Unemployed

Posted On:
    9/07/2004 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yoga study at my university

It does not surprise me at all that something like this would come out of my university. A study to prove the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS -- Yoga by itself doesn't do much in the way of weight loss.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_health_s...%3fformat=html

Yoga no good for weight loss: Study
    Print Email Email Alert
    Sep 3, 2004

Practicing yoga can enhance a workout but it is an inadequate substitute for vigorous exercise such as aerobics, according to a recent study.

Yoga offers less than half the physical benefits of even a light to moderate walk, the study by researchers at Texas State University concluded.

"Yoga's a good form for flexibility and muscular fitness, but it's not so good for weight loss and aerobic conditioning," said Lisa Lloyd, an assistant professor of health, physical education and recreation at Texas State.

"Unfortunately, the general public doesn't realize it's a good supplemental exercise, but shouldn't be someone's sole activity," Lloyd said in a written statement.

The eight-week study, to be published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, was spurred by the growing popularity of yoga and a concern by the researchers that too many people may forego tougher physical fitness activities thinking that yoga alone is enough to improve their health.

The study compared the energy consumption of a 30-minute yoga session versus a light walk on a treadmill.

Lloyd and coauthor Carolyn Clay said they found that "hatha" yoga - the term for the physical elements of yoga - is not nearly as beneficial as aerobic exercise for cardiovascular conditioning, muscular development or weight loss.

Although a yoga routine produced high heart rates in the 30 college-age women who participated in the study, Lloyd said that may be a result of holding the same position for a long time.

The effect was not enough to improve cardiovascular health or control weight, the study found.
    I'm posting this for two reasons:

1.) To make fun of my university.
    2.) In case you have a retarded friend who thinks he/she is going to get super-lean-sexy-muscle by doing yoga alone.

**And in case YOU'RE retarded, note that I didn't say yoga is bad. It's great to supplement your exercise and diet regimen.
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    9/07/2004 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. You mean stretching is no substitute for exercise, even with a Sanskrt name?

Next you'll be telling me that if you weight train and get aerobic exercise, but don't work your flexibility, you'll turn into one of those typical tight-bodied Western athletes who develop lower back pain in their mid 30s that haunts them for the rest of their life...

:rollseyes:
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2004 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I was going to be able to punch people from across the room and breathe fire like Dhalsim.

Next you'll be telling me that my thirty minutes a week of tai chi isn't a viable martial art.

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 8:59pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait a second. I have to the conclusion Yoga will always be cool, because there's always insanly hot girls in it, wearing tights.

Posted On:
    9/09/2004 9:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris B has contorted the correct into the downward dog position