Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These competitions, such as the UFC, are managed by people who do business in the grappling arts. This is why the victors usually end up being grapplers.

Tkae, for example, karate as a striking art:

Karate is designed to be a high-risk, high-yield martial art that is designed to finish within the first few blows. Victims of succesful blows are not meant to get up. Just had had a look at the UFC Fouls list, and many techniques from striking arts that are damaging are banned. Karate isn't meant to tangle/grapple with the opponent, it's meant to cripple quickly. In a two on one in the street, I'm not going to have time to roll around with one guy cause his buddy is gonna kick my face in. It's more practical to strike a sensitive area such as the throat, eyes, groin, or knees on one guy so he's out for a few seconds and then run the hell out of there.

Of course, since crippling strikes are very damaging, they are banned from competition. This is why strikers have a disadvantage in these events.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying striking/karate is the best. After I've had significant experience in Shotokan, I'm going to move to something like BJJ to cover grappling. I'm just saying that the reason strikers don't seem to be effective in the UFC or similar events is because the effective strikes/techniques for them are banned.

However, the UFC has educated us. It has taught us that it doesn't matter much what style or art you do that makes a good fighter. It's a big, muscle-bound guy that makes a good fighter. What if Mike Tyson took karate? He's a big psycopath, and I know I wouldn't want to mess with him.

Phil

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just have to say a feeeeew more things about Migo because he is the most faggotty mutherfukker Ive even seen. I cant tell if he's serious half the time or just babbling like a retarded kid lost in the candy store just so someone will notice him.

I wouldnt leave this idiot home alone with my DOG. Who the fuk knows what he might do? Im SURE hes looked at a dog and wanted to screw it before. Does ANYONE doubt that? Hes probably some recluse that lives in his mothers house while his mothers body is decomposing in the basement dressed in bondage leather. He probably collects her social security checks and buys mail order brides that he can fuk kill and eat without anyone noticing. All in all he fascinates me tho. Im sure he would want to kill me if we ever met. He seems to be in love with me and he hangs on my every word and action. I purposely do and say things to irritate him. I even quoted MYSELF as my Signature on www.martialway.com just to see if that act of arrogance would enrage him and make him say something in haste, giving me the right to abuse and defile his name as I saw fit. He didnt bite tho. So now I have to ruthlessly attack him without just cause. Fuk it tho. He likes the attention. One day im going to get him so mad that hes going to have a psychotic episode and think his mothers corpse is crawling out out the basement to devour him. Then they'll lock him away in a dingy institue for the criminally insane where he'll gibber to himself and say my name over and over while he claws at the walls and masturbates upside down so he can shhot himself in the face.

When this comes to pass I'll consider my job well done.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, you need a valium and some heavy therapy.

McDojo, is it what you do or is it what you think?
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand... why don't you train in grappling at your Shotokan school? Haven't you heard of Combat Shotokan, which incorporates a grappling system far more effective than BJJ? Be sure to ask your Sensei about this the next time you're at class.

After I've had significant experience in Shotokan, I'm going to move to something like BJJ to cover grappling.
    Phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Au contraire,

Strikers have done quite well in the UFC. Examples might include Don Frye, Marco Ruas, Maurice Smith... thing is, they are all extensively cross-trained in grappling and submission, so they know what to do if the fight goes to the ground.

It is the PURE strikers that don't stand a chance in these kinds of events.

I'm just saying that the reason strikers don't seem to be effective in the UFC or similar events is because the effective strikes/techniques for them are banned.

Phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote]
    I don't understand... why don't you train in grappling at your Shotokan school? Haven't you heard of Combat Shotokan, which incorporates a grappling system far more effective than BJJ? Be sure to ask your Sensei about this the next time you're at class.

[quote]

I'm taking traditional Shotokan Karate of the SKIF. We do some grappling like joint locks and throws, but no "rolling around on the floor," grappling. I'll check this Combat Shotokan out.

Phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 9:32pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peepee your job will never be done. You're trying stuff which Phrost's already done and had no effect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2002 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    migo = Mi-Go? As in Fungus from Yuggoth?

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    7/29/2002 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ruk EVERY striker you mention had EXTENSIVE grappling training.

Phil, what 'Destructive Blows' from Karate are not allowed in the UFC? In the first UFC EVERY strike was allowed, including groin strikes. They were allowed up until the 4th UFC and NOONE landed any 'Crippling Blows'.

Whoever is telling you this stuff needs to get a wake up call. Karate is great if you use it in the way that in CAN be used and not the way these frauds TELL YOU it can be used.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2002 5:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have yet to see any of these "crippling Karate blows". Even in all Karate full-contact tournaments like the Sabaki challenge, or the Kyokushin tournament in Fighting Black Kings, the fighters look like two women slapping each other.

Or that tape of the TKD kid fighting that Muay Thai exponent. TKD and Karate practicioners have similar methods of training. Basically a lot of useless forms. A lot of unrealistic one-step drills, a lot of unrealistic sparring (often where the students refuse to hurt their classmates), etc.

Also, to any traditional MA practicioner who says that the UFC or the NHB isn't "realistic", if you think your style works in a "realistic" situation, why not compete? If your style can beat down entire armies with no weapons, or destroy someone's internal organs, beating a mixed martial artist in the ring or in your dojo should be no problem.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast