics and short clip coming soon?)

Well, I thought we had at least 8-10 people coming for sure.
    But at least two DID show up

Repulsive Monkey waited for quite a bit, haha sorry, and Shumagorath showed up later on looking hot in a newer haircut. Well, so we didn't go to the park as we origally planned. We waited around an hour before deciding to head UoToronto Campus to try and use one of their rooms.
    The rooms were being used so we walked over to the field nearby.

RM and Shuma went at it first, doing some randori. Shuma finally got a nice throw off and sent RM flying. Doesn't it suck trying to throw shorter guys than you?

Did some grappling drills, and exchanged some ideas about grappling and SD stuff.

I forgot all about asking her to take out her camera so there isn't too much of Shumagorath, but a lot more of myself and RM. And honestly.......I have a nicer ass.

Me Vs. RM - The grapple. I start off by trying a flying triangle. He's shorter, so that helps, but that gets blocked but I am able to retain my footing. Blah blah blah..........he has gotten a lot better since the last time I sparred him, didn't get his back at all and got MY back several times. Er......I gave him my back, yes, that's it. Escaped a RNC if I can remember, basically...........he owned me otherwise.

Did some drills with Shuma, don't exactly remember the time frame here. He was nice enough to kick me with his heel in the nose while going for an armbar.

Shuma vs RM: The MMA. Didn't remember too much of this, except that some smiley old guy was watching them when they were rolling around on the ground. RM ended in mount when time was up.

Me VS RM again: The MMA. Strikes coming at me was nice, haven't done much sparring recently. And no striking/kickboxing style sparring since the last TO McThrowdown. Was able to shut him down somewhat and catch quite a few kicks, though I think only two of mine were caught. I found it a lot harder to take this mainly Tai Chi guy down even on one leg. BALANCEOWNE3! Near the end he got mount again and I JUST escaped as time ran out.

My friend has a nice picture of my coming out his ass......uh....post it when/if I get it? Maybe.....

The turnout wasn't what we expected but the weather was simply amazing.
    Last edited by PizDoff; 2/10/2008 2:03pm at .
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It happend, but it was just me, Repulsive and Piz. We went to Hart House at the university to see if we could still catch my MMA club (which was pretty dead today too). Since the Judo club took over we went outside to the back field and had a nice open area in the sun.

Started with grappling from a standing start. Piz had some trouble with Repulsive's positioning, but I managed to throw him with Osoto gari, Kouchi gari and Harai Goshi, the latter of which I didn't know would even work without a gi. As my first grappling session without a gi, it was quite a refreshing change, but I was able to adapt my Judo quickly.

At some point I was showing Piz some ground work from BJJ/Judo and triangled him. In retrospect, I forgot to angle and that's probably why it took so long to tap him. Well, that and the really ugly armbar I tried on his super-flexible elbows.

The remainder of the time consisted of standup striking with groundwork "when it happens". I still retreat way too much, so Repulsive took some time to drill with me and see if I could overcome some of my bad point fighting habits from my last school. More training against leg kicks and some bag work is in order. Also, both fights ended with time being called while Repulsive had me in the mount, so it's clear that I need to work on my reversals under pressure of striking.

I'm disappointed that my guys didn't show up either, but I think we made quite a throwdown for three people.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 5/29/2004 7:11pm at .

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 7:15pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Epiloge:
    :D
    It turned out later that one of my other MA friends (not from TO originally) had showed up but got lost wandering aroudn the outside of the park. We met him back at my friend's house.

He had a nice mid afternoon meal at Pho Hung. :D

I have all these weird small bruises and marks on my right arm, but none on my left. WTF?
    Sprained finger and ankle, though those are my weak points.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 10:05pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi Ownzzzz!111!!

I was disappointed with the turnout, but Shuma, Pizd and I had a good time. Shuma's throwing has gotten a lot better and he tossed my ass good a couple of times. I threw him a bunch, but nothing . . . you know, IPPON-worthy. I also felt way too stiff during that match (our first) and had to rethink my approach a bit. Later, I fought both Shuma and Pizd semi-MMA-style. Integrating strikes into the whole thing really changes the dynamic. My ground-fighting skills are really limited and I have only been concentrating on positioning for the past while. I prefer to get to my feet whenever possible, but have started trying to work the mount as well. Each time, we swapped some good shots, grappled a bit and wound up going to the ground, where I more or less worked the G&P. And then we went to lunch. It was tasty. The end.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left RM a message, but I will reiterate here:

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLLLLLY apologize guys, but I got back on Friday night and was informed by my parents that they had set up a meeting with a real estate agent/condo complex for me to view a bunch of models/floorplans and potentially buy a condo (building to be ready in about 2 years). The appointment was for noon, but didn't actually get started until almost 12:45...from there, it was a long, arduous task of questioning, interrogating, negotiating and questioning (again!)....and then signing a bunch of stuff.

It was past 4 before I was done, and I still hadn't eaten anything all day, I had just signed to buy a condo (which means a BIG ASSED MORTGAGE JUST FUCKING TOOK A BITE OUT OF MY FUTURE FINANCIAL PLANS!) and I really needed nourishment. It was almost 5 before I was done and from there I wouldn't have made it down until at least 5:30 if not closer to 6 (depending on traffic and the fact that I had to stop at my apartment because I'd forgotten a bunch of gear in my morning scramble).

I will speak with RM in the near future to try and sort something out for a Sunday up at my dojo. You did get my message, right RM?
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got it, daddy-o. Congratulations again on the condo.

Getting together at your dojo sounds great. Just let us know the wheres and whens.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to accomodate everyone. I will need to speak with you more about this privately. I'm out of town this coming weekend and the following weekend. I'll be aiming for soon after that.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2004 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not like that, baby. Come on! What CT and I have is just physical. When you and I fight, it's making pain.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2004 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be in town this coming weekend. So does anyone want to get together? It could be a small one like the one you guys just had. 4 people this time?

Posted On:
    5/31/2004 4:16pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When? What time? I guess I'm up for it.

BTW, Shuma, RM
    What was the name of the throw that RM got on me? I think it was some type of hip throw?
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast